Monster Legacy

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RetroCrumpet, Jan 21, 2014.

1. RetroCrumpet

RetroCrumpet Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Dundee
    Hi guys,

I'm very excited to finally show off Monster Legacy to a wider audience! Monster Legacy is a Monster Catching / Battiling game with a strong exploration element.We've been working on the game for over a year and we're finally approaching the finish line.

[​IMG]

Journey across the world of Arborea to fight against Lord Ardur, capturing, training, evolving and battling Monsters along the way. We've taken a lot of input from successful titles on other hand held devices and bundled this into an intuitive game play experience for mobile. Our core aim was to deliver a game with depth and quality, but something you could play for as little or as long as you wanted. We currently have hours of content and over a hundred Monsters to discover, battle and capture so there's always something to do and work towards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We've taken a lot of player feedback on board over the last few months, we actually had an energy system in the game originally that was completely removed as we all felt, and players felt, it just stopped you having fun - which is an odd mechanic to have in a game! ;)

Overall we're REALLY chuffed about the project and where it's going, we're not quite at the release date announcement yet, but we're very close.

Any feedback, questions, or funny monster names you have let me know! ;D

I'll keep you all updated with changes, updates and progress, but if you're keen for more please consider liking us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/MonsterLegacy

Thanks for reading!

[​IMG]

2. Devster3

Devster3 Active Member

Mar 22, 2011
    The art is very attractive, I would love to see more. Any way you can post a trailer or some footage of a battle?

3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The art does look good and the game sounds interesting.

4. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Sweet looking monsters :) will there be beta testing and when will it start..?

5. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Love the art! Will be watching out for this title. It has cought my attention :)

6. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Love the artwork of monsters too much. Waiting for the gameplay video of the game.

7. RetroCrumpet

RetroCrumpet Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Dundee
    Hey guys!

Thanks so much for the feedback, it's a great feeling to FINALLY be putting the game out there.

In terms of next steps, i'll be doing the following:

• Release the Intro Video
    • Release a "What is Monster Legacy" video

I'll also keep you up-to-date with more screen shots and content!

Promo Code wise we'll be looking to send some out so i'll keep you all updated.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, keep the questions coming and i'll make sure to post these videos ASAP

8. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Wow! Nice art!

9. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Sounds good, I look forward to hearing more as it's hard to know exactly what to expect at the minute. When you mention promo codes do you mean near release or for testing?

10. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Looks really interesting! I'm wondering how the gameplay actually works though? Does this play similarly to League of Heroes with a monster catching mechanic?

11. YoloMcSwaggin

YoloMcSwaggin Active Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Looking forward to this title and would love some promo codes, but I have to ask, is there a virtual joystick to move your character or just a touch to move style?

12. Jxsgamer

Jxsgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    USA
    I'll be looking to try this when its ready.

13. RetroCrumpet

RetroCrumpet Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Dundee
    Hey guys,

Again, thanks so much for the positive feedback, apologies for my delayed reply but I was down in London last week and had limited access to consistent (read: good) WiFi ;)

I'll have a small gameplay video ready to go up mid-week for you all to look at, but below are some answers / comments for you all:

The game is touch to move - we don't have a virtual joypad. We've tried to keep it as natural for mobile as possible and feel this is the best way!

Battle, while on the surface looks simple, can be difficulty to master. We have four element types - Air, Earth, Fire and Water. Each has an advantage over another (i.e. Fire > Earth) but also a disadvantage (i.e. Water > Fire). Because of this you need to keep on your toes with who you take on your party. While adventuring you can take 3 monsters into a level with you - you can capture as many as you want and swap them here and there, but when you first enter the level you need to pick your three to journey with you. When in Battles you have four attack options:

• Physical Attack
    • Magical Attack
    • Stats Attack
    • Elemental Attack

These basically do what they say on the tin ;)

In terms of battle, we have mechanics you'll instantly recognize. Use attacks to lower an opponents health, then either defeat that Monster or use Traps to capture them.

On the adventuring side, we have 21 levels each with 3 quests. You complete these quests to unlock the next level. These levels are split over three regions:

• Meadow
    • Beach
    • Volcano

We also have optional content in the form of Dungeons and Temples. These contain a lot of loot, but Monsters in these areas are tougher than those on the level, so there's a risk vs reward element there.

Overall, we're aiming to provide a high quality game with more "meat on the bones" to keep you all hooked.

As I mention, video and (more) screenshots to follow midweek.

Oh, and for those of you looking for promo codes, I'm working on it! PM me if your after one and i'll see how many I can get this / next week.

Cheers,

14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Thanks for the reply, this does sound interesting still can't wait to have a go and see how it plays.

15. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    This game looks awesome! I especially love the art style. :)

16. RetroCrumpet

RetroCrumpet Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Dundee
    Hey guys!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone. I've just sent out promo codes to all those who PM'd me, thanks for doing that!

We've just released a bunch more content / information about the game:

We've just released a little gameplay montage; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmfhOaQsQCE&list=PLExDWO0bZMOTu-GYi0bnK-0CeeDTGFR7T

We've also put our Game Intro (as it currently looks!) out for everyone to view; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qL-GZsROc0&list=PLExDWO0bZMOTu-GYi0bnK-0CeeDTGFR7T

We also have a lot more content appearing on our Facebook page which we hope you'll all enjoy:

https://www.facebook.com/MonsterLegacy

Thanks for all the kind words so far guys, you've no idea what it means to the team and I!

17. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Looks a cross between Zelda and Pokemon

18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    So thank you very much for the promo I've only played a little so far and dying to get back on but wanted to come with some first impressions/questions.

I am pleasantly impressed with the game from the graphic style and monsters to the gameplay. I like that each monster has it's own skills rather than generic copies. I would like to see a few more clickable and lootable items.

I know you said the energy system has been removed which sounds great to me but will we miss out by looting energy rather than coin now? The capture monster prices seem pretty expensive for low chances compared to the amount of coin I am collecting and also just wondering if all monsters are obtainable without IAP?

I wasn't expecting to have a home base either at all which is a nice touch although monster regen times seem a little long for saying we are able to play as long or little as we like in one go? I only have 4 monsters so far but takes 55 minutes or so to regenerate them.

But on a bright note I am enjoying this game and think it has great potential.

19. RetroCrumpet

RetroCrumpet Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Dundee
    Hey Ste!

Glad you're enjoying it, I'll answer all of your questions below:

Thanks very much! Our in house art team (two people at the moment!) have busted a gut to get us to where we are! In terms of more clickable loot, do you mean more types or just MORE in general?

I think I follow. We've removed Energy as a means of travel / gating. We've re-engineered Energy to be a source of, power (stay with me here). We felt the Ranch (home base) was a bit dull, so we overhauled it and added in a Crafting system. You get energy on your travels and use this to craft items on your Ranch - Traps, Potions, etc. This way if you're playing the game, you get energy and you funnel it into your crafting buildings to save you spending coins.

On the costs, we've also acknowledged that our economy was a bit off (too many coin sinks vs coins in the game). We've re-balanced this, furthermore we've made traps a little easier to understand. Traps now have a higher % of success versus Gen 1 monsters, but as you progress the lower % traps become weaker. This is for two reasons:

• At the start of the game when you have less money, you're not punished for using traps
    • By the later stages of the game you'll be able to craft more and more traps on your base (these are COIN buildings and NOT IAP buildings, so don't worry, there isn't a hidden cost)

Yeah, the Ranch (home base) always surprises people! The Monster Regen times are a bit too negative, we've changed it. The monsters you find in the early levels will all heal in 5 - 10 mins, we've also removed the the idea you can spend 2gems to heal your monster, instead you can just use potions. Remember in the NEXT version you can craft your own potions, you'll have more money and find more of them as loot. So, while there are still timers, the early monsters are greatly reduced AND you can use potions now versus spending gems.

Obviously, the very very strong monsters near the end of the current content will take longer to heal, but by this point we hope you'll have a lot of Monsters you can swap in and out.

Biggest smile of my day came from your post, the attention you put into the game and your response. Thanks for being awesome and helping us make a great game.

20. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    For clickable loot I just mean more of it in general some areas have a fair amount and some seem barren, more types would be nice of course but I'd be happy with just more : )

Using energy to craft items sounds great I like crafting systems and at the minute I've gotten pretty angry with the game and I don't like playing games that make me frustrated. Mainly it was even in purple chests my rewards were tiny compared to all the costs so I'm glad you've tried to address this but mainly it was for capturing even if I had a monster at say 1-5 health all trap had terrible chances and I believe I spent about 4000 coins capturing one monster using the 500 coin trap.

I'll have to see how the changes affect things for crafting and coins along with monster healing, if you have an updated version out already I'm on testflight. Do all dungeons/temples cost gems?

Struggling to decide which monsters to use too is 3 remaining the set amount? Also just wondered if the energy cost for changing monsters in my team will remain or is gone also?