Universal Blood Roofs - (by Gamesmold)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    And thank you Gamesmold for draining my battery down to nearly zilch! ;) I don't know if I'll be able to make it through the conference call I have set up this afternoon!

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hi Gamesmold. I have encountered some glitches in my previous runs. They each occurred once though.

1. After respawn, I respawned right after the first bossfight (the one with the pickup truck) and still in his "area" when the view was too far to the left of my character. I jumped and i went through the ground.

2. After respawn in a different game, there wasnt any roofs or anything to land on.

3. If i close the app from the taskbar, the permanent upgrades go back to 0. (I saw you were aware of this already in a previous post)

4. Jane doesnt have ammo dropping for her (EDIT: got your message, but im sure i have completed the tutorial already. It might also be affected by the restart issue that locks permanent upgrades as well)

5. On different occasions, whenever I start the app (when it isnt on the task menu) I have to go through the tutorial again.

3. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=151299][​IMG][/thread] [thread=152302][​IMG][/thread] [thread=151225][​IMG][/thread] [thread=150856][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=151250][​IMG][/thread] [thread=151279][​IMG][/thread] [thread=150512][​IMG][/thread] [thread=151226][​IMG][/thread] [thread=151222][​IMG][/thread]

Click on above icons
    to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]BLOOD ROOFS[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    05/09/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to encounter colossal creatures that have been summoned by some sinister cultists?

[size=+3][thread=151538]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

Poll close
    13/09/2012 at 05:40 AM

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -

4. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    So is this actually endless or is there a story that progresses?

5. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    One-way story that goes on til you reach the end boss (which i havent yet). Basically you save this damsel, and you run and jump on rooftops, bridges, train tracks, on-trains, etc to escape a city full of monsters. During your escape you encounter various bosses. There will also be instances you will experience train crashes and other great touches and details that add to the simple story.

Then there is an endless mode that you can unlock.

6. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    #126 VaroFN, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    I think that you can't beat... it, because
    you have to fight it later
    . I tried to defeat it, but I couldn't.

Really? I thought I played quite a lot and I didn't find any new bosses. I think I should try it again :D

Just one thing: there's no need to unlock the survival mode. After completing the "story" mode, that game is over and the survival mode starts, but with your current score from the story mode. You can't start it from the menu though, but it's better to buy the other objects instead of survival, except the warp. I hate it.
    EDIT: wait a sec... I just found other way to play the survival mode! :eek:

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Third time's the charm ;) :

Thomas, is there any hope of a touch-only control scheme? A simple two-way stick/slider/2 arrows on the left side, with jump and shoot placed together on the right, would do wonders for those of us who simply CANNOT enjoy (or control :) ) a game with tilt alone.

Blood Roofs is truly and honestly amazing. However (and this is in NO way criticism, as I am aware most players probably do not suffer from this smartphone age handicap ;) ), I simply cannot work with tilt controls. I have tried, time and time again, in excellent games said to feature the most intuitive and natural of tilt implementations, but I cannot seem to enjoy a game unless I'm rubbing grease all over that little screen, and the same goes for Blood Roofs (though of all tilt games, this is the one I can enjoy the most in spite of the tilt controls).

I realize this option might be slightly time-consuming to implement, but I think I (and the others who feel like me, of which there might not be a rabid horde and dominant majority, but at least a few more, here and there, dispersed in small cells of tilt resistance across the globe) would rather have just an acceptable touch-only scheme, than to live life on the tilting plane.

8. Gamesmold

Gamesmold Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    That might explain the other glitches you've found.
    Do you use a jailbroken device?
    Cause that would be the reason why persistent data can't be read (due to a problem with iCloud on jailbroken devices - the app thinks iCloud data is there, but it isn't - and thus the app doesn't know that you already completed the tutorial). As said, that will be fixed in the next update.

On all our non-jailbroken devices over here, it saves and loads fine.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... im jailbroken 5.1.1

10. Gamesmold

Dec 11, 2010
    Well, not... exactly... :) as hinted in the trailer video, there will be changes to the story line depending on who or what you have been carrying before...

Did that for replay value... ;)

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I guess you really don't want to answer any questions regarding a touch-only control scheme ;) I hope you don't mind if I keep trying (this is the fourth attempt), as I really, really like Blood Roofs, and would like to enjoy it fully.

So, here goes again:

Thomas, is there any hope of a touch-only control scheme? A simple two-way stick/slider/2 arrows on the left side, with jump and shoot placed together on the right, would do wonders for those of us who simply CANNOT enjoy (or control :) ) a game with tilt alone.

Blood Roofs is truly and honestly amazing. However (and this is in NO way criticism, as I am aware most players probably do not suffer from this smartphone age handicap ;) ), I simply cannot work with tilt controls. I have tried, time and time again, in excellent games said to feature the most intuitive and natural of tilt implementations, but I cannot seem to enjoy a game unless I'm rubbing grease all over that little screen, and the same goes for Blood Roofs (though of all tilt games, this is the one I can enjoy the most in spite of the tilt controls).

I realize this option might be slightly time-consuming to implement, but I think I (and the others who feel like me, of which there might not be a rabid horde and dominant majority, but at least a few more, here and there, dispersed in small cells of tilt resistance across the globe) would rather have just an acceptable touch-only scheme, than to live life on the tilting plane.

12. Gamesmold

Dec 11, 2010
    Oh, sorry, didn't meant to ignore you! :eek:

Well, I can't promise to include this in the next update.
    But I'll give it a try and see if I can bring all buttons along with some arrows or a slider onto the screen.
    That would be quite a lot of stuff: Grenade, boost, jump, shoot, reload, left, right. Maybe I can figure out a way to do that...

13. Gamesmold

Dec 11, 2010
    Well, that's the reason.
    But don't worry. All your unlocked persistent data is still saved locally on the device.
    Due to the jailbreak-bug it just can't be read.
    I'll fix this with the next update and then all your unlocks will be there again.
    And the tutorial won't appear any more. And Jane will have her ammo pods again...

But as said, this happens only on jailbroken devices due to an iCloud problem with the jailbreak-hack.

14. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Wow, a few pages more since yesterday.
    I didn't read back, just this last one, and i hope, whatever
    controls you will add in the future, let me/us keep the current
    one as it is now ! I'm not a fan of tilt-controls either, but a few
    work the best with it...this is one of them.

Voted for GOTW and this runner is truly something special !

Worth every nickel and dime and after unlocking survival-mode
    and all three wings (without IAP), i might donate the Devs
    with another three to five bucks (can't read it since it's overlaid
    in the description), hoping for new updates to come. Well deserved !

15. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    I saw this game in the upcoming section then forgot what the name was and kept wondering if it was released since it's the most stunning endless runner I've seen by far. Glad to see this on the front page!

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    And while I didn't mean to come across as a moaning, bitching nag, I'm glad it elicited a response ;)

Yes, please! I'm amazed by the fact that I can actually enjoy Blood Roofs with the tilt controls, to some small extent (speaks volumes for the game), but with full touch controls, it'd be one of the most entertaining games on my device.

Thinking about it, perhaps you don't need any UI graphics for the slider/arrows. Just placing the finger on a designated area of the screen and swiping left and right to move in those directions might be the most elegant solution of all. Much like controlling the looking direction works in some iOS shooters, such as the N.O.V.A. and Modern Combat series.

In the end, once a game starts to sport an array of buttons, sticks, sliders and other elements that makes us want to hammer away at our screens, full UI customization is usually the best way to go (though I've heard it said by devs that it is sometimes a challenge, or at least time-consuming, to implement). By full, I mean controls that can be moved and placed anywhere. I wish Apple had made available some sort of common API for fully moveable HUD elements, since it would be a great boon to iOS gaming if this had been an ubiquitous method.

17. KoRoV

KoRoV Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Just PLEASE! Soon as you can, make update to resalve this problem. PLEASE! Hope you read ideas on appstore and considering them :) any way GREAT GAME. First and only runner i like :)

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #138 Exact-Psience, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    Is it just me or is Jane a little weaker than Catherine?

Sure her damage seems to be a bit higher, but her aim is way off. With Catherine, I can consistently destroy Barachiels mask in one encounter, Theromoth in one encounter, Diogenidum in one encounter.

Problem i think with Jane is the flight speed of her projectile. I dunno, it could just be me, but i just cant kill most bosses with her.

I have yet to unlock the mermaid, and i hope she fares better against bosses.

19. ohyesuare

ohyesuare Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Anyone else find the jump button too small? While I am looking at the action I find myself missing the button because it's too small.

20. Gamesmold

Dec 11, 2010
    #140 Gamesmold, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    The mermaid is by far the most powerful character.
    I personally like her the best, because you control her electric bolts like the charged beam in R-Type...
    Just take enough time and then *booom* :)

Also, I just added some info here:
    http://www.bloodroofs.com/tips.htm

Going to add more once in a while...