WWDC 2013 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by crex, Jun 9, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #81 MidianGTX, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    I can address the whole post by responding to this line.

1) Gangstar is still absolutely pitiful whether you have a controller or not. It's a cheap clone, and it makes iOS look cheap.

2) Street Fighter with physical controls? Yeah, it'll be better... it'll also be the absolute worst version of Street Fighter money can buy. The console versions are better, other handheld versions are better... now you're putting iOS games into direct comparison to other versions with physical controls and in terms of quality, they lose, by a long shot.

Neither of these games make iOS fun, they make it a cheap and boring replacement for other platforms. What makes iOS fun are the games that make it unique. They offer things other platforms can't because they utilize clever, innovative controls. Games that use taps and swipes are iOS-only, and that's why I bought one. Crappy clones and ports are not iOS only, and they're not the best versions of those games, so as a gamer, I'm keeping well away from them.

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Take Gangstar out of the mix. It was an examble just for the sake of an example.

Replace it with:

ANY of the GTA games
    Space Miner
    ANY SHMUP game
    Dungeon crawlers (Mage Gauntlet, Dungeon Hunter Whatever)
    ANY sports game
    ANY fighting game
    ANY platformer

Each and every one of those is better with a controller. I mentioned the iCade and I mention it again. Its existence doesn't do anything but give us options. Options are not a bad thing.

Sure it will, but Fifa on iOS is technically the "worst version" of any fifa game. Does that somehow ruin it as a game? No, it's still a very good game regardless of how you slice it. Would it control better with a controller? GODS yes!

Now with regards to SF here - Lots and lots of people have purchased the game and its thread is one of the most popular in the forums here.

Your logic here is saying that this game would somehow be worse if we had the option to use a control method that is undisputably better for the type of game in question.

Dude, I love you - I really really do... but heavens to murgatroyd man there's no way that allowing us a different way of playing games is going to make things worse.

No, they don't. SF and any of the Gameloft games aren't new or different. But I LOVE having them on my device.

Would they be tons better on a Vita? No question. For now.

Going forward, there is a very good chance that with this, Xcom, etc., etc., etc. that maybe in another few years developers making games for the Sony, Nintendo or potential future Microsoft handheld console will be concurrently making a game for iOS.

The great thing is that it will open up our options. This isn't like the advent of freemium games that ruined companies like Ngmoco.

It will usher in a section of "boring" games as you put it, but is that a bad thing? Is turning our devices into a real handheld system not going to open us up to really getting the real deal games that other handhelds are getting?

I understand that there's the worry we might lose games like Year Walk, Incoboto and Sword and Sworcery, but that's so much doomsday foretelling, and there's nothing to say that those will go away and that touch screen gaming won't stay incredibly strong.

What makes iOS fun is fun games. Games that are fun are fun, no matter the input method. While there are a fair few games that really do a great job of utilizing taps and swipes, there's no reason those games would not still exist. I just don't get why offering a controller somehow negates the platform.

I mean, I know you own MANY of the style of games I mentioned above, right?

If we take the touchscreen style games out of the equation (tap and swipe, board, puzzle, etc.) we still have left a lot of the games you own. To think that those games, the platformers, SHMUPs, fighting games and such are actually better using an inferior input method is baffling, dude. Baffling!

3. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I haven't followed WWDC because of some reasons.So there's only one thing I wanna ask.Was there anything at all about Infinity Blade: Dungeons?
    Thanks!

4. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Really interesting article on the future of Apple TV and gaming

https://defomicron.net/2013/06/pippin-two?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews