Stop me if you've heard this one: game idea

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jwong3D, Sep 16, 2011.

1. jwong3D

jwong3D Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Toronto
    Hi, i'm new to iOS game development, and i have an idea for an iphone game, however i haven't played that many iphone games so if someone has already seen this idea implemented or something similar, please let me know!

The idea:

I'll try to keep it short. Its a 2D puzzler, only using slashing gestures, there's a tree, at the top of a cliff, depending on where you slice the tree, and the angle you slice it, the tree will fall off the cliff, and into a series of obstacles, your objective is to get at least some piece of the log, through the obstacles and to hit your goal.

after the tree has fallen into the obstacles, you can keep cutting the tree, into smaller pieces, to get through various obstacles.

Gravity is the only method of movement, managing weight and size of your log is the key to getting through the puzzle.

If you've seen something remotely similar, i'd be grateful if you let me know before i waste time developing a clone of a game! :) thanks!

2. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Hahaha someone at our team has thought of this exact same idea (holy crap) during our brainstorm session several months ago. We ended up moving it aside and proceeding with a different concept (which is now DEO).

That's as far as I've seen an idea like that.

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well its just a different theme on a gameplay mechanic thats already out there..

i recall shady a few of thoose physics cutting games.. i think the most recent i played was a freebie where you had to cut ice (instead of wood) because there was a viking frozen in it and you needed it to guide to the bottom (into his ship) where a fellow viking then freed him ..

so if you think its unique,. its not.. but thats not to say not to pursue your idea.

4. jwong3D

jwong3D Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Toronto
    Hey thanks everyone for the heads up! yeah i checked out the viking game you were talking about, vikings slice, it is pretty similar, i guess i'll have to either tweak my idea some more, or come up with something more unique.

5. IndieApp

IndieApp Member

Jul 11, 2011
    London
    Thats not to say don't pursue your idea though! It sounds really really cool, just because something similar exists it doesn't mean that this won't be more successful. Angry Birds is realistically only a variation of many other games that already exist but since it has a relatively good execution it's become extremely successful. If it interests you then pursue it!

6. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Ideas are pretty worthless. It's the implementation of ideas that make it non worthless.

Also, ideas that have been done to death can reap rewards as well. The secret is to add twists and make it the best of that type of idea. A good example is Jetpack Joyride - who would of thought a cave avoidance game would be so much fun :)

What I'm getting at here is don't let the knockers shoot you down and at least prototype your ideas to see if they are worth pursuing.

7. Here's an idea:

Keep the tree and the chopping part off it, but have it has a 1 or two player game where you take it in turns cutting parts of the tree off without making the tree fall over. The larger the pieces you cut off the more points you get. You could have different style trees, different shapes etc to make the strategy different in each tree.

You could then have bird nest, wasp nest etc that can be added or taken away to stop it falling over or change the dynamics / weight distributions. You could also have different birds land in parts of the tree as the game goes along so you have to adjust your strategy and which parts of the tree you cut down.

Maybe you could have a puzzle/bonus round where you have a certain number of birds, nests, wasp nests that you have say 30 seconds to place on the tree without it falling over. Have to get the right combination. Weight distribution should also take into account the width of each branch and how long it is as well to give it the appropriate physics dimension.