Best game from Jeff Minter? (Llamasoft)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Red1, Jul 11, 2012.

?

Best game by Jeff Minter?

1. Gridrunner

51.0%
  2. FiveaDay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. GoatUp

12.2%
  4. Minotron: 2012

10.2%
  5. Caverns of Minos

2.0%
  6. Deflex

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Minotaur Rescue

10.2%
  8. Super Ox War

14.3%
  1. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
  2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Was never a big shmup fan, so I went with Goatup :)

3. makaGeorge

makaGeorge Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    I really love Caverns of Minos, it's just my kind of game, especially with the hard ship although the controls are inverted for some reason, unless you play with the iCade in which case they're perfect...

Then Gridrunner and Minotaur rescue, but I gotta say I love them all...

BTW, anyone saw this?

http://s349909351.websitehome.co.uk/blog/?p=338

looks like it could be a new favorite!

4. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    If Space Giraffe was ever brought to iOS I swear I would wet my pants! :D:D:D

5. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    #25 laszlo_kovacs, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    I've only just discovered the greatness. Got Gridrunner, GoatUp, Minotaur Rescue, & Super Ox Wars yesterday. I just literally stayed up all night playing video games for the first time since I was a kid (or maybe college procrastinator).

Oh yeah--how do you trigger the Vic/C64 versions of Gridrunner? I've had the Vic once, but unless it just triggers automatically, it was random taps I don't remember. Gotta get back to that mesmerizing bullet explosion powerup...

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hold your iDevice landscape with the home button on the right or left. ;)

7. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Lol..the first time I accidentally flipped my iPod sideways for Gridrunner, I was like what the heck. The only thing I wish is for Minter to put Gridrunner Free's relative control into Gridrunner... There's just so many more people on the leaderboards for what it's worth.

8. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Haha just figured it out by accident. And yeah, I was upset at first when I tried the free version and then bought the game proper instead of unlocking through IAP. But the bigger leaderboard made it worth getting the expert control down. Locked in now :cool:

9. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Same me. Jeff did a strange choise.

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Gridrunner is FANTASTIC... But Ox Wars really gets me with the scoring and different 'polarities'

=oP

11. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Do you play Gridrunner or Gridrunner Free + IAP with relative control?

As you are a classical shutmup lover/expert (and a good reviewer) I hope you'll answer to that question.

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    The full version with the 'Expert' controls. =o)

13. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Did you test both of them? If yes, why do you prefer Expert controls?

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes, I tested both of them... but I played the full version quite a bit before checking out the lite version - considering it came out like... 6 months or so after the full version release. It gave me a LOT of time to get comfortable with the 'Expert' controls. It just fit the game after a while.

Generally, I prefer exact relative touch, but once I finally got to try it out with Gridrunner, it just didn't feel right. I'm sure it would if I had played the lite version before purchasing the full... and I might even be upset that the relative touch hadn't been carried over to the full version yet... but since I had so much time playing the game before relative touch was an option for the game, that's not really the case.

15. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Thanks for explanation. Personally I have problems "switching" between different controls mechanism if I play a lot of shutmups: in that case my mind->fingers automation often fails. Of course is a limit of mine :)

However Jeff is a genius in controls, for example Minotaur Rescue one-finger-swipe system is amazing.

16. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I'm having issues with getting a handle on controls in the full version of Gridrunner. The free version seemed pretty solid after putting time in with Super Ox Wars... but neither control type seem particularly good to me. I wish the controls from Super Ox Wars were implemented... but maybe I'll figure out something since I bought Gridrunner more as a "thanks" for making Super Ox Wars free and having such a blast with that game.

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #37 crunc, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    Gridrunner takes a little getting use to the controls, but it's awesome. I don't prefer the Expert controls. I do better with the standard controls. After a little practice it feels natural.

Of the ones I have, I'd rate Gridrunner best, then either Minotaur Rescue or Goat Up. Five a Day is the only one I have that I really don't like. FaD goes soooo slowly. I get bored with it long before the game is over. I haven't tried Super Ox Wars yet.

18. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Super Ox Wars is probably my personal favourite. Nice length to levels with good level progression too. It's nice to see over 2,000 on the leader board now - always used to disappoint that only 700 or so actually paid for it. It's got a mix of loads of vertical shooters - it's even got the planes from 1941 in it and Clive Sinclair pops up too. It's also the only Minter game my kids like.

19. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Gridrunner Free has same control (select "Novice" instead of "Expert") as Super Ox Wars. So the best solution for you is Gridrunner Free + IAP: you get same as Gridrunner full + better controls + Survival mode. Plus you support Jeff Minter.

How can you say only 700 paid for it?

20. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I don't know much about this legendary title apart from the recent Llamasoft blog post, but it's definitely intriguing and I'd love to see it on iOS.