Nex-is a bust?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ajg3, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    Was it a bust? and are there any confirmed updates coming

2. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    So far its a bust to me especially with the arrival of MC:S its pales in comparison.

Not bad but could do a lot better and concerning updates, not sure but probably since it really needs some kinks

-skyye

3. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    Anyone?

4. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    So I don't count:rolleyes:

5. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    gee i forgot about this game.... i played it for about 5 minutes then it got boring... i think i deleted it

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I am glad that I did not purchase it. I had money burning in my account that night, but I bought some other stuff instead, and could not afford it - at least that night - then next day, the hype died down - and I did not purchase - so to me it was a bust...

7. julzsantana15

julzsantana15 Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Michigan
    This is just another game in my iPod touch, it's nothing special, Its not really bad, but I play it when I have the time. It's just THERE. I don't even feel bad for Starbyte, since this game was submitted and it took forever to come out until it finally did and the next day MC:S came out and stole nex's thunder. I think MC:S justs makes NEX look like A TOTAL BUST.....

8. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    Lol skyye sry

9. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    This is Gamelofts effect in the appstore, they raise the bar so high graphically to point smaller devs can no longer match. I won't blame some of them if they pose as poster to say that gameloft games are unimpressive to at least get back to ruining their game sales :D

10. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
  11. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    This.

12. Lost Cipher

Lost Cipher Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I find it quite enjoyable, but that mostly stems from the fact that I am a Space Hulk fanatic. Best game Gamesworkshop ever produced was Space Hulk, and to see a game that emulates its gameplay is pretty awesome for me.

However I can understand where others are coming from, but you have to remember that its a bit unfair to compare this with Modern Combat. First they are two completely different genres; one is Repetitive Action with a Slice of Graphic Hotness, and the other is a First Person Squad Based Strategy Game. The old apples and oranges debate (Citrus totally rules... but apple pie!).

Second one is from a developer with 100's if not 1000's of devs ready to abide by their slave-masters'/production managers' wishes. Whilst the other is from an indie developer.

I'm not saying the game is perfect by any means, but it is both challenging and rewarding. It just could use a few fixes, like a melee option or tone down the weapon overheat. And some more refined squad controls, like a form up button and command squad to heal itself button... Other than that great game.

13. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I concur. I like nex.

14. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    The problem is, NEX isn't even good at what it does, it isn't a great tactical shooter by any means, it's fairly average.

But I'm not hating on NEX, it's not inherently bad, and can be quite fun, it's definately worth a look if you're into this kind of thing, but don't expect to be blown away.

I just prefer MC:S

15. StarByte

StarByte Member

Aug 13, 2009
    NEX isn't a bust!

With the recent 1.1 update we've made the game faster, easier (less gun jamming), added a tutorial and in-game HQ messages, added new graphics, animated mission briefings, indicators showing where aliens enter the playing area and revised missions.

With these changes, most players will be able to play past the simple early missions and discover the true action/strategy balance needed to complete the whole game.

And as a final persuasion, we've cut the price to just 99c.

16. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Agreed. Definitely not a bust. I appreciate the update, it has really upped the fun factor for me. Good job!

17. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Sounds like a great update. I haven't played it in a few weeks but will have to give it another shot. Was never my favorite game but definitely wouldn't call it a bust, update or not.

18. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    #18 araczynski, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    what's MC:S?

nex lite seemed fun, but i didn't get the part about blocking spawn points or locking doors to keep things out? felt like it wanted to be a shooter but got forced to be something else, just to be different.

or maybe i didn't give the demo a long enough try.

19. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
  20. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    #20 araczynski, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    ah, modern combat, looked at the info in the store. i hate modern shooters so much i'd rather give nex a dollar and not even download it if i had to choose between the two :) i'm not saying i hate nex or anything, just would rather pay for that sight unseen than play MC:S for free even.