Drifter by Celsius Game Studios

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CGSColin, Sep 27, 2011.

1. CGSColin

CGSColin Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    New in-game dev footage! Showing off the galaxy map and the hyperspace jump SFX.

2. jim2112jim

jim2112jim New Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Nice atmospheric ambiance!
    It reminds me of a game I played on PC but I can't reminder the title.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    How goes this?

4. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    It goes! Lots being worked on under the hood so there's really not much to show right now. There are some interesting additions that I'm hoping I'll be able to announce soon as well.

The release is likely going to be in 2012 at this point, but I'd rather make the game better than release something that I'm not happy with :)

5. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    +100
    I will buy this game just because your video is absolute "ZEN" !!!
    And i hope, no, i wish, that the music is also in the game !
    Thank you dear Dev.
    I liked Red Nova already, so this will be an instant buy for me,
    though gameplay wise it's not (yet?) my style of gaming. I'm not into TD/RPG/Trader etc. games. We'll see.
    Keep up your incredible work.

6. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I think the Hyperspace jump would look cooler if you had the blue flash
    appear just before the ship materializes again.

Other than that...well done!

7. Winning5

Winning5 New Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Great!

I love the idea, it's really coool! Looks forward to this one.

8. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Haven't had much to show in a few weeks, as a lot of what I've been working on has been under the hood but I decided to pop in and say that regretfully Drifter won't be coming out in 2011 (this is why I hate even attempting to give a hint at a release date). While I can't go into any details right now, what this ultimately means that Drifter is going to be even better when it does finally come out.

One development related to making Drifter the best it can be that I can tell you about is that the most excellent Danny Baranowsky (the composer behind such games as Super Meat Boy, Canabalt, The Binding of Isaac, Cave Story 3D and others) will be composing the soundtrack for Drifter. I am super excited about this, and I hope you are as well :)

Anyway, to tide you over until the next update I've added NPC ships to the mix... and I've gone and blown one of them up:

[​IMG]

9. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
  10. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Really looking forward to grabbing this one as soon as it is released :D Any chance of subscribing to some kind of distribution list to know when it is released? I read about the game some months ago, I had forgotten the name and it took me ages to find the thread again... I don't need a release date, just someone who reminds me about the game when it is released.

I bought flatspace for ios a long time ago, but the lack of support killed it (it was even removed from the app store several months ago), and I think that Drifter will be all that Flatspace wanted to be, at least for me :).

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You should follow @celciusgs if you want release info... if nothing his incessant raving about in game synthesized meat is amusing or the discovery of a touch variant to Contra cheat.

12. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
  13. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
  14. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
  15. trundley

trundley Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Looks good. This got popped on the front-page. Any more info?

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep just followed (undeadcows link is wrong by the way)

CANT wait for this game, over the years i've fell in love with Elite, X2, Privateer, just love non-linear space exploration type games. From what i've read this game sounds like it'll be perfect for myself, cant wait when its released. Looking forward to following the progress on twitter

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yeah, hopefully we'll get more updates in the near future. I'm dying to play this game too :)

18. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Cool, I've seen the kickstarter for the Mac/PC version got more than the requested funds (requested $50,000 --> got over $75,000). Hopefully the game will see the light in Q3 :D

19. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    I'm still monitoring the thread, just so you know!

The KS has been a fantastic boon for Drifter's development. Not only does it mean it will be coming out on PC/Mac but the iOS version will see a dramatic improvement in it's graphical assets as well. It may mean a slightly later release, but rest assured you'll be getting a much better game out of it in the end.

Thank you for your continued patience :)

20. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Saw the new video the other day. I really hope it gets out on time for Christmas, but I'll be waiting if it goes into 2013 :) Btw, will it have "insta-save progress"? i.e.: Can you save anywhere? For me this is crucial because my play time is most of the time split into 5-minute sessions maximum.