Do you play only game centre games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GigiFusc, Nov 28, 2012.

1. GigiFusc

GigiFusc Active Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Hi all.

I'm an indie developer and we're trying to find out how important Game centre achievements are for people? Hope you can help.

Do any if you only play a game if it has them or are you not that bothered or do you prefer them but still IOS game even if they haven't got them?

Thanks for your help.

:)

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know a fair few people who like them and even some who refuse to buy a game unless it has them.

I personally am not bothered, theyre a 'nice to have' but i just like playing a game the old fashioned way instead of trying to get 50/50 gems etc on every level. With so many games out there and more each week i'm not bothered about spending tons of time getting every gem on every level to get 3/3 stars etc !

3. Respox

Respox Active Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't care about GC achievements at all, and don't understand why they are so important to some people. For me, the only reason to have Game Center is for convenient multiplayer matchmaking.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I wouldn't care less if Game Center was nonexistent, to be honest.

5. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Maybe if Game Center was better, but it sucks so I'm not bothered.

I know Gameloft and EA games usually dont have support.

6. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I think it's pathetic if anyone actually thinks like that.

To this day I'm still not really sure what its point is. It just wastes app space on my device.

I just want to play a game, regardless of if I may get some banner come up and say 'well done, you've done something hundreds of other people have already done'.

7. mkpred

mkpred Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Working at Sites
    Cyber Town
    #7 mkpred, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    Not too bothered , never searched for a game with the keyword game centre along with it if it exists OK but i wouldnt mind if it doesnt.it just takes up space and achievements and leaderboards dont mean much to me on ios because in all the games in the leaderboards i have seen a couple guys with a way too high score which at times is unattainable , by which i mean people hack the games in order to just get their names on the top.although on consoles i do care about avhievements just not apple but maybe would have if it was tweaked better.Only good thing that came out of it was that earlier when game centre was launched those indie developers that integrated GC got spotlight as they were on the top of the ranking for game centre games whether you searched for them on reviewing sites or on the app store it self ( there is a seperate section for GC games ).but now that advantage is gone and tons of games have GC so my advice if your game will have multiplayer then u might want to get GC but not only for achievements because i believe that takes up space and with the high end games these days ( by which i mean apps over 1 gigabyte ) there isnt much space left on the device.i myself only have those high end games on my ipad only will delete them after i finish them and then add back those simpler games.i have seen many people refusing to buy a app just because of its large size.i know GC wont take much , but with the limited space that seems to look way too limited now , every mb counts :)

BTW good luck with the app production ;)

8. EnterNexus

EnterNexus Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Nice addition, but in no way necessary

GameCenter inclusion would be neat, I personally am one of those people who actually uses it on a daily basis , because I love checking scores and see how other people are doing and things like that, but if a game is good, and I know it, then it wouldn't matter too much to me.

9. GigiFusc

GigiFusc Active Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Thanks for the replies so far - very interesting and probably as expected. I've always gotten the impression that the moderate majority don't really bother too much about achievements on iPhone games.

The work to include it isn't that much, but I was just curious to how others might feel. Personally - I've never used GC and don't care at all about achievements on my iPhone/Pad. Which is in stark contrast to consoles which has a high % of players loving them - myself included.

Thanks again everyone!! :)

10. Gua

Gua Active Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Gamedesigner
    Ukraine, Kyiv
    I don't care about GS achievements and leaderboards at all.

P.S. I'm also and Indie, so this question also bothers me.

11. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Don't care for GC leaderboards and achievements either. I rather compete with my friends, because GC leaderboards are mostly hacked anyway. I care about achievements only if they unlock a special level or a special item in the game.

12. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

I don't have any real friends so Game Center is a welcome feature. It definitely could be improved though.

13. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Laughing aloud.

14. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I like GC but gameloft and ea games don't have it and I will still play them

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Personally... I adore GC. Leaderboards can add an insane amount of replay value for a high-score oriented title, and achievements can add that extra amount of gameplay that might have otherwise been missed if you didn't even know that you could find a hidden object, or get a special item or medal for doing something. But I will also say that a game not having GameCenter will in no way turn me off of it. Giana Sisters, Meganoid 2, Mecho Wars, Astronaut Spacewalk, Geon... a bunch of RPGs and other titles do not have GameCenter support, but they're some of my favorite iOS games. I'd say it mainly depends on what type of game you've got. If it's a score driven game, I'd say that yes, GameCenter leaderboards would be a huge plus. There are a few highscore driven games that didn't come with GC, and because of that, they didn't stay on my iPod for too long. But other games, like Adventure/Action/RPGs/Strategy games... these don't really need leaderboards, but Achievements can add that extra drive to keep coming back, and maybe even add replay value to the game. Puzzle games are also another genre that benefits from leaderboards and achievements, and so do Platformers - though I'd be more likely to purchase a Platformer that has GameCenter over one that doesn't, just because GameCenter isn't included in a platform title doesn't mean I won't buy it. Same goes with Puzzlers.

For me, leaderboards are more important than achievements, but I do know that there are some gamers out there that love achievements, and the possible extra challenge and drive they may add to the gameplay.

16. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    I occasionally pick up a title with no gamecenter but its always the first to go when space is needed.

Personally, I don't understand why all developers don't jump on gamecenter. Its guaranteed way of making sure everyone plays their game longer. Those who don't use it, won't so no offending them if its around. Those who do use it, will use it for the boards, achievements, etc.

Udunno, its just always made me scratch my head whenever a triple a title hits with cutting edge graphics, amazing gameplay that took a whole lot of development time to complete... and then left out gamecenter.

17. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    If anything GC makes games worse. It has to log back in every time you start the game up, even when you just lock your device or multitask. That makes the game slow down a ton, on lower end devices at least. I've never had much use for it, and the matchmaking stinks.

18. GigiFusc

GigiFusc Active Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Again - thank you all for the replies. I'm pretty sure will include GC + high scores and achievements. But this reaffirms my belief that it doesn't have the same level of desire that it does on XB360 or PS3.

Thank you!!

19. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    I'm into physics puzzle type of games (Monster Island, Hungry Turtle, Little Lost Chick, Snail Bob, Rat Fishing) and GC adds a lot of replay value for me. I especially like hunting for better scoring alternative solutions to levels and GC leaderboards encourage me. GC achievements are far less important to me, but occasionally I'll try to get all of them as well (less so the ones like "play every day for two weeks", but if I really like a game, I'll get these anyway :))
    I know about the hackers of course, and don't understand why these aren't dealt with, but I learned to ignore their "scores".