Would you play a dota style moba on iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by flavortext, Nov 9, 2012.

1. flavortext

flavortext Member

Nov 9, 2012
    If the controls and graphics were awesome?

I'm asking 'cause I'm a console dev gone indie trying to figure out if a game like this is worth building! I have a couple questions I'm curious about if you are interested in playing and willing to share:
    • Would you play with friends or with whoever is online?
    • Do all the friends you would consider playing with own iPhones?
    • How important would voice chat be?
    • What is your most requested feature for the game?

2. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Yes.

Just remember that Gameloft is on their way with Heroes of Order & Chaos. But competition is always good. ;.)

3. royalflushxx

royalflushxx New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    I have actually personally been putting together a mockup of the game, but I'm no programmer, I'm just an artist. I think with how these games are played, they have a GREAT translation to touch screen that nobody's truly taken advantage of. The closest I've seen is Legendary Heroes, but with the new Heroes of Order & Chaos coming out, I hope it shows people that it's possible and there are competitors that come out.

If you are truly interested, I'd be willing to show you some art of the heroes I've created thus far, and give you a rundown on the world involved. Outside of being an artist, I've been a creative designer for a web company in the past where we created visual chat programs. All we'd need to do is pick up some more people and bang out a great game.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Of course.

For the ones who have idevices, i am 100% sure they will.

It is highly important for high-level play, and very helpful in casual play but not quite compared to high-level play.

GAME BALANCE. With that much characters/heroes/champions to choose from, there will have to be CONSTANT balance tweaks. Without a good balance, it will just be one stupid game. Yes, stupid, because every team will just use overpowered characters and those who dont will just lose.

5. DoctaMario

DoctaMario Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I always wished games like Warcraft 3 or Strcraft had touchscreens actually. Those types of games seem MADE for a touch interface.

That said, I'd love to see something like DoTA on iPhone. I think if you guys did it right and were good about updating and patching it, it could be one of the most popular games on iOS.

Voice chat would be fairly important, especially for team play, but +1 for balance.

6. MokuroRokudo

MokuroRokudo Active Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Yes a addict Dota 2 player here :)

7. flavortext

flavortext Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Awesome awesome.

What do you guys think about the idea of the heros being creatures that you can capture, evolve, and trade with people. (As opposed to the LoL style where you "earn" them via points)?

8. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

I agree with Exact-Psience. Game balance is going to be key.

Controls are also going to be a bit of an issue due to the medium, although of course iPad owners will have an advantage.

Good graphics are always nice, but not a priority as long as it looks professional and creative.