Would like some feedback on our art

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by FlyingRoosters, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Hello guys, Flying Roosters here!

We are 3 guys from Paris, starting to code our first game! It's actually our first experience of working on a game.

Right now we are working on the Scripting and level engine in Coco2D-X ( to be able to release on iOS & Android ) and its a pain in the ass to work with due to the lack of documention, oh well at least its open source; )

Since we don't have any game footage per say to show you, I'll would like to show you some of our art and a concept video of the game.

The game is an endless running kinda of game with QTE, boss fight , multiple levels and a story. You could compare it to something like Windup knight but in 2D and more dynamic due to the QTE.

Here's some links to the arts and video:

New Hero animations
    Concept video of the game ( with old / no animations )
    Early Mockups of the game

If you want to see more, there's also our brand new blog that we'll try to update 3 times per week.

So what do you think of the art? We are also thinking of leaving the game in Grey scale because we think it look kinda nice too :)

In any case, we look forward to be part of the big indie game dev family and contribute as much as we can on this forum!

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Reminds me of castle crasher, so thats good.

The idea about keeping it grey scale is bad imho.

Once you start to make it artsy fartsy you shoot yourself in the food since you push yourself into a niche you dont want to be in because the casual crowd is not there.

Thoose who appreciate different art styles are a tiny monority and probably not thoose who appreciate the next endless runner.

3. Markus Hanka

Markus Hanka Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Freelance 2D Artist
    Beijing
    The style is looking great so far. Why would you want to skip the coloring? To save time? The artist dislikes coloring? You really should go for bright and vibrant colors. It is much more appealing to the majority and fits your game so much better. You will scare a lot of people away if you go all artsy and depressing. This doesn't mean that I don't like greyscale. But iOS is in 99% not the right place in my opinion.

4. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
  5. Johan_Ribert

Johan_Ribert Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Developer
    Rome, Italy
    Really good, i love gray scale game!

6. davidlxk

davidlxk Member

Jan 14, 2012
    i love the style of it ~
    any idea on where the inspiration for the art came from? =P

7. nfe789

nfe789 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Looks like it has hope!

When you say runners game, does that mean strictly something along the lines of temple run or windup knight, Im not a huge fan of that. but the Idea of a platform with that looks pretty awesome.

Hopefully no IAPs. Looks ligit.

I read previously it reminds them of castle crashers. I think a clone of Castle crashers would be quite epic. but this game looks promising even though it is early.

8. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    ah lovely! I'm totally loving the art style!

9. Thanks for great feedback!

We will most definitely color the art. One thing we'll try is maybe make one bonus level with only the outline, we'll see if we can fit something like that in the story ;)

Regarding the gameplay, It will definitely be a running game, as in the game make the character move forward but there wont be any "endless level" like monster dash, there will be multiple levels in multiple environment with a story just like castle crasher :). You'll also have full control on the attacks, jumping, sliding, etc and you will have to have succeed all the QTE to advance.

Regarding the inspiration of the art, its the style of our artist. You can check his blog for more art not related to the game.

Cheers!