Steelseries Stratus does not seem to work with iOS10

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Nonstickron, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    Has anyone had any luck with a workaround for that or able to confirm for me?

2. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Damn, I was going to bring my stratus with me today but didn't. I will check this as soon as I get home, in about 5 hours. Damn it, that would suck.

Edit: have you checked for controller firmware update?

3. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Dont have mine with me today either. I don't see a firmware update. I'll have to check when I get home as well.

4. Nonstickron

Sep 24, 2009
    Central Florida
    I submitted a ticket on their site this morning, they didn't even have ios10 in the required drop down for Operatingg System yet. Downloaded the Steelseries Engine 3 but it doesn't see the stratus when I plug it in.

I also pinged them on twitter. No response yet.

If it is an actual issue and not just me, I wonder if it extends to other controllers as well.

5. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
  6. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I just tried my stratus and everything seems to be normal for me. I tried three different games.

7. Nonstickron

Sep 24, 2009
    Central Florida
    Damn. Tried resetting network. No dice. Only thing I can think to do is a factory reset, which may or may not work and will suck

8. boshek

boshek Member

Jul 19, 2014
    I have a SteelSeries Stratus which I use with an iPad pro 12.9”. It is also not working for me. it connects to the iPad, but no games recognize it. I contacted SteelSeries yesterday. Not only is iOS 10 not listed, but I cannot read all the characters of my serial number on the back of the device, so my tickets won’t be accepted! How many characters long are they supposed to be? Are they all numbers or letters too? Just curious.

I figure that like other companies, now that iOS 10 is released, SteelSeries will have to revise the firmware for the Stratus, but there is no point trying to update it until they do. I am glad to hear that I am not alone in this problem, though I miss my Stratus.

9. Nonstickron

Sep 24, 2009
    Central Florida
    Mine is 6 characters, letters and numbers.

Yeah, I was looking forward to finally playing Minecraft Pocket now that they finally released a texture pack I can tolerate.

10. Nonstickron

Sep 24, 2009
    Central Florida
    It's definitely something weird going on. I tried installing the Nimbus app, and while the Stratus doesn't connect to the app or anything it does seem to somehow make the phone actually talk to the controller. I am able to play games with it as long as I don't turn off the controller. Once I do it won't connect again despite it still being technically "connected" in the Bluetooth options.

It isn't foolproof either, I haven't gotten it to work every time, I haven't played with it enough to say what order to open the app and turn on the controller. But at least it proves the controller isn't just outright broken.

11. Nonstickron

Sep 24, 2009
    Central Florida
    Ugh...Nevermind. It was some kinda fluke. Can't get it to work again. This is so frustrating.

Are people who are successfully making it work using bluetooth headphones by any chance? The other guy who is not having any luck, do you use bluetooth headphones? Maybe if I leave my headphones disconnected...

12. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    I have a Steelseries Stratus XL, will try in a moment...

13. Nonstickron

Sep 24, 2009
    Central Florida
    So with many attempts I got it working again, with my Bluetooth headset not connected. I was happily playing Minecraft, decided to get some sound so flipped on my headphones and POOF, Stratus stopped working.

Called Apple, they want me to factory reset my phone, I told them no it wasn't worth it with 60gb of stuff on my phone I'd have to restore, when it probably wouldnt fix it. Left off with just submitting a bug report regarding using Bluetooth headphones and the Stratus at the same time.

14. boshek

boshek Member

Jul 19, 2014
    My JLabs Epic BT earbuds work. I was able to connect the Stratus and see that it is connected in Settings. Can’t you?

15. boshek

boshek Member

Jul 19, 2014
    For those of us with probles

I wish we could tell what version of the firmware is currently installed on our controllers. I spoke to someone from Steelseries again yesterday, and they are claiming that it works with iOS 10. So I guess we have to try updating our firmware, and see if that helps. If they tell me version number for it at the site, I’m going to save it.

16. McAlsop

McAlsop Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Is there any more information on this? Going to the steelseries website, it just says if you want to use your stratus, don't update to iOS 10.

Does anyone have it working?

17. McAlsop

McAlsop Member

Jan 24, 2009
    I can verify that my SteelSeries Stratus was not working in 10.0.x and is now working perfectly in 10.1. I am using an iPad Mini 4.

I didn't do a full reset of my iPad. However, after installing 10.1, I "forgot" all the bluetooth devices (I had 4 saved), turned bluetooth off, hard reset the device (holding lock/home), turned bluetooth back on, paired the controller, and it worked. (oddly, just noting, after turning bluetooth back on, one device returned without a description, only a MAC address NN:NN:NN:NN:NN, which i had to also forget)
    I also use bluetooth headphones for game audio and they worked together after re-pairing those.

18. boshek

boshek Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Steelseries Stratus-No improvement with iOS 10.1

I communicated with Steelseries and I was hoping that iOS 10.1 would have a fix, but I don’t think so. The advice posted here above sounded really good, and I followed all the steps, which were better than any advice I got from Steelseries! I found that some games worked with iOS 10.02 - usually old games - the ones that say now that they are possibly slowing your device down and they should be updated by the developer. But newer games, like Alto’s Adventure didn’t work before, and they still don’t work now with iOS 10.1. Looks like It’s time for new controllers. Is there anything better than the Steelseries Nimbus?

19. McAlsop

McAlsop Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Are you having problems with a game that worked pre-iOS 10.1 and doesn't work with 10.1 installed? All games are working for me as they have before. But I know that there are some games that simply don't work with the Stratus - never have - even though they are supposedly MFi compatible. Notably Ravensword: Shadowlands...

Happy to see if a game works for me if you let me know what to try...

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Have any of you guys figured out how to make the SteelSeries Stratus work in iOS 10? I've tried everything short of a factory reset to get it to connect to either my iPad Pro or my iPhone 7. *sigh*