Why are the full screen ads such a high resolution?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by MidianGTX, Dec 2, 2010.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It seems odd to me they'd be so big, since I'm guessing a decent number of people that visit the front page use a regular 13-inch Macbook (being 1280x800, which isn't particularly small anyway) and half of the image gets cut off at both sides.

I've noticed it with a few of them now. I wanted to see CNET's comment on iSlash and had to right-click and "View Background Image" to view the whole thing.

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Same reason why the volume of commercials on TV are substantially louder than the show you're viewing, to blast you with marketing.

3. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    also to accomodate 30 inch screen users....not everyone uses a macbook pro so.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We don't design the site skins, we merely give advertisers the template for them to design their ad campaigns around.

5. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    1920x1080 for me so they are fine. I don't like the ads, let me rephrase that, I HATE THEM, but it's not up to me so I guess I'll deal with them.

6. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hey man, great guys/gals like Hoddap and Arn wouldn't be here if it weren't for those ads, I guess.

7. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    +1
    TA cannot rely on a donation-button ;)

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Ads are fine, what's annoying is when I'm trying to browse the site on my iPhone and right when I'm about to click the 'New Posts' button the whole page jumps about 2 lines down forcing me to click one of the stupid banner ads. Happens roughly about 50% of the time.