Mass "What Should I Get?" Thread (2012 - 2017)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zincous, Dec 25, 2011.

?

What device to get?

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. iPod Touch

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. iPad

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. iPad Mini

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Underwater

Underwater Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    First I tought WE were unable to download any games, but I heard that just the developers can't post new games or updates. So we can still buy games during the shutdown.

2. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    ^ Thanks Underwater. I haven't been frequently TA lately, so I wasn't sure if I needed to quickly research all of the releases from the last couple months to do some last minute purchases. Seems like it doesn't affect us consumers, though, which is good. I feel a bit silly, seeing as how I've already been through this season in 2010/2011 and I still can't remember what exactly happens during the iTunes shutdown.

3. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Rage of the Gladiator and Adventure of TinTin, yes or no?

4. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Games where dying and starting again are all part of the fun

I really love FTL for Mac and PC. I know there might be an iOS version one day but in the meantime I'm looking for games that have a similar 'you are definitely going to die' element to them, but preferably combined with some sort of persistent stat-building element.

I really like Fargoal but don't want to just play dungeon crawler things. I also enjoy Infinity Blade but am tired of that now. I've loved and finished 1,000,000,000, that was fun but a bit more of a puzzler than the sort of exploring experience I'm looking for now.

Finally, no Endless Runners please, that's not the sort of 'die and start again' experience I enjoy, a bit too mindless. Yes, even Punch Quest! ;)

All other suggestions welcomed!

5. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Good question! I'd also love to see FTL ported. Love it on Mac but would be so much nicer to play relaxed on the couch with the iPad.

Clutching at straws and staying away from dungeon crawler / rpg rogues, I reckon Uplink fits the description somewhat but it's nowhere near as visual. Does have persistence and the ever looming threat of danger and death of sorts. Quite hard to get into though.

Ummm, only other things on my device right now that get close in any way are board games like Forgotten Isle, Elder Scrolls and Small World maybe. Not really persistent but you can constantly learn and try new things out.

I'd be interested in keep an eye on this thread if I missed anything, I'd be happy to get my wallet out!

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I think I liked how TA did their GOTY articles better last year. Maybe, they're not done yet though. The year's not quite over.

Ah, yes, Hodapp already mentioned it was only the first set of them; great!

7. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    iMovie for iOS, yes or no?

Been looking for a good video editor. Does anyone know if you can delete/mute the audio track from video clips with iMovie?

8. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

iMovie is a yes from me. If you love making movies, then this is a great app. Also, I can't decide between Modern Combat 4 and Ravensword.

9. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Thanks, man! I'll grab it when I get more credit! :p

10. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

I also believe you can mute the videos. I'm not 100%, but I think it does

11. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    NOVA 3 .99 sale?

12. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Hell yes. Great deal for a buck.

13. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Downloading now. I've heard it'll be great on my shiny new iPod 5. :D

14. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    It's fantastic on iPod 5,max graphics and a good frame rate :D

15. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Llamasoft

What's the best Llamasoft game other than Gridrunner? Leaning towards Super Ox Wars because I like shooters, but GoatUp and Minotron are tempting... I'd just get all of them, but the $25 credit is running low after a Cave and a Square purchase.

16. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    If you want a super long and deep narrative with a huge open world, get Ravensword. It is a bit buggy though so just be weary.

If you are into shooters, MC4 is not too bad. I find the campaign mode to be bland, and I don't really fancy GL's MP for their MC franchise. But if you liked MC3 then this should surely do the trick.

17. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Super Ox Wars and Minotaur Rescue are my next 2 favorites. Sounds like you already did research for Super Ox Wars... Mintaur Rescue is sort of like a trippy Minter version of asteroids. One mode has a "sun" with gravity..I think the other mode has no gravity. There's also 2 bonus games included. Minotaur Rescue is my 2nd favorite Minter iOS game, behind Gridrunner.

Goat Up is fun, but it's actually not endless. I guess it feels a bit like a trippy version of those endless jumping up games.

Minotron, surprising to me, is not as fun as expected. Controls are not as comfortable for me, and there's a lot of quick, cheap deaths. While I had fun with it, it was also pretty frustrating.

18. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Thanks for the response. I got those two & I'm gonna be very happy with them. Already bringing back that feeling of competing on the leaderboards for Forget-Me-Not.

19. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    You know I picked up that!!!

20. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Can someone please recommend some great real time strategy (RTS) games? I'd prefer something with swords and sorcery over something science fiction, but I'll check anything out if the balance and gameplay is there.

Many thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

Dave