Have a website for your indie company? Did you SEO your site?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by raekess, Aug 3, 2013.

1. raekess

raekess Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Hey all!

Was working on our website as we prepare for launch and was wondering about SEO.
    • How many of ya'll spent time doing SEO for your site?
    • Does it affect site traffic?
    • Does it convert to mobile sales?

Guess I'm just trying to figure out how much of my time it's worth. :)

2. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    #2 Appvism, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    I would probably use your website as a general support/info/promotion for your game/apps as a website users can visit online.

SEO would help of course, but if its a new domain, ranking will be difficult for generic/popular searches and keywords (having a unique name will help of course) so I wouldn't spend too much time on SEO.

Just write naturally rather than spamming keywords, clean markup in the HTML side and use of proper tags in the source code.

Having a good website would probably help towards promoting your brand/professionalism - whether this will lead to more sales is debatable, I personally don't think it will but thats just my opinion.

From my own site, which I also started as i began my indie game dev adventure, my web traffic is low - but for me, i use it to primarily to blog more as a personal experience and learning rather than trying to gain more page views and app sales. I do however slightly hope that my blog will "give my site more weight" which may or may not help in search rankings/SEO..

Looking forward to seeing your website!

3. raekess

raekess Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    I sorta thought the same.

Thanks Appvism! Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

That's sort of what I'm thinking as well, but figured we'd give it the best go that we can!

Rae

4. Which is better, a website or Facebook? Anyone know?