iPhone Through the Hoop - A basketball trick shot game [TestFlight beta testers needed]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Rivernos, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Rivernos

Rivernos Active Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Senior Software Developer
    Helsinki, Finland
    #1 Rivernos, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    UPDATE (October 5th)

Through the Hoop is coming out on October 9th (yes, next Wednesday!). I wanted to share with you the official teaser video with lots of gameplay footage:

Through the Hoop is a new type of 2D basketball game where the player’s goal is to complete each level with one or more trick shots using a one-of-a-kind throwing mechanism. Unlike in other basketball games, the intuitive and accurate throwing mechanism allows players to throw spinning shots and bounce the ball off different objects in order to pass the levels - adding a whole new dimension to the game.

Through the Hoop launches with 85 levels packed into six level packs and will regularly add new levels via app updates.

Features:

◦ Revolutionary throwing mechanism that allows throwing spinning shots
    ◦ Extremely realistic physics (powered by a full-blown physics engine)
    ◦ 85 carefully crafted levels in 6 level packs, and free updates coming up
    ◦ Game Center leaderboards
    ◦ 100% skill, 0% luck
    ◦ 60 FPS
    ◦ Retina graphics
    ◦ Realistic sound effects
    ◦ Excellent replay value
    ◦ Universal app - Play on iPad, iPhone or iPod
    ◦ No ad networks
    ◦ No virtual money or in-game item shops

The original post

I'm new to this forum and would like introduce myself. I'm a 31-year-old professional software developer, who decided to try his wings in the world of indie game development.

I've almost finished my first iOS game called Through the Hoop and I'm now looking for beta tester to try out the game and give some feedback on it.

The game is a 2D basketball trick shot game unlike anything else on the market.

Here is a teaser video on Youtube, that I made couple of weeks ago, it should give you a pretty good idea of the game:

If you are willing to help me and test the game, please follow this TestFlight link: http://tflig.ht/19NYIPu (Beta is now closed!)

The game is universal so all iDevice owners can join (requires iOS v5.0 or above). I would especially like someone to try it on the 1st generation iPad, iPhone4 and iPhone4S (just to verify the performance on those devices).

I've also listed some questions in the release notes of the beta build, and would appreciate if someone would answer those as well :)

2. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Hi, love basketball and games that go with it! This looks like good fun!

Jus signed up to beta test it, I have a 4S which I have used to ask for the beta, but I have an iPad Mini as well if you want me to test on that as well :D

3. Rivernos

Rivernos Active Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Great, thanks! I added your iPhone 4S to the distribution profile. You should be now able to install it via TestFlight. Just connect your iPad mini to your TestFlight account and I'll add that to the profile as well :)

4. waffer15

waffer15 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Sweet add me too, looks awesome, i love. These type of games.
    My email is [email protected]

5. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    Wait i added myself, when can we excpect a build

6. Rivernos

Rivernos Active Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    You should be now able to install it :)

7. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I assume that the teaser was made some time ago, because Openfeint no longer works (was shut down iirc)

Btw game looks awesome, I might just have to sign up at some point.

8. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Installing now :D

Where do you want the feedback sent?

9. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    awesome...i can test this on my iphone4 6.1.3 and iphone5 6.1.4:D

10. Rivernos

Rivernos Active Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Wow, I didn't know that. Yes the video was made about a month ago. Anyway, the OpenFeint leaderboards were going to be only in the Android version of the game. But I guess I'll have to use something else instead...

The main focus is now on iOS and I'll do the missing parts for the Android version later on :)

Thanks, please do sign up :)

11. Rivernos

Rivernos Active Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Actually, you can replay to the email that listed the questions. I should see the your message in TestFlight.

But you can also send me email directly: eeli82 at gmail.com

12. Rivernos

Rivernos Active Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thanks, you should be now able to install the game :)

13. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Cool, thanks for the info and quick respond! Signed up, tf email is [email protected]. Thanks!

14. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    Great fun and addicting game, hets really challenging right from the first level. Its pretty tough to get the hang of, but that is part of the fun. I may suggest making the restart button be on the game screen so you dont have to go into the pause menu to restart.
    Thanks for the beta, pretty awesome game.

15. Rivernos

Rivernos Active Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thanks for the feedback! That's exactly why I needed the game to be beta tested :)

I've been playing the game for at least 30 hours during the development and become blind to many things. For example, I was a bit worried that the first level pack might be too easy, but I hope it wasn't too difficult either?

Adding the restart button on the game screen is a good idea! It is quite frequently used functionality and should as easily accessible as possible. :)

The beta build release notes contained some additional questions as well. If you have time, I would appreciate a lot if you could check those out. You can send the answers by replaying to the email that you got :)

16. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    I'm loving it so far (and I will answer the questions once I get further in) but, if it's possible, Everyplay (or any form of replay) would be AWESOME. Either for the whole level or for just one shot.

17. Rivernos

Rivernos Active Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    #17 Rivernos, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    I'm glad to hear that!

I agree, I've made some pretty sweet shots that would be nice to replay :D, but the first version is kind of featurewise frozen.. but I can always add new features in an update :)

18. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    I know this game is supposed to be challenging, but i thing the second level of the perfect game is way to hard.
    And also, is this freemium, because if so, thats probably no the best idea in most peoples opinions, people perfer preemium, you only pay once games.
    Im not the dev so you can do what ever you want, but its just a suggestion.

19. Rivernos

Rivernos Active Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Ok, that's what I've heard elsewhere as well. I need to adjust the difficulty down a bit or two.

The game does use IAP but only for upgrading from the free version to the full version. So it's basically the same as having separate free and premium versions. But instead having to download the premium version you can simply upgrade the free version to premium without losing your progress in the first two level packs.

But yeah, I've understood that IAP has bad reputation... need to think about that.

20. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    One way is to have both free and paid, where you can make the free one equivalent to the paid with an IAP.

Anyway I am enjoying the game, not sure if it's just me not being very good but I haven't even finished the first level pack yet!

Haven found any issues on my 4S though :)