Card games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by windrider07, May 8, 2012.

1. windrider07

windrider07 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I'm not much of a card game player but I admit I play ever once in a while or when I'm bored. Card games are very relaxing, very strategic and doesn't make too much noise unlike other games. Do you guys play card games on the iPhone/iPod Touch? If so, what game?

2. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
  3. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Vote for Fairway Solitaire. A free game with IAP, but I think that we do not want to use this function to walkthrough the game. :)

4. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    Phase 10
    Euchre
    Wizard
    Cribbage
    Rummy

All of these are strategic card games that I dominate at ;)

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Card Shark Collection is a must if you like card games.

Ascension is one of my most played online card games.

Dungeon Solitaire is a lot of fun - Necronomicon Redux is very similar with a Lovecraft theme...

Iso Cards is pretty neat if you have an iPad and iPhones/iPods, but the IAP for the games is spendy.

6. windrider07

May 8, 2012
  7. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    I second Fairway Solitaire one of my favs and worth purchasing the full version. Also recommend Klondike Solitaire by Finger Arts it's a great free well designed solitaire app

8. windrider07

May 8, 2012
    Just curious but what are the biggest features (as well as weak points) in both games?

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I am really surprised that nobody mentioned "Carcassonne", "Ascension" (this except drelbs) and "Nightfall" yet. These are the best card/board games on iOS. Another very good strategic board/card game is "Hero Mages".

10. windrider07

May 8, 2012
    What makes them "the best" though? Not trying to be analytical...I'm just curious. I like seeing what games are all about and comparing games with each other.

11. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    I'm not sure about Carcassonne (isn't that a 'tile' game instead?), but Ascension and Nightfall are among the best card games on the platform, hands down. I'd add Food Fight, Frantic Frakfurt ("Run" mode rules), and Cabals to the list (again, Cabals is more like a card game cum board /territory game). Oh, and don't forget Asscreed: Recollection!

Edit: BattleCON is supposed to be released these days, which is a card game mixed with a fighting game (like Yomi).

12. windrider07

May 8, 2012
    Where do you find out about BattleCON? By the way, you do realize those games are all based on anime/fantasy characters right? I mean there are fantasy/anime-based card games and then the classic Solitaire card games :)

13. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    #13 thevagrant, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
    You might want to consider Mu and Tichu as well. They are a lot more similar to traditionnal card games, using almost regular decks, pretty strategic and fun. You could also try Gold and Bonanza, though they are getting away from the traditionnal cards.

If you're up for things like Ascension (the best there is! the one I prefer at least) or Nightfall, you might want to try Alien Menace. Much more simpler, with some irritating random parts, but still very fun and with a terrific atmosphere and theme.

And do not forget the famous Hanafuda Koikoi, for which there are several apps of variable qualities in english. Once you understand the rules, it is a really quick and fun game.

14. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
  15. windrider07

May 8, 2012
    Hmm...ok...though the last time I played a fantasy/anime-based card game, that was Pokemon but it's kinda difficult because you have to actually commit yourself to buying the good cards in order to win battles. The classic card games in Solitaire...you just buy the game and it easily kills time because you don't focus on characters...you just focus on strategy.

16. MTKates

MTKates Active Member

May 9, 2012
    iOS Developer
    Yukon, Ok
    It seems as though there are thousands of solitaire type card games on the App Store and most of them are just copies of the same old solitaire games that have been around long before anyone ever imagined a computer.

I may be a little biased, since I created it, but a really fun, all new solitaire game is Blackout Solitaire. It's pretty easy to learn, but can offer a challenge. It's only $0.99 (US) and there is even a stripped down free version so you can try before you buy.

17. windrider07

May 8, 2012
    I think the real challenge for developers making Solitaire games is creating a game that is not only free but is also dynamic. Most Solitaire mobile games only offer very few games and you have to pay for them. PiPlay's Solitaire * offers 36 games completely free and their version is completely different from what I've seen in other Solitaire games. I'm just waiting for them to create new themes lol. Imagine a Solitaire game that had a pink theme...that would be epic.

18. blindspot

blindspot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Scholarly Publisher
    Berkeley, CA
    +1 for Tichu

19. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
  20. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member