Any Shining Force / Fire Emblem style games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Chocolate, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Still very new to all this. I like SRPG's and strategy games a lot. Found some very good tower defenses, and Warfare Inc. Good stuff.

Are there any good SRPG's similar to Shining Force or Fire Emblem for the i-devices? Thanks.

(Advance Wars is good too, if there's anything like that.)

2. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I had the same question a while back, and the best answer I came up with was Mecho Wars.

3. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

The answer is no :(. There are some similar games, but they lack depth in story and gameplay, so -> No :(.

Best thing is to jailbreak the device and play Fire Emblem in the GBA emulator.

4. Chocolate

Jan 10, 2010
    #4 Chocolate, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    Hmm, I'm surprised there aren't more. Thanks.

I think the i-devices would be an ideal platform for them. But then again, maybe they just take a lot of work to produce, since you have to basically combine an RPG and a tactical strategy game into one. Still, I think a solid SF/FE clone would sell well.

Sega should port Shining Force III to i-devices. It was a Saturn game, so many people never even got to play it, but I read it was really good.

Oliver, not sure I wanna get into jailbreaking. Not yet anyway. I already have lots of resources to play emulated games (my PSP for one) and to be honest, I don't like touch screen controls for traditional dpad/buttons controls. Too imprecise and I hate how your fingers cover up the screen etc.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    How about Battle of Wesnoth?

6. Autilian

Autilian Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    I'd have to disagree and say that Battle for Wesnoth is a great SRPG for iPhone and has similar quality's to fire emblem I actually feel it improves on fire emblem for what I was looking for anyway.

Along with that we have Mecho Wars which will feel familiar to anyone who has played advanced wars.

After those two well then we start to run out of games apart from song summoner by square-enix but it cost a bit much.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    There's also Rebirth of Fortune, which is a much simplified version of of FF Tactics/Disgaea style tactical RPG -- shallow, but still polished and fun.

Song Summoner is probably closer to FF Tactics than Fire Emblem.

BTW, this thread should have been created in the Game Discussion section.

8. Chocolate

Jan 10, 2010
    Sorry if it's the wrong forum. Oops.

Thanks for the game suggestions, I'll look at those.

9. Autilian

Autilian Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    I had never seen Rebirth of fortune before, thanks for showing me that one, would thank you more if you had shown me before i used the last of my credit last night XD. Will def buy next time i get a itunes card.

True about song summoner but I was just trying to name SRPG's that i could remember were decent.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    No problem. Besides, you can't stay mad a Chocolate for long -- it's too delicious.

11. Chocolate

Jan 10, 2010
    #11 Chocolate, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    Just bought Mecho Wars (watched a video and it looks great, just like Advance Wars but with some new ideas).

Also getting Lite versions of Song Summoner, Rebirth of Fortune and Battle for Wesnoth.

Speaking of Lite versions - I'm quickly starting to see why people beg for demos on the app store. You can really go nuts buying games because they seem so cheap (compared to other systems) only to find out you spent more than you thought, and you don't really like some of the games and can't ever get money back.

Every game app should offer a Lite/demo, even if it's very small, so people can get a taste of the actual gameplay. For example I bought this racing game called Ground Effect and a flying game called Glyder 2, and honestly I don't really like them much. So that's money gone now. :(

I don't think I will ever buy another $1.99 or more game without first playing a demo again.

12. Bronson15

Bronson15 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Rogue Planet is like Advanced Wars

13. leelim81

leelim81 Member

Aug 16, 2010
  14. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    no hope to see nintendo games on ios :( however, SEGA and enterbrain might be interested in publishing some of their best SLGs here, even port is enough.

15. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    #15 November's Chopin, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    None of them play as smooth and addicting as Fire Emblem, but two come close.
    Battle for Wesnoth - haven't played too much of this, but from what I remember its interface was horrible, lags on older devices for a sprite-based game, and doesn't have that character charm to it (each hero has their own portrait, story, class, equipment, etc)
    War of Eustrath - has some RPG elements, but characters are robots and ships so it loses that charm, complex and messy interface, does not run on older devices properly, and instead of simple stats like 20 HP, this one gives you stats in the thousands like 5839 ATK and 35890 HP which is unnecessarily complicated)
    All the other games mentioned like Mecho Wars are more like advanced wars, since they have no RPG elements, and minimal story.
    I don't know why no one has attempted a Fire Emblem yet. I'm pretty sure it's much easier to make than those flashy 3D zombie shooters or whatever, and there's definitely a bigger market for proper SRPGs than the truckload of zombie games released every other day infesting the appstore.

16. wondroushippo

wondroushippo 👎🏻carter👎🏻
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 4, 2010
    Male
    Ex-TA, now I do PR
    San Antonio, TX
  17. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Swords & Earrings is a fun fantasy SRPG. It doesn't have the best graphics, but it has a lot of depth and is pretty long with over 50 scenarios and five difficulty levels. Try the demo first, to play the tutorial and 2 scenarios to see if you like it.