iPhone Small World 2 (By Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Shatner's hairpiece

Shatner's hairpiece Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009

And maybe you haven't noticed, but this board is about giving input on games, warning others away from bad designs, recommending good designs, etc. If I'm childish for saving someone else the hassle of this 'feature', then who knows what you are for posting nuggets like 'whining, didn't read, try candyland.'

Hey, please continue TO NOT READ me so I don't have to respond to your garbage.

2. Blublub

Blublub Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
  3. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Must admit I'm still trying to understand the basic gameplay. Looks great but is tricky to get to grips with...

Jamie

4. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Zero.

The last post of any kind at the official DoW forums was made on March 31 ... and it was from a guy asking the question you just asked. Nothing but crickets.

Which is sad, because this is a well-made game that desperately needs a refresh. I'm so depressed I think I'll give it a one-star review and demand a refund ...

5. cameron331

cameron331 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    So I'm interested in trying this, but I'm concerned about how the app has aged. Ticket to Ride on the ipad is fantastic, and got me hooked on the physical board game series, Dominion, Twilight Struggle, etc. I'm concerned because the app is missing some features of the physical game and hasn't been updated in almost two years. I read somewhere that an update 'may' be coming, but I'm getting impatient. Is it fun playing just one computer opponent? Do the graphics look alright on the new iPad? Should I just go buy the board game instead?

6. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I have all the same questions. Was excited to buy this, but then noticed you can only play against a single AI.

7. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Each app Days of Wonder has put out has been a dud. Each one is a big fail in its own special way. It's sad really. These could be so much more...the lack of vision and support kills them.

8. cameron331

Nov 22, 2010
    Why is the Ticket to Ride app a 'big fail'?

9. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It's not. That was a troll comment if I've ever seen one.

10. cameron331

Nov 22, 2010
    I know, I just figured I would give him a chance lol...

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #171 crunc, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    Can you play more than 2 humans in hot seat or pass and play fashion? Or is that limited to 2 players as well? If it works with multiple players this could be a good choice for a long train ride. :)

EDIT: Never mind. I see in the OP that it's 2 players only. Weird. :(

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Any chance the developer will patch in 4 player play?

I saw Will Wheaton's Tabletop show's playthru of Small World and it looked like a blast to play.

13. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Sadly, I doubt it. I don't think it sold well, and with how popular Ticket to Ride is, trees no logic to focus back on this relative flop, sadly. Damn great game, and I love the Tabletop series. I picked up Elder Scrolls after watching them play.

14. thedemographic

thedemographic Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Quite some time ago, DoW posted on their forums that they were still developing for this app. I would love to see an online asynch multiplayer option.

15. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Maybe the increased interest sparked by Tabletop caused that. I had bought Small World a long time ago, but had not figured out how to play it. That video did the trick and now I am playing it quite often and wondering if the two IAPs bring anything substantial to the table.

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sure, more of everything (more races and unique perks simply mean even more possible variations each time you play)! Whether they're worth the price or which one is better, I can't recall off hand ;)

17. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Got all excited when I saw the thread get bumped!

I love this app when I have a friend over but if you have a few coming over I HIGHLY recommend buying the actual boardgame! Same with Ticket to Ride!

Me and my friends try to boardgame at least once a week and lemme tell you the iOS versions are fantastic ways to learn the rules and find out if you like the game but nothing beats sitting down with some friends and playing the real thing!

18. Kramer

Kramer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Yeah, it's a shame this was never updated.

Probably my fave iOS boardgame, bar Carcassonne, but as it sometimes crashes - I don't play it very often.

Considering how the App Store works, you'd think a little update after all these years would be good for business.

Seems totally abandoned.

19. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    #179 Appletini, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    You spoke too soon. ;)

Small World is already under reconstruction to be re-released as Small World 2 in June/July 2013, and will add the 3-5 player board and multiplayer, as well as the Be Not Afraid expansion.

This is intended to be a free upgrade for all existing Small World owners, with additional bits and pieces for Kickstarter backers.

[​IMG]

If the developers reach their KS target of $190k (was at around $400 a couple of hours ago, and is currently at $11,038 with 31 days remaining), all of the game upgrades will be free, not IAP (they'd rather avoid IAP, as per the below screenshot)...

[​IMG]

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I found their kickstarter confusing. Is this an update to the existing app or not? I think it is, but it's not that clear. I'm not sure I'm going to fund the kickstarter. I will buy the current game once (if) it is made 100% clear that this will be an update to it.