Pulled 'Atari' and misc games under iOS4

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ouisch, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Quick question to anyone out there that's already using the beta version of iOS4 (or, since it's releasing today, anyone that's using the release version of iOS4).

One thing I've been a bit concerned about is whether the apps Atari released (and subsequently pulled), most importantly "Missile Command" and "Centipede" still run decently under iOS4. I honestly still play them enough that if they don't, it might hold off my upgrading (of course until some app I really want which requires it gets released :p).

Also wondering about TNA Wrestling actually.

Anyone who's tried any of these under the new OS, feedback would be much appreciated.

2. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    #2 B34$T, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    I had Alien Abuse before it was pulled back in 2.X. Let me check it out.

Edit: It worked for me but that won't guarantee it will work for you. Chances are it will work or it may have problems like Eliminate and Pro Zombie Soccer.

3. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    OK, I took the plunge and updated and I can say that at least Centipede and Missile Command still work fine. I didn't test them extensively but they seemed to load up/have sound/no noticable issues. Haven't tried Super Breakout yet (the only other "pulled" Atari game I have), but I'd assume if the other two work, that one should as well.

Dragon's Lair seems borked, but I fired off an email to Digital Leisure and they said an update has already been submitted, so that should be fine soon.

Call of Duty: WaW: Zombies however... argh!

4. Themartinclan

Themartinclan Active Member

Mar 17, 2010
    This brings up an interesting point. For games we own with developers who have left the store (screw you atari for not even commenting why you did!), we are totally screwed for apps that wont work in future ios4.+ updates. We have no recourse at all.

5. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    It’s the same with PC/Mac games. Eventually the OS will move on to the point where an old game might not run. Will it be updated? The answer is never better than “maybe.”

I’ll be satisfied if a game I paid for gets me a few years of use. It’s too bad about Atari—I had no idea they were gone. I do like Centipede, so thanks for testing it!