How to add game to the ratings?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Alexander, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Alexander

Alexander Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Munich
    Hi guys!

Recently (about 3 days ago) my application was added to Appstore. But I can't find it at any rating. I looking for it in New Applications, but never seen it there. I didn't seen it on toucharcade in New Games list. I can find my game only with search tool. Is that depends on time or I should to do something to add my game to these ratings?

Thanks!

2. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    #2 arkanigon, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
    might be the release date you set. If you had for example, a release date of Mar.20th but the app only goes on the store on April 1st... then the app will not appear on the front page on April 1st (if you sort by release date)... because the date it uses is Mar.20th and not April 1st.

Most games/apps don't appear in the 'New' section on the app store... apple picks and chooses those... don't know what criteria they use...

3. Alexander

Alexander Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Munich
    Oops, I set release date 31 march but actually game was added on 2nd april :(

Is that possible to fix it or I can post only update?

4. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    What might work, is changing the release date to some future date... say tomorrow April 6th... (I'm not sure if this will actually work... better wait to check with other developers before trying this)..

So I think the app will be temporarily removed from the app store, but tomorrow on the 6th it will come back on...

But I don't know if that will make much of a difference... depends I guess on how well your app is selling now... if it's doing good, maybe not a good idea to mess with it.

I see your game Lucky Rooster, in the App Store... under Games, Kids... if you sort by release date, your app is on page 3.

The only thing that will change is the app will go to page 1 (if you sort by release date) if you do the date switch thing...

Things like "New and Noteworthy" won't be affected... I don't know how to get on those categories...

5. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Actually I don't think that will work... I think that would only work if you were submitting an update...

be careful about changing the release date to a future date, as I believe it will remove the app from the app store, until that date...

6. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    #6 WellSpentYouth, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
    Wait wait wait, you can change the release date with an update? When I updated, it didn't prompt me for a new release date! How can I change it? In iTunes connect?

EDIT: I found it under "pricing" in iTunes connect. Thanks!

7. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Ok, I am having TROUBLE! I changed the release date of iScreamer 1.1 to tomorrow and then I checked on iScreamer! in iTunes, but it said currently unavailable. So I checked iTunes connect and when I changed 1.1, it also changed 1.0. Do I have to wait till 1.1 is approved in order to change the release date WITHOUT changing 1.0? Thank you!

8. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    This is the danger when changing the release date... if you change the release date of the update to some future date, the current version will also be affected... it will go offline until the future date...

the way I do it is... when I submit an update... I change the date to today's date... so that way, the current app won't be removed... plus if the update gets approved today... its release date is today's date. But then every day I keep changing that date to the current date... until the update gets approved...

I don't know if this is "correct" practice... or frowned upon behavior... I've seen so many old apps that seem to be following this practice, I just assume that's the way it's supposed to be done.

9. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    read my previous post... and change the 1.1 release date to today.

10. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Thank you! I got it!

11. grid

grid Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    iPhone Game Dev
    Minneapolis, MN
    Huh. I didn't know you could do this. I just went in and changed the release date for my next update. Thanks for the info, Arkanigon!

12. Alexander

Alexander Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Munich
    Yep, I've got the same problem with changing "new version's" release date. When I changed release date for new version, then release date for old version also was chenged.