Try before you buy?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chrisrushing, Jul 31, 2009.

?

Lite/Free versions - What is your buying process?

1. Yes - A lite/free versions is always a must.

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Sometimes - I buy because I trust the developer for quality.

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. Sometimes - It's not that much $$$ to spend regardless.

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. No - I purchase based on reviews, videos, and ads.

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. chrisrushing

chrisrushing Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    It really varies for me, but most of the time i refuse to purchase an app if they don't offer a free or lite version to let me test it out.

Some of few games/apps that I have bought without trying a lite version I've regretted afterwards because of one reason or another. For example i wasn't happy with the interface, the gameplay got boring WAY faster than expected, etc... there could be a million reasons.

I'm so glad I didn't buy a number of games that are popular on this forum because they finally released lite versions. An unpolished game, especially unpolished interface/type work... I cannot leave on my phone.

Just curious of the communities thoughts, so i made the poll.

2. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

#2 walsh06, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    It doesnt make a difference to me. there is a good enough community here to be able to get honest thoughts on a game. That usually tells you enough about the game.

also if you only went on lites then you end up missing out on a lot of brilliant games.

3. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    It is a combo of all. I watch videos, read a lot of the community feedback, etc. If there is a lite version, I will try that out, but if it is a developer I trust, than I might just skip, and I haven't picked a bad game that way in a while.
    Most recent were puzzlings, baseball slugger, minigore, and star hogs. I didn't even try starhogs lite because I have all of the IUGO games, and haven't been let down yet.

4. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    Come on guys....

Do you do this if your money? Just buy a thing without trying?

Do you buy a car without a test drive? Do you buy a tshirt withou trying it out?

Come one....No wonder US is on a crisis....people do not know what to do with money......

5. JCik68

JCik68 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    student
    Slovakia
    #5 JCik68, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    I rarely try lite version before buying game, because many times there arent lite versions of games I am interested in so I used to go for it with knowledge of reviews/videos. I am also buying many times in sales, so I dont care that much about trying lite before buying

edit: but for puzzle games I need lite version. They all look same on pictures, yet they offer really different gameplay

6. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    I don't bother with lites. I usually go with what looks interesting and has all the "hype".
    There are some games that I won't buy regardless though, simply because it might not interest me.

7. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    The answer to the poll is ALL OF THE ABOVE

8. walsh06

do you take a bite of a mars bar before purchasing or a sip of the coffee. No you dont. The reason i say these is because these are much closer to the price of an app then the price of a car.

9. chrisrushing

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    Comparing a mars bar to a video game is an illogical comparison.

You aren't going to buy Zenonia or GeoDefense a few times a month. You purchase it once. It's more comparable to a standard video game or piece of equipment.

Thats why when you go in best buy there are demos of games and products.
    Thats why there are tons of demos available on xbox live.

10. walsh06

but my point isnt the thing you are buying its the price. I can understand trying something before you spend €60 on it. But if a €2 game affects you that much, you shouldnt be buying games anyway.

11. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Every cent counts.

12. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    No we're in a crisis because banks trusted tards like you with other peoples money.

13. ixBilalxi

ixBilalxi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Fremont, Ca Bay Area
    I didnt know standard video games or "pieces of equipment" what ever the hell that means, are usually around 6 to 10 dollars a piece.

The thing is that these games cost the same amount as a meal from mcd's or a single coffee.

And relating it to ur horrible analogy. Say you buy something from a dev at 6 dollars one month... you dont like it. Then dont buy subsequent games from that dev without additional research.

Anything under 10 dollars shouldnt warrant a try before you buy... there is more than enough info out there to make an informed decision.

14. chrisrushing

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    Please don't take this as an attack, i'm just stating facts.

First, my analogy was completely logical in relevance to you only buy games or pieces of equipment (I'll give you an example - TV, iPod, Xbox, DVD player, etc) ONE TIME (in most cases). Stores/Xbox/etc offer product demos and game demos of almost everything.
    It was not a comparison of price.

This isn't really relevant to this topic but i'm going to say it anyways.

I'm 26, married, have a house, and many many bills.
    Every. Cent. Counts. Plain and simple, this is life.
    Throughout a month if you buy a book, a few apps, go to the movies, eat out, etc... at the end of the month you've spent $200-$300 extra that you really didn't HAVE to spend.

Therefore, this is why I think lite/free versions are necessary in almost all cases. For me personally its anything that is $3 and up. Really the only games I've bought and been happy with without the lite versions have been Fieldrunners & Defender Chronicles, both solid games.

15. mrchennyken

Mar 11, 2009
    I completely agree.
    Even for $0.99 games, a Lite version is a must for me.

I can't believe the people here who say that they buy games without trying them out.
    They're probably the people who are complaining at the end that they spend hundreds of dollars on apps. Most of which they don't even use.

16. walsh06

Ok if you are so worried about price ill tell you a few free things

1. Youtube - it is filled with info for a lot of apps with user reviews, trailers, gameplay etc...

2. Toucharcade - well look around

3. Appvee - i have found this very good. Its a free app but its just as easy to view them on youtube

now surely there is enough info to see what the game is. If you cant after searching all those well then id say dont buy apps. Which was also my advice for not being able to afford apps.

17. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Where is the lite of Minigore? Lites are must when there is no video of the gameplay.

18. Deadc0der

Deadc0der Active Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Totally agree, so many great games dont have lites

19. Ryan el champ

Ryan el champ Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    subway sandwich artist
    chicago
    Im generally not a cheap person but i too enjoy trying the game before i buy it. Even if its only 2 levels and 5 minutes long that's all i need to make an informed decision. Most of the time though i base it off of user reviews.

20. mrchennyken

Mar 11, 2009
    Maybe I stated it wrong.

Yeah, Lites aren't ALWAYS a must when there are gameplay videos, but the videos would have to be pretty spectacular to make me want to get a game without trying it out for myself. (Like Minigore)