Toucharcade.com app?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Booch138, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    It just particularly came to my mind, but how come Touch Arcade doesn't have an app? Like an app that you could sign into and read the forums and stories easier? I'm no developer or anything but I don't think that would be hard to do... I mean I can view it just fine on my touch through Safari, but come on. You can't say that wouldn't be pretty F*ckin cool hahaha. Anyways, didn't know if there was a topic on this already, didn't see one in the search. Anyways, just thought it would be cool.

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I was thinking about this too. It would be a good idea, but the makers of this site would have to make it, due to log on info I think.
    Wrong section though.

3. Well, wrong forum to start with, but besides that, I can't really think of anything such an app could do that isn't already easily accomplished in Safari.

4. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Not even push notification when a thread about game release has been posted in the forum? :D

5. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
  6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Push for PM
    Push for threads you subscribe too (would helps devs track interest)
    Keep my login info saved

less memory usage since you wouldn't be using safari

I would love having this

7. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Yup. In fact, Apple should sponsor who ever is making this TA app. With every notice pushed, we will be buying games every hour (not just every day) lol...

8. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Neither can I with facebook but I for some reason find the facebook app faster and much easier to use than Safari. I vote yes! But I wouldn't want to pay for it. I wouldn't have paid for Facebook either. I would download a version with ads and maybe there could be a paid app without ads for those that would pay.

9. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    This subject has been breached waay too many times. Yes, it'd be awesome, yes, it'd have to be free, but the possibilities of making it a reality rest with our good reviewer, Arn (he has the keys to the place ;)), and someone actually willing to code it. Basically it'd a GUI that runs off feeds from this place. They'd have to be constant, which makes me wonder...

@dmbfan192: While I'd much rather use the app than actually go to the Facebook website, the app itself sucks. There hasn't been an update in months, it hardly supports the basic functions, and there're a bunch of bugs (e.g, John has posted ______ 4 hours ago).

10. CP1789

CP1789 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    just make a bookmark from the home-screen i did
    it has the green alien icon

11. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Yeah, this would be an awesome app to have if it was pulled off correctly and with a good user interface. Hopefully, one of the site's mods will see this thread and take it into consideration with the others.

12. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    @ Kamazar Sorry i had no idea it was mentioned before, however I did mention that lol. I didn't know how many times, but more times = more want for it. Thats awesome that someone wants to get it together. I hope we can expect it sometime in the near future.

And while I do appriciate your enthusiasm, that's not what I want. I just want it easier for push notification and forum reading thats all. I just think it would be awesome heh

13. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I offered my services to arn a while ago to code this.

No reply.

14. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Ive always wanted this since the week ive been here. lol

15. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Maybe try to contact him again??? It can't hurt.

16. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    Here's a brief rundown of what making a "client" like this would entail and why it hasn't been done yet. Let's forget about the news posting on the main page and just focus in on the forums. To begin with, the bright side is that TA (Arn) chose a great forum platform in vBulletin. It's very customizable and thousands of scripts have been written for it. You can run the whole site using it. This would have to be a two part project.

1. A script would have to be written that outputs all new content when the client logs in and parses it to the proper areas within the client app. (which is already done within the browser technically speaking)

2. The client app would have to take the (parsed) information and organize in the proper modules of the client app and the app would not only have to render all the new information since your last login, but would have to do this all in reverse when you wanted to reply to posts or messages.

Nevermind making adjustments to your profile or adding content like pictures or video. This would all have to be done on a testing enviornment exactly like TA's and I don't see Arn either mirroring this site or using it for experimental purposes.

17. twick

twick Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Just create a page for outputing in XML/SOAP so an App dev can parse through it and display it in an App. I'm not sure how PUSH Notify works but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to push out a notification when the page changes or somthing.

I'm Not much of a developer for iPhone but have done this with desktop apps and webpages.

18. dorino

dorino Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Immediately I considered just making an iPhone formatted theme for vBulletin and then a quick thing to check the client and apply that theme accordingly.

That's not difficult and would make the site a lot nicer on the ipod, which if I'm not mistaken is the purpose of the app proposed...

:p

19. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Well.. I dunno lol. Like I said, I just hope for one, if it would be too difficult to make then that makes sense why there isnt one at the moment but it would be cool to have the site look easier on the iDevices. Like a .mobile version or something but I dunno. It's not a huge deal, it would just be cool is all.

20. Genius

Genius Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    TA needs an app

Pocket gamer has an app TA should make an app cuz I use my itouch a lot and I have 2 open safari everyday and keep a tab open