Universal DARIUSBURST SP [by TAITO]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 9, 2012.

1. frankthechicken

frankthechicken Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Taito won't let me give them my money because I'm in the UK?

I feel oppressed, I feel discriminated against, I feel slightly richer because of it.

Ah well, it looks like it could be a nice game, but back to work.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ehhhh? I bought this the other day and I live in the UK

3. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    @flameon:
    replay prob depends on whether you like playing for score. The default difficulty is 'easy', which is pretty much a walk in the park if you just want to get to the end. You can play through the routes of stages to get to four different endings.

These endings are slightly different between Original and SP modes (and as Eightrooks said, the enemy patterns are slightly different too).

Then there's mission mode, which contains 8 stages, each containing 4 different missions, which all have limitations such as no extra lives, pre-set weapon power, limitation to a certain ship etc.

Personally, i think there is quite good replay value here, and the four ships on offer are subtly different in their abilities- i.e. homing missiles, or free-fall bombs, different bursts etc.), and i guess if you're the type that likes to do a score-attack, then you can keep playing for a long time. Definitely worth the 9EUR for me anyway.

4. frankthechicken

frankthechicken Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2011
    psj3809, you're completely right!! I kept trying to buy it using the link at the beginning of the thread with no joy, but a simple search on the store and there it is.

Not for the first time today, I feel like a fool.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha ha. No worries. Did come out first in the US and then about 8 hours later in Europe

6. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+2]DARIUSBURST SP[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    08/02/2012
    [/size]

Do you like this impressive shooting game classic?

[size=+3][thread=122060]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

7. DusT_HounD

Jun 27, 2010
    Totally gonna vote DB, although from current trends, it looks as though Beat Hazard Ultra will win. That said, BHU is also certainly deserving. Plenty of great games came out this week, and long may that continue!

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I almost didn't vote for DB because of the crash on my 4th gen touch every time I beat the game, making unlocking anything completely impossible on that device... But since I've got an iPad, and can unlock things... I've sunk more time into this than another game this week... Which is strange because I was VERY excited for DDP BD, Raid Leader, and Eufloria...

Even beat hazard has only got about 10 minutes of gameplay from me...

LOVE this game... And will love it even more once the Devs fix the crash on iPods...

9. DusT_HounD

Jun 27, 2010
    #129 DusT_HounD, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    @syntheticvoid:
    yeah- it's a weird problem alright. Do you think it could be an issue with the larger-capacity ipod touches?

Like i said earlier- i'm on a 4th gen 8gb touch, iOS5.01, and have had no crashes at all. Too strange. I don't even bother clearing out the memory before playing, and also often quit to the home screen from a paused game, before jumping back in a few hours later, and still no crashing.

10. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    No crashes on my 8GB 4th gen Touch either. Love the game, though in some respects I find it harder than bullet hell shooters - currently struggling to pass Mirage Castle (4th boss) on Normal on a single credit (if you use continues, you're doing it wrong :p) and wishing there was a practice mode. :(

I don't think hori shooters work as well as verts on a touch screen, either... I don't know, it just feels a bit more awkward reaching in from the side to control the ship, and I seem to end up obscuring important bits of the action a lot more often. But still, Christ, the music, the art design, the way the game works... despite the flaws, I totally don't regret paying a premium for this. Glorious stuff.

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    haha... totally agree!

and again... agree agree agree!!! Probably would have felt good paying a good $20-$25 for this one... considering all the extras it has compared to the PSP version...

Then again, I consider my iPod an actual gaming device... and bought my iPad 2 as a gaming 'console' - instead of buying an XBOX 360 or PS3...

So now when a game that's 'priced high' comes along... I really don't have a problem with it... and generally see it as a great deal, especially when other versions of the game are selling for 2x or more of the iOS price...

Anyway... FANTASTIC game...

and I'm not too sure about the crashes... it's weird... I did a hard reset, cleared the multitasking bar, deleted, and re-downloaded...

running iOS 5.01, have got 17 GB of free space (I've had games crash if I have less than 6GB of free space, and not crash if I clear up some space...) - and have NEVER JB my iPod... and did a restore on my device before upgrading to iOS 5.01 from 4.3.3...

I don't see why it would be a problem only on the higher GB devices... but it's strange that both of your 8GB Pods aren't experiencing the end of game crash...

12. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    G-Darius is quite possibly the coolest shooter ever. A revamped iPhone version of that game with juiced up graphics would be worth 20 dollars easy.

Dariusburst looks fantastic. I am waiting it out for a sale, but I don't know how long I can make it :)

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    After playing it, and reading about how much extra work went into this one... Had no problem shelling out the $10.... Again, really, with all the extras... Would have felt great paying $20-$25 for it...

14. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    To clarify, if it helps - I have not beaten the game on Normal at all, as I'm trying to 1CC it (and I have other things to play/be doing as well :p ). But I did beat it on the default easy settings, and my iPod did not crash at any point, nor have I had the game crash at any time since then even though I haven't got another ending.

15. DusT_HounD

Jun 27, 2010
    @eightrooks & syntheticvoid:
    i credit-fed through each route on original and sp modes, because i wanted to unlock stuff before seriously attempting 1CC. Seen the endings at least 8 times, no crashes, luckily!

As regards to practice for bosses (which are the main bulk of the challenge, in my opinion), mission mode definitely is where it's at- some missions are specific boss encounters, set to particular difficulties. Mirage Castle on normal is definitely in there. You pick a ship, then start fully powered up, at 16x multiplier, then go at it. But awesomely, you only have a single life...

Again on the topic of bosses, which do you guys think is the coolest? I was all about Mirage Castle, but i think Heavy Jaw wins it.

16. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

The crashes (iPad 1) are almost killing this for me now. I've completed pretty much every final letter in both modes and I haven't even unlocked the ship that you unlock for completing ONE run through, because it crashes out at the end of every completion. I don't see the "enter your name" bit, it crashes before that even appears.

Hard reset, blah blah blah, not jailbroken. 64gb, though - is there a theory about large memory being an issue? If so, WHAT THE F?

And the orientation. Yeah, I mentioned it before but COME ON!

17. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    To 1CC this game, is it assumed only 3 lives and not 4 or 5?

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #138 Royce, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    Since you can change the number of lives and continuing is the same as using another life (multipliers lost but power ups and progress retained, I think it's probably only fair to qualify that you 1cc with more lives if you change the setting. I think most people would assume 3 lives though technically it just means no continues.

Dark Helios is probably my current favorite, and I like his ending too.

19. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Just completed Mission 3-1. Sheesh...how many stages do some of these missions have?!? Great fun tho - finally beat the snake without dying.

20. DusT_HounD

Jun 27, 2010
    @gregB: when selecting a mission, if you hold your finger on the button itself, at the bottom of the screen, it'll tell you what is in that mission.

@Royce: Dark Helios is especially cool if you know the back story of it, regarding Syvalion. It's the little touches that they've added in to this game that i really like.

Also, if anyone was wondering why some of the boss designs look kind of gundam-esque, it's because two of the designers from Gundam 00 were brought in to do them.