iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Yeah it certainly offered a nice console experience, but after a while it gets boring and the characters, while initially seem interesting (maybe because of the voiceover), end up being rather mainstream and predictable.

I still agree with most people who said that the original game is awesome, but the quality of the port is less so. With texture 'seams' appearing everywhere, weird controls, time bugs, etc.

Compared to traditional RPGs like the generic Zenonia, this one certainly shines though.

2. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Oh, really? Could've sworn I told you about it last week. ;)

That oddity aside, it's good to see you like the game; CGS as a console-style RPG is a bit meatier than most of the action-based KRPGs that show up on the app store. Mostly looking forward to Chrono Trigger now it's been announced, though. ^_^

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1023 undeadcow, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    I want to like this game but have so far found it to be bland. Maybe this is due to the dialog or the generic enemy spirits or the passable but awkward menu system. I still have it and keep vowing to go back to it. I really like the enemy engagement or avoidance dynamic and how they chase you. Also there are some good environmental mazes.

I really wish some of the other Atlus games would get ported over... Persona(s), Disgaea, Shin Megame Tensu(s) [I am sure I mis-spelled half of those].

4. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Atlus recently announced that an English version of Disgaea is coming to Android in the Spring, so here's hoping it hits iOS as well.

5. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #1025 Marcus70, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    That Disgaea version only contains the item world freemium which came out in Japan a while ago.

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #1026 L.Lawliet, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    Ahh man I just found out that you can't use passive skills on the ipod version =\ the regen ones are the most important. Does anyone know if they work on the older versions? Maybe I'll switch to 1.0.1? I think it's a huge bug considering that one of the characters need MP regen since all his attacks are magic. Now I'm not sure if I should keep playing or not..

I figure not having it wouldn't kill the game but since the mage should have it then I'm not too sure how to make up for it. I guess i'll have to keep expending more MP potions and waste turns if I need to.

7. Im trying this out on my iPhone 4S but it keeps freezing and then crashing. Is this common?

8. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Someone should change the name of the thread. lol . This has been on my wish list for ages and I almost hit the buy button in the appstore when I saw this thread.

9. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    If you can get this on a good sale (I have no idea what it runs currently) then there is fun to be had but what killed the game for me were the absolutely irritating swipe controls. This game has one of the most absolutely horrid touch controls of any game I've ever played on iOS.

A pity, really, as it was a fun game for many hours until I just couldn't stomach fighting the controls any longer...

10. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Still no update?!?

Well, if you're using iOS 5.0+ there is no reason to get this game. It'll play fine through the intro, but once you head out to do battle to level up... it starts crashing like crazy! And I don't think it has multi-tasking support. So, all you 4 and 4S owners out there, be prepared for the music and voices to cut out followed by a crash.

I also have it loaded on my 3G running 3.1.3. It plays just fine on that right now, which is pretty disappointing since that is 2 year-old technology. If they just updated the game, then there might be reason for current iPhone owners to buy it.

But as it is, if you're not still using that 3G on iOS 3+ then I would stay far away from this old gem.

11. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    What a shame, this has been on my wishlist for ages but ive held off because I didnt know if it would still run well seeing that the last update was on 2010. Guess I know now.. Its sad because it looks quite good..

12. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah this is one of my favorite games I've ever played... But since it keeps crashing, I can no longer enjoy it!

I'm about to start playing RPG Dragon's Odyssey Frane in hopes that it will give me that enjoyment instead.

It's too bad too. If they released an updated CGS I'd pay for it all over again.

13. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    better off getting crimsonheart instead. Frane left me severely disappointed.. especially for the price. you could get 3 or 4 great games for that price of that mediocre one.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Frane is way, way better than Crimsomheart (which, besides the nice graphics and smooth controls, plays exactly like every other KRPG). Frane is not for everyone, but mediocre it is not.

15. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Don't suppose anybody's figured out how to work around the incessant crashing? It's about a 25% crash rate after a battle or switching screens.

16. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    As far as I know there's no way to solve the crashing. Game hasn't been updated in a long time and has serious issues if you're running iOS 5.xx. Anyone viewing the thread- do NOT buy this game if you are using iOS 5.

17. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Missing voice dialogues, crashing, wonky controls... Yup, don't buy. I'm still kicking myself over it.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, before iOS 5.0 the game was well worth playing.

19. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Can you expand on that, buddy? Because I don't see what the OS version has to do with the playability of this game since the bad control scheme and missing voice dialogue were there from the beginning.

20. Sensei

Sensei Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    Teacher, writer
    Japan
    Despite its flaws it was a good game. But with iOS 5.x it is nearly unplayable. Crashes constantly. I used to love this one.