We need something like this!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PeterM11, Jun 10, 2009.

1. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    Anyone else think this looks pretty cool and that it would be awesome if someone made something similar for developing on the iDevices?

http://g4tv.com/videos/37357/Kodu-Game-Creator-Walkthrough/

I think it would be great to have something to just drag and drop to make games/apps and not need to program anything. Could make game development way faster.

2. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

The downside is you get even more apps on the store because the barrier to entry (programming know how) has been lowered further. And chances are those apps aren't going to be that great since there's no way you can make full use of the device's capabilities with a drag-and-drop game creator.

3. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    True. But I still think it could be interesting.
    And still I could see a Drag-And-Drop App creator. Not for games just for other apps.
    That would be pretty cool. If you could like make most of an app really quickly and then just export everything to Xcode and add in features that you couldn't in the Creator.
    I'm just saying it would be cool.

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    #4 Kamazar, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    It exists, and it's called GameSalad. READ MY BLOG, DAMNIT (it's the last link in my sig)! I'm actually making a game with it. While I agree that it'll make development easier, I doubt that there'll be that much of an increase of stupid apps. It takes time and effort to make a game that Apple isn't gonna shoot down.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Not really; Apple only rejects games that violates their guidelines. The crappiest games imaginable get approved just fine, as long as they stay within the guidelines (DS Effects, anyone?).

It does, however, take time and effort to make a good game that will sell a decent amount. Also, I haven't yet seen a drag'n'drop environment that wasn't quite limited in one way or another compared to coding. (Unity does have drag'n'drop in the editor which certainly simplifies some things, but it's still primarily about coding.)

--Eric

6. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Hm, still think I should check out this salad-thing could be useful for prototyping at the very least.

7. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

We have our roots in Flash development which makes for pretty good prototyping :)

8. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

We have had game creators on various platforms for years and I don't remember seeing a flood of great games as a result. There are a couple of reasons for this....
    1. Making an easy to use system with enough flexibility would require so much work and the creation of so many assets that the cost would render it unprofitable.
    2. The general public as a whole are not creative enough to come up with anything good and frankly most of them don't want to make the effort. Only a small % of users ever create content, less still good content. Therefore creating a system any idiot can use will just encourage any idiot to use it.