Three new robotics technologies, please help

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by joelteply, Jul 15, 2011.

1. joelteply

joelteply Member

Jul 15, 2011
    I'm currently working heavily with some fairly advanced concepts in robotics, such as computer vision, which is in the game I talked about in another thread, VisionBall. It's similar to XBox kinect. I can do facial tracking, gestures, whole body tracking, etc. Anything xbox kinect can do, but I've got to make it more sensitive and work better in various lighting conditions.

Anyway, I have three things I am researching and working with and was wondering what types of games you would like to see using these technologies. The first is computer vision which makes the hand tracking possible in VisionBall. The second is neural networks, which allows for the game to learn, and the last is genetic algorithms.

So a few rough ideas I had were evolution based games similar to pocket frogs using the genetic algorithms and then lastly learning games for the neural networks, which is true AI. I was thinking maybe a tamagachi style game.

For the computer vision I was also going to do some cheesy photo effects that haven't been seen so far, doing stuff automatically that you can do in photoshop with no need to click around. It's how my home decorator app works, but I'd like to make it more general.

What I wanted to know is any input on what you would like to see in a game besides what already exists. If you like something on wii, ps2, kinect or have any other idea I'd be open to it. Obviously there are limitations with a phone but there are also features these systems don't have. I'm fairly convinced that the kinect stuff is possible, since I have it working to some extent with VisionBall, but I have yet to put genetic algorithms (breeding) or neural nets into anything useful beyond just a demo. I'd appreciate any ideas a lot.

2. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Well, I don't know if it's possible, but I've always wanted to use my finger as a sword (with the camera, kinda like you could in wii/kinect but I've never done before). If it's possible, and could be put into a fully fledged game (e.g. not just a demo, even if it just was a simple game). I know it would be simpler to use touch controls though....i just think it would be awesome if you could control a sword :D. It would also be cool if you could make a legit fingerprint scanner with the camera technology (or even better, eyeball scanner, but I don't think it's possible...) Anyways, there's probly endless possibilities. I'll be sure to check out visonball though!

3. joelteply

joelteply Member

Jul 15, 2011
    It's very possible, and I actually have the finger positions in that game even though I am not using it. If you go to the settings screen you can see how it is recognizing your hand. The red and green dots are actually monitored positions, so whatever it is able to see (put a dot on) it can be turned into a mechanism for controlling a game. I also have the angle and could just as easily move a sword or baseball bat around.

GREAT IDEA, thanks!