Why are developers moving away from old gen devices?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by socom39, Dec 9, 2010.

1. socom39

socom39 Well-Known Member

I have a 3rd gen 8gig iPod touch that I game on. The past two months or so I have noticed apps that are imcompatible with my device. Flash forward to today almost every new app that comes out is incompatible for whatever reason it may be. Personally im getting pretty pissed off. It hasnt even been a YEAR since I have had my device. I game on my iPod for fun, and thats going to stop all together soon due to the lack of developer support for older devices.

If I want to play some game with high end graphics I will game on my PS3. When im on the iPod I just want to play some high quality mobile games at afforadable prices. So why are developers forgetting about the older generations of devices? Do you not want our money? Im not about to go out and purchase a new $300 ipod or $500 ipad just to play your $1-10 priced games when I could turn on my PS3 and get a 100% better gaming experience without having to upgrade anything at all.

The problem is you keep on forgetting about us older gens. Graphics are good eye candy sure but it does not make a game great. If you want a great game you have to have gameplay. It just makes no sense at all why developers are ignoring the older gens and making no effort to make the apps compatable with our devices. All they are doing is loosing $. Eventually I will go out and get a new iDevice but honestly im not spending $300 to play your $5 game LOL thats a joke!

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #2 Cilo, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
    Same reason why Call of Duty 4 doesn't run or wasn't ported to the NES. Technology moves forward and in the mobile space a little faster than the average.

Also if I remember correctly the 8g ipod touch was never a true 3rd gen device, that was a misinterpretation of the 3rd gen lineup by users failed comprehension of the spec shit on the Apple site. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP570

So really the device you own is 2 generations back, which might exasperate your frustration even further.

3. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Because they're old. Look I'm on a 2G so I understand your complaints, but they're doing what they have to so that their game looks great and plays as smoothly as possible. Developers need money, people aren't buying 2Gs and 3Gs in mass amounts anymore, people are buying 4Gs and that trend will continue. You've got to develop to the newest tech and that's what they're doing. I know there are still a lot of 2G and 3G owners out there, but as every day passes those numbers will decline and developing your game toward a declining market isn't a good idea.

4. Abisco

Abisco Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    On the internet.
    Because people want higher quality games, and to handle those higher quality games, be it graphics or just many things going on in the game, we need better gaming rigs... that's all. I know it sucks but thats life...

5. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I've got a 1st Gen. Odds are the games that are compatible with my device lag like hell now. Your just unlucky that you got your iPod 1 B.R (Years Before Retina).

And to keep with these analogies
    It's the same reason why Avatar wasn't released on VCR for the old folks who don't have a DVD player

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I think the stage we are in will not last too long, by this I mean our mobile technology is getting old, relatively quickly, but I think in the near future the curve will begin to flatten out. When we get iPhones/iPods to the level where they have massive screen resolutions and can handle current gen console/PC games then I think that will be the new standard for a while before we move on. I realise that technology in general is growing at an exponential rate, but I think portable gaming (if not all gaming) will stall momentarily, while people try to figure out some new way of gaming that doesn't require screens or controllers (most likely through the brain).

7. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Whats funny is sony thinks we want to play a ps3 on the go will releaae a really expensive psp2 with ps3 graphics.

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #8 LBG, Dec 9, 2010
    I counted 4 assumptions, 3 of them are wild (prize for anyone who guesses them correctly).

9. socom39

socom39 Well-Known Member

It is true that technology is moving forward, that I agree with.

I dont see how you can compare this to COD4 not being on the NES for example the changes are very minor between generations of iPods. Hell you cant even compare it with a PS1 getting upgraded to a PS2.

I see it more as a regular donut getting sprinkles on top of it. The iPod 1st gen is the same as a 4th with some decent graphical enhancements thats it. Sure it has other improvements but the technology is pretty much the same. You still play your 4th gen iPods the same way as gen 1, 2 and 3.

10. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #10 Cilo, Dec 9, 2010
    It was an exaggerated example that I agree, but comparing it to a donut with sprinkles, that's as far fetched as can be. And if the technology was pretty much the same do you think developers would say their game can't run on an older device? People take these things so personally.

11. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
  12. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
  13. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Umm... the difference between a 1st Gen and a 4th Gen is huge, such as processing power and speed.

14. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

well the difference of computing power between a 2nd gen ipod and a 4rd gen ipod is huge.. if you think thats sprinkes on top of a donut.. well thats your opinion... next time if you buy something "new" you might want to inform yourself better on what you are actualy buying.. a 3rd gen 8gb ipod is 2,5 years old tech.. yes it can't play the newest games because it technically can't..

15. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    LOL! ;) this was nice.. 2 minds same thought..

16. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    If this is true, then why does a game like NBA Elite 11 which has been allowed to run on all devices, been given a severe graphical hit to even let it work on my device.. yet the game lags like crazy still. Because the device simply isn't strong enough to support it properly.

4th Generation devices have insane processing speeds and graphical power allowing for games not possible on any previous devices. Steve Jobs said himself that the retina display will be the best possible screen for several years and as someone said before me, portable gaming should flatten out after this extreme rise in technology. It has taken some 25 years for us to get to a high level with consoles, portable gaming has done it in 4.

17. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    -Sony's funny?
    -Playing a PS3 on the go
    -PSP2 with PS3 graphics
    -Fact that there's a PSP2
    -The non-wild one: Really expensive

Anyway, I feel your pain. The 2nd Gen is being neglected, but I think that it's a good thing. In a way. Developers will be able to make BETTER games, without having to drag the older systems behind them.

Also, the 8GB 3rd gen = 2nd gen.

18. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Almost.

- non-wild: The assumption that there will be a PSP2

- Sony thinks we want to play a PS3 on the go
    - It will be really expensive
    - PS3 graphics

19. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Darn :p

20. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    SoCom39, I really do understand your complaint. I have a first generation Touch and the number of games it did not work with was getting really aggravating so I bought an iPad a couple of months ago and now use the iPod for music, movies, and favorite old games. The iPod is still useful and I take it everywhere that I don't want to risk taking the iPad.

The sad fact is that times, like technology, change and you have to adjust. The older iPods are simply not capable of running the newer games. The same will be true of my iPad someday, too.