Can a PC version of a game be used like flash for game advertising

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Krehol Games, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

I notice how flash games like canabalt and robot unicorn attack had flash versions then converted to paid apps on iphone. I dont know how to program in flash , but I can make a port to Windows PC. I am wondering if anyone has actually tried this before. I am doing it with my game , but its not the full version. This is an example

Here is a taste of Momo Alienstarcatcher for Windows PC computer . You control Momo with with the arrow keys. You move Momo left and right avoiding the Meteors collecting the stars.

Small star= 50 pts.
    Big Star = 2000pts , plus invicible for a few seconds
    Ray Gun = Fires a small spaceship that will destroy Meteors

When the boss appears , avoid his bombs and after they land you can fire them back at him. Your highscore will save ,so you can challenge yourself over and over. Very addicting download your free copy now here

http://krenisis.freeforums.org/momo-alien-star-catcher-plus-free-windows-pc-version-t189.htm

The full version with 2 playable charactors is only 99 cents for iphone/ipod

2. Krehol Games

feedback

Has anyone tried this tactic or just flash ?

3. Ozden79

Ozden79 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    So far what I've seen personally is that all those flash conversions are from established flash game portals, you can see the publishers are the same as those websites. This helps to get visibility from the beginning as those games are already played a lot at those places.

I think creating simply a PC version or flash version won't work unless your game gets a huge interest on those platforms first and than you convert your game to iDevice platform.

Just my 5 cents...

4. I don't think a downloadable PC version will be nearly as effective as a Flash version for marketing your iOS apps for a few reasons:

1. People don't want to spent time downloading and installing it. Flash is much quicker to get into the game.
    2. People are worried about viruses and trojans. It will be hard to convince people that it is safe to download a game from an unknown developer.
    3. A large percentage of the market runs on Macs, not PCs.
    4. Nobody will find your site in the first place in order to try the game (related to Ozden79's comments).
    If you don't have a Flash version, I would stick to making a killer trailer video and screenshots.

5. Krehol Games

thanks

OK thanks for the suggestions!!!

6. FancyFactory

FancyFactory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    I did this with Age of Tribes in some way. Unity3D offers a webplayer component, similar to Flash. So I exported the lite version of AoT for this component and included it in the homepage: http://www.age-of-tribes.com/
    However, this did not helped the game much. But that's another story. ;)