iOS Official Game Controller API

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by AlienSpace, Jun 11, 2013.

1. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    So it looks like this may actually be happening. An official API for game controllers from Apple, including dual analog sticks, buttons, etc.

What do you guys think?

2. iChris

iChris Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Software Developer
    Dortmund, Germany
    Is it really a preferable kind of controls for mobile devices? Games like Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump etc. have simple controls but they fit perfectly into mobile device capabilities.
    Curious about your opinions!

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think its superb. Theres a good amount of games which are brilliant on the iCade or iCade joysticks.

Obviously games like Tiny Wings etc dont need joysticks, but a good majority of games like platformers and others would be great to have the possibility of using a joystick.

Theres a lot of iCade compatible games but because it always had to be 'secret' (you werent meant to be icade compatible in your app description) but now its all 'open' then hopefully many more games will be compatible with the right joystick/official one etc.

Looking forward to it

4. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Agreed. This is great for gamers and devs alike. No more control limitations

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just had my internet speed upgraded from 2 meg to 30 ! So i'll have to test to see if games are better on my Apple TV or not as there was always a slight lag before.

But my point was with this external controller many more people will get into joysticks with iOS gaming, combine that with Apple TV and you have a brilliant gaming device hardly taking up any room.

If i was the gamedock people i think they should get their product out asap before all the other joysticks/larger devices come to market...

http://iosgamedock.com/

Dont get me wrong i'm sure they're going as fast as they can but its only a matter of time till ION and other manufacturers come out with different joystick devices etc

6. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    An Apple-provided API and MFi requirements are good things!

The Apple API means less work/hassles for both game and hardware devs, and MFi certification ensures button mappings will always be the same, no matter the manufacturer. Just look at the complete mess of incompatible iCade controller mappings to see what happens when Apple isn't involved.

This doesn't preclude hardware companies from releasing specialized (or not-MFi) controllers however. The CoreBluetooth API has been open for a while now and anyone willing to write their own SDK are still free to do so. Though I bet some companies that have already done this (like iFrogz) are probably a little miffed since the keynote.

7. iOSPeace

iOSPeace Well-Known Member

Thank The Lord! A controller for games like Modern Combat, Nova and Asphailt and other FPS's and Such. Can't wait for more info on this

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

what has your internet connection todo with you local wifi?

in general there will always be some lag even with fast wifi , but the image quality does not degrade as much with a good good connection.

as for controllers, there are still a niche and i doubt there is really a big demand out there. this may change with a beefier apple tv that can play games directly.

9. iOSPeace

iOSPeace Well-Known Member

But there are so many controller companies out there and very few actually work. The only one that really works is the Sony ps3 controller and to use it, you have to be jailbroken. So a controller for iOS would be great. Expecially for FPS and dungeon crawler RPGs. So can't wait for it to come out

10. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    For some games the touch on-screen controls are fine, but for other games like FPSs they're not. You really need more than 2 control points. Analog sticks, triggers, and buttons are really essential for many games, and knowing that you hit a control (a physical button) because you felt it is much better than not knowing because you got no tactile feedback from the touch screen. Not to mention the loss of screen real estate when you clutter it with controls.

I cant wait for this.

11. Iphoenix

Iphoenix Member

Jan 29, 2013
    I cant wait too. All those shmups...... Wosaaaa!

12. iChris

iChris Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Software Developer
    Dortmund, Germany
    I'm wondering how many users will use external controllers. All friends of mine playing games while they are on their way to work or so and I doubt that they would carry external controllers with them.
    What's zour experience with that issue?

13. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    It's more about having a option for more traditional gaming experiences. Your friends do what they becuase there are no alternatives. They also may continue to game how they currently do after the MFi controllers comes out. For others that wish to go to another level with FPS, platformers, fighters etc. we will finally have an option to do so :)

14. Twixx

Twixx Member

Aug 23, 2012
    iOS Developer
    SC
    Totally agree, it opens up so many more possibilities for games. I also wonder if they will allow a way to airplay the game to your apple tv for example, while controlling it with the game controller.

It feels like they are really headed towards an app store and games on the apple tv with this. Exciting times! Really looking forward to what else they announce later this year.

15. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    That'll work automatically if you turn on mirroring, but games can also optimize this by targeting the second display directly (most Gameloft games do this already). Problem with AirPlay is lag/stuttering of the live video feed itself - hopefully that'll improve with new iOS and hardware updates.

16. Twixx

Twixx Member

Aug 23, 2012
    iOS Developer
    SC
    Right, I always forget about mirroring. I guess I'm more excited about the future possibilities of Apple TV and games and taking out the whole need for mirroring/airplay in the first place.