JCho's Sci-Fi Game Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JCho133, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
  2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #82 JCho133, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  3. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Shadow Protocol, from the page before, is coming out July 7th!

4. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Beyond Gravity

This is a new planet-based platformer about collecting stuff from the guy who brought us Bike Baron! It is drop dead gorgeous and 100% premium ($1.99 USD). It has an extensive list of upgrades and procedurally generated levels. It uses smooth 1-touch controls and, most importantly, takes place in space!

Launching July 10th!

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Hell yeah... got my eyes on that one.

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #86 JCho133, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Number 51

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161437845/number-5

An interesting new sci fi (obviously) shmup with a modern flair spring from retro roots. It has an intriguing narrative element, and 3 ships to choose from. Very pretty pixel art, and several enemy races, each with 4 unit types. Has a modest goal of $950, I'd really like to see this one get funded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Made the post above feature complete

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #88 JCho133, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    I'm back again! Now with a game veeeeery worthy to be in here.

Mission Europa 2.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=245095

Sequel to the cult classic Mission Europa, it blends all the Sci-fi horror RPG goodness that the original had, but lovingly built into the Unity engine (for time's sake of course!) If there's one thing the first one got right, it was atmosphere. A really interesting story coupled with terrifying sound work and visuals made a truly unsettling experience. Arguably the best in the Sci Fi horror genre on iOS until Dead Space Mobile came around.

9. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    I'm stoked for this title and the dev is super interactive on here and his blog. I'm holding out hope me1 gets re released on the App Store! So much loot bro!

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Agreed! Would kill for a widescreen update

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #91 JCho133, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Space Expedition.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=247933

A beautiful GBA style sci-fi metroidvania-esque platformer from the developer of Parking Mania and the anazing Dead Ahead.

Sci-fi and metroidvania in the same sentence. Go buy it already!

Mini Review: This game is utterly brilliant. It's an absolute love letter to fans of Metroid when it comes to atmosphere, though it doesn't come with the slick combat and more free form type of roaming. Still, it has shot up to number 1 on my game of the year list.

The game is split into episodes, each of which are a somewhat linear sandbox that allows backtracking, secret finding, and multiple paths to travel, but ultimately has a final goal to move along to. Reaching this takes you to the next "episode," but it feels as fluid as taking an elevator in a Metroid game as you pick up exactly where you left off in the environment.

The upgrades you find are often scripted sort of, in that you pick them up and lose them at specific points. There's one in particular I'm thinking of.

It gives me a sort of Stealth inc feel in that it's a sort of puzzle platformer, but more like the way the overworld of Stealth Inc 2 feels, with more casual environmental puzzles as you move along.

The story is subtle but intriguing, with text logs to be found on fallen scientists' bodies to add to it. There's also moments where you'll see something strange and your character will comment on it, which bump the creepiness factor. The pixel art is f*ckin incredible, with the look of a GBA game, but with colors that pop so much that you just want to stare at them for hours. The game plays with silohouttes in that the ground above and below is solid black with no detail, but the backgrounds and areas you move through are delectably detailed, especially the backgrounds.

This comes together to craft a completely gripping atmosphere of curiosity and caution, and the tense moments of the game successfully grabbed me, however unlikely it may seem that they would.

It's a little on the short side, taking most people around 45 mintutes, but I was able to scrape out a little over an hour by combing every nook and cranny for secrets (such as the hidden gems in each area). But hey, since when has length mattered as long as the experience is powerful enough?

This is one I'll remember, and has certainly earned a place in my all time favorites on iOS.

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Updated above with a mini review.

13. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #93 JCho133, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    Sunburn

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=248734

I absolutely LOVE Sunburn. Definitely going on the game of the year list.

It's a blissful mix of melancholy and cheery tones, as the character names, dialogue, and level names are all consistently funny, despite the bleak events actually occurring.

Combine that with some wonderful wonderful pixels, a very unique central mechanic, and brilliant level design makes it one of the best puzzle games of the year.

Also, did I mention it's sci-fi?

Highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend this one. Hasn't gotten enough attention on these forums.