Universal Necronomicon Redux by Lucidsphere Media (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Oct 31, 2011.

1. gatizo

gatizo Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Picked this up recently and dropped in to specifically request the screen flip option. Glad to see you've beaten me to it and have it on your todo list :)

Other than that minor niggle, I like what I've seen so far. One other request - any chance of iCloud saves to continue a game between devices?

2. vklymenko

vklymenko Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Lead programmer/Producer
    Europe
  3. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Just played this on the ipad for the first time, and I discovered that the symbols on the die are actually Hebrew letters! Was that intentional, or was the artist Israeli and just took a picture of a die with Hebrew on it?

4. Fuzzyaardvark

Fuzzyaardvark Active Member

Dec 24, 2011
    UK
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the booster pack.

Basically, an opinion on if it is worth getting. There is very little information available on it.

Is it more monsters and investigators or just buffs/debuffs etc?

I am new to the card game genre. The only other one I have played is Dungeon Solitaire (love it). Is it the same in that if you buy it you can choose at the beginning of the game to use it or are you stuck with always using it? I would hate to buy it, not like it and then have to delete to get it back to the original game. I would lose my epic 3 wins out of I hate to think how many. This is the reason I have held off purchasing it, certainly not the cost.

Very last question. Are there any more games like these two?

Thanks all.

5. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Dungeon Solitaire is pretty much the same kind of games with a few different mechanics.

6. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Since I am a fan of H P Lovecraft and his Cthulhu mythos, this was an instant purchase after reading this thread.

I was incredibly impressed by the detail and ambience re: beautifully drawn cards and board, that capture the essence of the mythos, coupled with the eerie and unsettling whisperings as the game starts - a women's voice barely audible, panic-stricken, frightened; then creepily changes tone to one filled with longing and desire, "the flesh tastes so sweet" or words to that effect.

Others have mentioned the finer points to obtain a good score (mine is c173k). One horrid bug with iPad 2 iOS 5.1, is that casting any 'Summon' card with the Summoner freezes the game. Have to reboot iPad and lose progress in current game to unfreeze.

Cheers!

7. vklymenko

vklymenko Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Lead programmer/Producer
    Europe
    #67 vklymenko, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

hi, thanks : ) and yes, sry, its already fixed, will come in nearest time with the deck-building.

edit1: also auto-rotation feature added for landscape orientations.

edit2: could be so that stuck happens only when putting e.g. book on summoner very fast (like animation of book appearing still not yet finished, but card was drag-and-dropped onto summoner). So until the update please try to merge cards not instantly : ) sry for that, i'll submit the update as soon as will get deck builder tested.

8. AverageJoe

AverageJoe New Member

Aug 3, 2012
    (1) Has support for this game dried up? I just bought it from the App Store for iPad 2 and am loving it, but I notice that it still doesn't have auto-rotation, despite what is mentioned in this thread.

(2) I am either misunderstanding something or there is a bug with the "Insanity" card. It says that if you play it, it means death to the investigator and the opposite monster. Well, the only way that can work is if you play this card on the bottom row first, and then the investigator on top of it. If you do it the other way around, it will just kill the investigator. So I played the insanity card on an empty bottom row across from a very strong monster. Then I played an investigator on top of the insanity card. This investigator was weaker in both defense and sanity than the monster. All that happened was that the monster killed the investigator and remained on the board! That has got to be a bug. What is the point of the insanity card if it doesn't get rid of a monster? The battle happened first? If a battle resolves, there will only be one card left (the winner of the battle) so the insanity card is useless. Am I supposed to play the card on an investigator first? Then the next monster played will kill it? I don't get it.

(3) It needs to be made clear to people that you can roll a zero on the dice. You are using the standard RPG notation of "1d6" for example, to mean roll a 6-sided die. Well, a d6 has 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 on it, not 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I had a character on the field with 1d6 + 6 and I ended up will a 6 as my total. WTF? The minimum roll for 1d6 + 6 in any RPG in the world would be 7, with a min roll of 1 + 6 = 7. Then another time a monster actually got a 0 for its roll, and I realized that the game must be using funny dice. This is very non standard and not explained to the user at all, in the tutorial or anywhere else.

Yet, at the same time, I have seen a monster with a d12 roll a 12. So how can it also roll a 0? Are you using 1d12 to mean 0-12? That's thirteen!

Is this bugged, a deliberate design decision, or an oversight?

9. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    #69 Artfoundry, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
    For Gone Insane, your investigator either needs to win or tie in his stats - if both stats are lower than the monster's, Gone Insane will have no effect. And it doesn't matter whether the investigator is played first or Gone Insane is.

Don't know if the game is still being worked on - I hope so. It's a great game, and many of us have been wanting to see the board game aspect reintroduced.

10. AverageJoe

AverageJoe New Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Thank you for the info regarding gone insane, but then, why is the card even of any value?

If I win or tie against the monster, then it will be gone. No need to play the card at all.

What happens if the investigator loses the die roll in the battle? Will gone insane still remove the monster?

11. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Gone Insane is good for getting rid of a monster with a high die value and at least one high stat, which makes it difficult to kill otherwise. Whether there is a tie in the stats or the investigator wins in both stats, there is no die roll - both monster and investigator die immediately.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It just recently rolled out an update (auto-rotation and latest iOS support). It seemed like a slightly simplified Dungeon Solitaire but now since Dungeon Solitaire no longer exists (since Griptonite no longer exists) I guess it's its own thing. :)

13. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    I keep coming back to this game every so often. It just has such a great atmosphere and fantastic artwork. I hope someday the board game part of it makes it back in, but it's been so long now with no comments from the dev that I suspect that part has been abandoned.

14. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Hmm I picked this up recently as somehow it passed me by before now and I love card games and dice so it seems like a win, but I just played my first game and had no clue what I was doing:confused: all the cards I played just seemed to be minus stats and I lost pretty quick,
    Also is there something I'm missing as I just watched the appspy review and it looked like they were playing a board game?

Any tips appreciated, I'll play a few more games and see how it goes anyway as this is how I learned ascension :D

15. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    There use to be more to the game with different phases going between the boardgame and the cardgame. Then they streamlined the game and did away with the boardgame portion, now all that's left is the cardgame which is the best part of the game.

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah while the idea of mixing in a board game component was neat, it was really poorly implemented and the game is now much better without it.

The game is just about playing agents against beasties and then comparing the two stats. If either one of you are better in both stats the battle is resolved instantly by the guy with better stats but if only better in 1 stat or even ties with 1 of the stats, there's a roll off.

This being the case I find it is really only important to focus on 1 of the stats for each of your agents so as to avoid situations in which you're totally dominated. As long as you tie in at least 1 stat and have a decent weapon to give you a nice bonus in roll offs, you'll do great.

Once you get the hang of it you're likely to win almost every game (not every fight, but the majority of them).

Also remember you don't HAVE to play most of those enemy modifying cards (sure they'll grant you a bonus if you can beat them with it, but likely best avoided in your initial games).

17. Ivanhoe75

Ivanhoe75 New Member

Oct 7, 2015
    How to activate magic violet card?

How to activate magic card that seals gateway and ends game?