Instruments crashing

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by NickFalk, Jun 18, 2009.

1. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Running SDK 3.1.3 and whenever I try to run Instruments to check for leaks the apps crash. Anyone know why, and even more important, how to solve this?

2. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Well, you have an iPhone

3. NickFalk

Well, duh :rolleyes: (Yes I do see your point).

At the moment however I'm just finishing logic-stuff and it's a real nuisance to have to install the app over and over. But maybe this is the only way to do it at the moment as I can't seem to get it to work with the simulator.

4. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

I never found instruments to be particularly reliable in finding all memory bugs anyway, you obvously do? I have probably just been using it incorrectly :p

Does anyone here use that Clang Analyzer tool? I have found that to be quite brilliant! And it pinpoints the issues to specific parts of your code. Even shows the branches in your code that it took to reproduce the leak.

5. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Clang is far superior to the Leaks tool in Instruments.

6. NickFalk

Kind of hard for me to comment. If I didn't find them with Instruments I wouldn't know of their existence. ;)

7. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

True, true! I suggest you look into Clang and you'll probably find there are leaks that Instruments also doesn't know exist... and I promise you they'll be SO much easier to find and fix too :)

8. NickFalk

Thanks I will have a look. (Downloading now).

9. You must run Instruments using the base SDK version you are building for. For example, if you are targeting 2.2, then Instruments must be run with 2.2.

When you launch instruments from XCode, the base SDK version is lost somewhere along the invocation chain, so it always launches the latest SDK version. Just ignore the crash, go into the "Default Target" button on the Instruments toolbar, select "Launch Options" and change the simulator SDK version, then click Record to relaunch.