Outer Empires MMO - Coming to iPhone and PC

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by theone1007, Jun 4, 2009.

1. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    #1 theone1007, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009

OFFICIAL SITE
    ORIGINAL ARTICLE

INTERVIEW

2. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    #2 Fletch, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
    Well this sounds pretty darn epic :) Since it will be available on the internet, does that mean it will be free or no?

EDIT: POST NUMBER 666...heh heh

3. kirothak

kirothak Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I dont know why this isn't getting more posts this looks uber! the idevice market needs a real mmo! (no that watchmen garbage is not a real mmo) very much looking forward to this!

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yeah looks great, hype it up!

What I'd like to know is how the fighting works. Is is just a matter of whose ship has the best stats, roll some dice, win or lose? Or do you actually get to fly your ship during dogfights?

The info on their site is... ehm... a bit sparse.

5. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Hurrah ! I am so looking forward to this ! I started another thread requesting a proper space trader like Elite on the iphone.... This looks beyond my wildest dreams ! Anybody got any idea how long it is from release ?:D

6. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    I'm suprised that rarly anyone replied to this.. It looks like a really great game. Like Eve.. I'm guessing that this will sell a lot, because of the price, membership, and that it's for the iphone and the computer. So that means more players. What I would really like is to have guilds/clans. They do have fractions (2 sides), that helps for the pirates on each side to fight over each other. Is there also a friends list?

7. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    I'm also surprised to not see much activity in this thread. It looks excellent!

8. Paul Hutson

Paul Hutson Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Hello Everyone,

I'm sort of stepping into the firing line here - I'm Paul Hutson the Lead Developer for the Outer Empires team.

I've only just been told about this thread (by one of the new testers added to the game test group today - selected from the beta test signup on the website).

Anyway, to answer a few of your questions.

We're about a month from release now, we're aiming for the middle of July for both the iPhone and browser releases. Followed by some extra content patches a month later.

Combat is not quite dog fight like - First up you need to get a combat ship hull (say a frigate) and then equip it with things to make it work (thrusters for speed, life support, nav computer, jump engines) then you buy and equip weapons (there are different sized weapons that attack to different parts of the hull, different ships have different configerations - the frigate has 2 small, 2 medium and 2 large). Then you head out into space.. upon finding your target you lock on (clicking on the ship and selecting the lock on option) and the timer counts down (the time can be reduced with a targeting computer). Once you get the lock you click on the ship again and select which weapon you want to fire. Shields and armour make you last a bit longer (shields recharge) and the battles are often dependent on the amount of power a ship has (weapons use power to fire, so if you have too many hard hitting but power hungry weapons you might not be able to deal enough damage fast enough).

The first 15 levels of the game are free to play and you can continue logging in after that but won't be able to gain any more rank. The subscription amount thereafter is around 4-5$ per month (we're aiming to keep it as low as we possibly can). Once you've upgraded the subscription will work for both the iPhone and Browser versions when you log in.

If you have any more questions do post them up and I'll pop by and answer them again soon - or post them up on the forums!

Regards,
    Paul Hutson

9. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    I forgot this one...

... players can start up their own factions in game with other players - they get access to a group chat area, hanger space, their own in game forums, etc. :)

10. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Wow... so this is a full on MMO and not like those fake ones that are currently in the App Store. Sounds great!

11. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Finally! A real and totally good-looking MMO for the iDevice!! Can't wait.

12. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    Yes, as you say, a real MMO. Although KingdomGame was also a real MMO/Strategy game too, albeit text based.

13. dudez0r

dudez0r Well-Known Member

May 9, 2009
    No ipod touch ?

14. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009

It works fine on the iPod touch - obviously you need to have a wireless connection to play. :)

- On that note, we have tested OE over dialup on the iPhone as well, on the most part we've not had any problems playing at all!

15. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    This is the game I am most excited about out of everything ever. Can't wait for mid-june. I can't understand why this game is getting so little coverage.

16. xyber

xyber New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    gamedev
    South Africa
    ooh, this is looking really nice. waiting for release :D

17. medic619

medic619 New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I've been dieing for a real mmorpg and it's a sandbox type game too. Im tired of these mafia code games. We need some real mmorpgs in the roleplaying section.

18. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    That trailer is made for PC but I hope they don't scale down the app too much for iDevice version. The last MMO (Watchmen) sucked due to poor connectivity. Hope this one will be the first good MMO.

19. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    yeah this game would be amazing if they could pull it off. i had watchmen and it was fun, and couldve been pretty epic for the iphone, but the server lag and all the effed up stuff made it suckish. too bad too because it was fun. hopefully outer empires will workout :)