Which Genre Would You Like To See

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by itman, Sep 22, 2009.

1. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Hi.

I was thinking about making a reasonably simple game. Which genre would you prefer to see.

Tower Defense?
    Survival Shooter?
    Side Scrolling Shooter?
    Platformer?
    Adventure? ( Gameplay would be shorter as this would take much longer )

Please reply with your opinion and feedback.

2. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    If you don't have an original idea for a game, I would say that each of these categories has been played out. I won't buy a TD, Survival, side-scrolling, or platformer game right now if it doesn't blow me away.

3. RS200

RS200 Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Time Management!

... My GF would buy it for sure! ... anything like Farm Frenzy she will lap it up.

For me .. I think a nice puzzle adventure - anything like the old Dizzy games would be great and with swipe controls please :)

4. iPhoneUser

iPhoneUser Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Definitely TD!

I'm always up for a new TD :=).

5. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    turn-based strategy is under-developed on this platform.

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    "Survival shooters" (by which I take it you mean "multidirectional shooters") are released in droves on this platform nowadays. The competition is BRUTAL in this genre as you've really got to come up with a polished and deeper longer lasting game for it to be taken seriously. Minigore, for example, has the former but not the latter as compared to Alive 4-Ever, for instance, and, well...you see the backlash against Minigore nowadays. Backlash = bad word of mouth =bad press, which = murder on any sort of marketing effort you may have for your game. While "bad press is good press" is an old saying, the fact is that you'd have to spend a lot of time trying to overcome the bad press.

Similar deal with tower defense. There's a new one released almost every week now, old ones with many updates, and you'd have to get it right, well, right off the bat for it to find an audience with growing power.

Platformers...you'd have to pull off something special. There are few platformers on this platform, or rather few really good ones for very good reason. It's a very difficult genre to pull off well.

I think adventure games are under represented, but you'd have to pull of something VERY special, and as this is a very niche genre unless you have a really special game or a game with a known brand (ala Dexter, Monkey Island, or Myst), I don't think it would take off in terms of sales numbers. And it really is a time consuming genre to develop (I know because I'm on again, off again writing an adventure game I hope to perhaps develop for this platform).

Side scrolling shooters? Do you mean vert shmups (think R-Type) or side scrolling run 'n gun (think Contra or Metal Slug)? Not too many of these around either way, but with vert shmups it's because of the controls on iPhone/touch not being as "exact" as physical controls. So I'd actually stay away from that type of shooter. But side scrolling run 'n guns might actually do well. It may be a more niche genre on this paltform, but I think that is mainly to do with not a lot of entries into this genre on iPhone/touch. I think if you are able to pull off a Metal Slug or Contra esque side scrolling run 'n gun...you might very well find a nice large niche audience that would be very appreciate of the effort.

So, yeah...I vote for run 'n gun.

7. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Thank you

If I went thriugh with adventure I would approach gameloft or chillingo.

8. Fudgeboy

Fudgeboy Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    Yeah, id like a side scrolling shooter. I cant get enough of them :D

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm amazed you didn't make this a poll.

10. DrMonkey

DrMonkey Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    I haven't seem many simulation games like Animal Crossing yet...

11. Fudgeboy

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    Lol :p. itman, i think you should make a sidescrolling shooter, but concentrate on the art. Make really cool characters. Then people will buy the game just for thte characters

12. hawks12thman

hawks12thman Well-Known Member

13. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Even though its not listed up there, I would prefer a FPS but that would be relatively difficult.

From what you mentioned, I say go for side-scrolling shooter

14. NothingLikeSleep

NothingLikeSleep Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Stalker of the night
    The badlands
    Survival Horror

Like Silent Hill, Clocktower, Fatal Frame, Dead Space

That shit. But better than the ones already uploaded. The Silent Hill game for iPhone sucks and should be more like the gameplay in origins where you can wander the foggy town.

15. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Hmmm

What would you like a character on a side scrolling shooter to look like. Pls post back some ideas.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    THINK FOR YOURSELF! FOR ONCE!

I bet you wait for other people to join you at the side of the road so you can ask them if they think it's safe to cross.

17. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Haha

I was meaning as a special character I already have an idea.

18. Fudgeboy

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    Something likeable like the pirate from sway, or lizy. People buy Sway just for the characters

19. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    How bout a hybrid? Puzzle platformer like Donkey Kong feat Mario?
    Or a tower defense game where some of your special moves include zooming onto the fixed path until it becomes a side scroller where you can control characters/ vehicles and run up and down along the path killing enemies wherever you like.

20. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Thanks

that's a great idea. If I did a td game I would add a playable character as well as troops you deploy to help as reinforcements.