The Quest runs REALLY slow on my iPhone 4

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by macatron, Jun 25, 2010.

1. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I just finally got my iPhone 4 completely restored from a backup of my 3GS, so I started messing around with my favorite games to see how they look on the new retina screen. Come to find out, "The Quest" loads up just fine, but plays like it's running on a 486 computer. WTF?!? I did try restarting my phone just to see if it would make any difference but it didn't have any affect. I've also searched around on this forum as well as Google, and can't seem to find anyone else even posting about it. Hell, I would just delete it and try reinstalling it, but there is no way for me to keep my saved games other than jailbreaking (which I don't want to do). So, with that said, is anyone else having this same issue, or am I completely alone? Thanks!

2. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    I would just wait for an update from the developers, or contact them if it's really bugging you.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    PM'd Catacomber & Redshift.

No new iPhone for me (or iOS4... yet) so I can't confirm this.

You might want to try downloading the lite version and/or one of the expansions and play a new game to see if it's an issue with the save or the game engine in general...

4. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks! I wasn't entirely sure of how to contact them, so I really do appreciate it. Are they members of this forum, or did you contact them via their own website (if you don't mind me asking)?

That's a good idea about downloading the lite version. I'll have to give it a try and see what happens. I hope it has nothing to do with my saved game though because I really don't want to have to start all the way over.

As it seems, so far, this is the only game that is giving me any kind of trouble. I just thought that it was kinda weird because it should be running faster not slower due to the new iPhone's spec list. Hopefully it's something that a simple update can correct.

5. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Well, I just tried the "lite version" and it is doing the same thing. Although it still sucks on my end, at least I know it's not my saved game causing the issue. Hopefully Redshift can fix this here soon.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    They're members on this forum, and are active on the The Quest threads...

I'm sure if there's a problem, they will have a patch out quickly...

7. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    it must be the way it is handling the new screen resolution - it works fine on both my ipod touch 3g and iphone3gs on iOS4.

I am running The Quest Gold with Mithril Horde as well.

8. BTM4444

BTM4444 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Freshman In College. Studying Public Administratio
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have all of the quest games and it's running fine on my iPod touch 3G with IOS4

9. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Yeah, it still works just fine on my 3GS, but I can't figure out why it's not working well on a phone with better specs. :-(

10. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
  11. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Gee, thanks for the kick while I'm down.

12. bLiNdSiDe

bLiNdSiDe Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Firefighter (Sergeant) / EMT
    Covington, GA
    Probably the pixel doubling that happens when the iPhone4 renders lower res iPhone games. It's doing it on my iPhone 4 as well so it is not your phone.

13. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Yeah, I could definitely see that causing some problems, but its crazy because it only seems to be affecting this game. All of my other games are running and looking great, so I don't really know what's going on here. I just got done sending Redshift an email, so hopefully I'll being hearing something back from them here soon. Thanks again for posting up. I was really starting to wonder if I was the only one having this issue. Being that "The Quest" is so popular, I really figured that a whole bunch of people would have been posting up, as well, looking for a fix.

14. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    We are aware of the problem and we have already fixed it. It will be in the next update. :)

It's a bug in iOS 4. :mad: There is a serious slowdown when images are drawn scaled. The game renders into a 320x480 image, which is drawn on screen. Because any other iPhone or iPod Touch, beside the new one, have a 320x480 screen, there is no scaling involved, so there are no problems, even on devices updated to iOS 4. However the new iPhone 4 have a 640x960 screen, so the image must be scaled. That's why it's so slow. But fortunately the scaling can be made normal speed with some fiddling with the image drawing options. :) (It's rather strange that Apple haven't cought this bug, quite a few developers are upset...)

Anyway, the next update will be uploaded very soon. Apple takes around a week to approve updates, unfortunately, so you have to wait a bit.

15. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Well, I just heard back from Redshift (that was FAST) and they already have a patch submitted to Apple!! :-D Man, these guys are freakin' on point!!

Here's the email:

"Hi Jason,

We are aware of the problem and we have already fixed it. It will be in the next update. :)

It's a bug in iOS 4. There is a serious slowdown when images are drawn scaled. The game renders into a 320x480 image, which is drawn on screen. Because any other iPhone or iPod Touch, beside the new one, have a 320x480 screen, there is no scaling involved, so there are no problems, even on devices updated to iOS 4. However the new iPhone 4 have a 640x960 screen, so the image must be scaled. That's why it's so slow. But fortunately the scaling can be made normal speed with some fiddling with the image drawing options. :) (It's rather strange that Apple haven't cought this bug, quite a few developers are upset...)

Anyway, the next update will be uploaded very soon. Apple takes around a week to approve updates, unfortunately, so you have to wait a bit.

Elendil / Redshift"

16. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    My pleasure-na just kidding, just sooo jealous of you iPhone 4 users :eek:

17. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    No hard feelings then! :p Yeah, other than not being to play "The Quest" I'd say that I'm 150% happy with my iPhone 4!! :)

18. bLiNdSiDe

bLiNdSiDe Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Firefighter (Sergeant) / EMT
    Covington, GA
    Yeah, it's a pretty nice step up.

19. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    #19 Catacomber, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    Hi, if you are having any issues with iphone's latest update which is great in my opinion for many reasons, email [email protected].

And ask him about a post of his in my forum--that with version 4 you can save your save games if you are playing on ipad and in the next update to iphone you should be able to save your games with iphone as well. : )

Being able to save your save game and have it always there is a big plus in my opinion.

Thanks to drelbs for bringing this thread to my attention. : )