Gameloft responds to complaints of 'copycat' iPhone games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yeah, we went over this in our Gameloft press event post-game podcast. It pretty much comes down to their a multi-million dollar international corporation because they're making games people want to buy. You can try to extrapolate whatever you want out of that regarding their business or development ethics, but the fact remains, people are buying their games... And at a premium price.

2. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    And if people are consitently buying their games, is there a need to shill? I think not! Case close.

3. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Does the article mention why they make really lame poorly animated, terrible voice acted, storyless garbage? I also didn't see them mention why "modern" combat is played with seemingly vietnam era weaponry? Also have they determined when they might actually give the characters some.....well..character?

4. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I like their use of the word "synthesise." It sounds much nicer than "copy" or "rip off." They're not just "synthesizing" elements. They're taking entire concepts and changing only some elements. But I can't complain too much about them doing this. I own a few of their games, and I find most of them to be very enjoyable. I just wish a little more work went into the stories and voice acting. The voice acting in Blades of Fury is shockingly awful.

5. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    The games bring console experiences to the iPhone that the original developers would NOT be able to imitate themselves. Gameloft is the EA/Nintendo/Sony of teh iPhone, so for example Halo, I can bet that Bungie would not be able to do a better job of porting it to the iPhone than Gameloft would. Regardless of name change.

6. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Well said, very well said. I was pleasantly surprised by Real Tennis myself..and now i start to feel like im beating a dead horse since this is like the 35th time ive mentioned it.. :rolleyes:

7. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Ppppsssshhaahahahahahahaa.......ohhhh......just re-read your post, it's effing hilarious.

8. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    All I can say is support your local indie developer. No indies aren't immune to producing garbage nor copies, but we make the effort to bring something new to the platform.

9. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    buy flickitty

10. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    And here I was, thinking that EA was the EA of the iDevice.

11. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Somah.......I ****ing love you.

12. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    support the indies by opening up the market like it was before, bring down the biggies so we can see more indies! Btw indie fart apps are awesome!!!

13. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #14 S.I.D. CrAzY, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    They don't compare to Nintendo or Sony first party games in any way. EA maybe, but EA does some quality titles and well like was mentioned the EA of the iphone IS EA.

And you can bet all you want whether Bungie would do a better job or not(which I believe they would), but it'll never happen anyways because Microsoft would never allow it to happen.

14. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #15 Flickitty, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    No, that isn't what I am saying at all. In fact I explicitly said that indies are not immune to producing garbage.

Personally I think that a platformer like Tap-Fu is superior to Earthworm Jim in every way. Don't get me wrong- I enjoyed EJ back in the day. But now it just plays like a hacked together pile of shit on the iPhone.

Tap-Fu has smoother controls, smoother animation and better overall experience. If the developers of Tap-Fu had more support, it would be very likely that they could dump a lot more money into their next venture and produce a more hardcore gaming experience.

In the very least, Gameloft would attempt to copy Tap-Fu. Which wouldn't be a bad turn, IMHO.

15. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Exactly my point. We need these clones or we don't get the game in any way.

And I fail to see how on earth a developer who develops solely for one/two consoles can come onto the iPhone platform and develop a better game than a company who focuses the majority of their thousand member team on it.

16. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Bungie is a quality developer and I'm sure they could pull it off, but again it's useless to argue it since Halo would never come to the iPhone.

Neither you, nor I know for sure if Bungie would be able to do better than Gameloft. That's a fact.

17. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Ahem.....cod zombies. Easily better than any FPS on the platform....and guess what....low and behold it's their first iphone offering....wow!

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't see why we need these clones at all. The original games still exist. If all you own is an iPhone then you shouldn't care enough about games to need them anyway, if you DO care... you've got other platforms.

Let the iPhone do what it's best at, which basically boils down to the stuff from indie devs.

19. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Bungie could create a good game but judging by the available facts technically Gameloft would do better.

But we will never know. NOVA will be your only space shoot em' up and that's thanks to Gameloft.

Although Gameloft are underrated (but Castle of Magic is easily the worst game I have ever played EVER) indie devs do do far better jobs ie Truexis, Mr. Fung Fung.