Anyone using Heyzap

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by racingspider, Aug 10, 2011.

1. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

If you're using Heyzap, what do you think of it? I'm putting Game Center into my existing game now and was contacted by a guy from Heyzap to see if I was interested in putting it on.

I've played with it a little, but am unsure how users will feel about it.

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I'm interested in hearing feedback from people (if anyone) the service too. When they contacted us they were amazingly vague about what they actually do, so I've dismissed it for Pickpawcket. If there is some good to be had from Heyzap then we may include it in mystery game #3.

3. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Never heard of them..

4. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I spoke to a guy from Heyzap yesterday, and have looked at the SDK. One thing that particularly interested me is they have a Unity plugin included (I've asked a question about it apparently requiring armv6 + armv7, which would be a deal breaker for me).

It is basically Foursquare for apps, and seems a potentially good way to get some chatter about the game on Facebook and Twitter.

5. jogo

jogo Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    It looks interesting, I will think about including it with our next game.
    But I am wondering what is enough to reach critical mass for one game.

6. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Foursquare for apps? Isn't AppBoy attempting to do the same thing? Is checking into games the next wave?

7. anton1

anton1 Member

Apr 1, 2011
    @Sinecure, is AppBoy even alive? They haven't been active much in the last 7 months?

8. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Is using Heyzap good to replace the usual twitter facebook button ?

9. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

Well, you can hook the Heyzap check-in to twitter and facebook so it can nail them both if the user wishes. I've been testing the check-in stuff and automatically posting to Facebook (or not posting) seems to work pretty well.
    The check-in process seems a little long to me though - but that could be the network here or something. I'm new to the social aspect of it, so it might be completely tolerable.

10. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    You can "Check In' to games using Get Glue as well. In order for any of these things to help in promoting your game, they need to have a large established user base. Even something like Get Glue, which has been around a while now has just around a million users, and not all of those will probably play games.

Heyzap are claiming 4.6 million users (http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/28/heyzap-scores-4-6m-users-in-two-months-for-mobile-game-check-ins/), but as of April only 72 games supported it. They only seem to have 2,600 followers on Facebook, which is a tiny percentage of the 4.6 million. It's very difficult to know how effective this could be to your game without trying it.