UDID access coming to an end with iOS5?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Aug 24, 2011.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    http://venturebeat.com/2011/08/23/ios-5-udid-privacy/

2. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    TestFlight = solution for all devs for beta testing?

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Yep, agreed!

4. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I was glad when I read the article. I'm sure there will be a few things that we (the iDevice users) will find a bit more inconvenient, but I'm willing to guess that a huge majority of the UDID use is for advertising/marketing/profiling purposes.

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Testflight is very easy to use - but doesn't registering your device that way use your UDID? I thought it was just an easier way to register and give a list to the devs.

6. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I believe this is correct. In TestFlight, the apps still need to go through the same UDID signing process as manually giving a developer your UDID, as far as I know.

7. AN.momo

AN.momo Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Hope this'll be the end of tap joy. However I'm worrying about test flight, too. I'm pretty curious how this works out.

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Well you sign up as either a dev or tester, not sure if you can be both, I think you can tho. Then send devs your testflight email if it's closed and they'll send you invitation to beta test if you're picked to test it, sometimes it's public and dev sends link to place where you can apply, not sure if you get there automatically or not from public link cause I got in every time with the public link. Anyway then you receive email whenever new build is out, you click the link on your device and you will need to register your device which is basically installing a profile which you can see on General Setting, then you can install any build. Easy :)