A couple of questions from a noob

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by robertf224, Aug 6, 2009.

1. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    So I started with C++ I think three days ago. I've been doing a couple lessons a day in an ebook. A question for experienced developers, would it be hard for me to write in C after learning C++? I understand C++ is a superset of C, so the syntax is the same? Is C++ exactly the same as C, just with object oriented features? Do you have to write iphone apps in C? And what is objective C? Do I need to know that for app development?
    I'm not going to be doing any kind of app or game development for a while as I still don't even know the basics of game development, but I'd like to know I would be able to do it with the proper knowledge.

2. 5ku112

5ku112 Active Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Join this http://forums.toucharcade.com/group.php?groupid=69
    If you want to help with and/or have some support on makink and developing this is a great place to start.(although its a bit empty,but every little bit helps)

3. robertf224

Mar 28, 2009
    yeah I'll join thanks how did you know I was a teen though:)? But yeah I am I'm 15 years old

4. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
  5. robertf224

Mar 28, 2009
    So can someone answer the original question?:)

6. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    #6 WellSpentYouth, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
    You need to know some Obj-C for iPhone programming, but after that, you can use pure C (and maybe a few others). Once you learn a language, you will usually catch on to other languages pretty well.

7. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    1. To me C is easier. It's more basic, so some tings are more tedious to do in C, but it's a cleaner language. I think your best bet is to mix C/C++, and there isn't really a reason why you shouldn't even mix it with ObjC.

2. Sort of, it's like C++, but everything that seems badly designed with C++ you don't have with C. Worst part about C is strings, they are absolutely horrible. But like I said, mix with C++ and use STL where you see fit.

3. No not really. Some people write everything i ObjC, some add a little C/C++ to it. We use as little ObjC as possible and mostly C/C++.

4. Yes you do need some, but not that much if you don't want to. I think many aspiring developers find it easier with ObjC as you get many classes in Cocoa that can help you out.

Another tip:

Start small. Re-do the very first computer games, like Pong, Tetris, Space Invaders etc.

8. Emulgecheehem

Emulgecheehem Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Iceland
    Iceland
    A couple of questions from a noob

Even though I added sources, the apps that come from them dont show up. I added some manually and some through the installer, but no new apps are showing up. I tried reinstalling and hardbooting. What now?

9. PatrickS

PatrickS New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    C++ is an object oriented language, C is a procedural language.

However you can write procedural code in C++ and object oriented code in C. I am sure you can find plenty on the benefits of both on the web.

For IPhone you need to know some Obj-C.

If you know C++ and understand object oriented programming, you may not like C, however you can still write it.

Bottom line, don't get hung-up on languages, if you are going to be a programmer you will learn many of them, and after the first few, they will all be the same, some are just better suited to the job then others.

Anders gives good advice about starting by trying to code one of the classics. You can find may examples on the web, learn by example (both good and bad).

Hope this helps.
    -P

10. robertf224

Mar 28, 2009
    Thanks a lot for the responses guys i really appreciate it. And @patricks I know the difference between the languages, I was just wondering how similar they are in syntax.