Question to the Community #2 (Gameplay Research)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Lost Cipher, Dec 4, 2010.

?

Space Combat/Exploration Games you believe are the best in the genre. (Explain)

Poll closed Feb 2, 2011.
  1. Escape Velocity Series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Star Control

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Star Control 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. NAEV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Star Trek The Next Generation: Echoes from the Past

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Starflight Series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I do not like the genre

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Lost Cipher

Lost Cipher Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Hello Lost Cipher here;

For the past few weeks I have begun developing a Science Fiction universe to be used in concert with the development of a Multi-Platform Space Combat/Exploration RPG. Once Gameplay Design and Universe Development is completed, and Financing and a Development Team is secured production of the title would begin. Most likely: Late 2011/Early 2012.

It is my goal to present informative and insightful questions to both the development and gaming communities of the iOS platforms over the course of the next few months. I ask that you be respectful, inquisitive, and informative. Otherwise do not post and or troll. In stating that here is a link to the first proceeding question;

Question to the Community #1 (Unity Engine)

Now with that said, onto the second question; What in your opinion is the best style of gameplay you as the iOS gaming community would like to see in a future Space Combat/Exploration RPG? Combat Focus? Exploration Focus? Diplomacy? Customization? Long or Short gameplay? etc... etc...

Please explain in moderate detail.

p.s. If you haven't figured it out yet, too all potential competitors, other developers, or random internet people... please feel free to utilize any data or research gleaned from these community questions.

2. iPodTouchMan15

iPodTouchMan15 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Personally...

I think that the best type of game is open-world, with multiplayer, and unlimited gameplay. The best game on the app store that has anything like this is 'Galaxy on Fire 2'. You should play this game and see all of the elements it has. Really, the only thing it doesn't have is multiplayer, interaction with other ships online, like trading and fighting. But yeah, open-world is the best type of game, because it lasts for a long time, because there is so much to do. Also a 'Red Dead Redemption' type game would be awesome. You should play it on the PS3 or XBOX and base your game off of that, but in space I guess. But if this game has amazing graphics, multiplayer, and open-world, I would pay a lot of money for it. Can't wait!

3. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Would 4X turn-based games like Star Control sell good on the iphone? I'd like to know if there's a market for classic space 4X turn-based strategy gaming in the appstore. Is that Galaxy game turn-based ?

4. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I've never played any of the games mentioned in the poll, but I love Galaxy on Fire 1 and 2.