Galaxy on Fire...Strategy, Tips, etc....

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by yoman, Apr 6, 2009.

1. yoman

yoman Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2008
    #1 yoman, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
    I have recently purchased Galaxy on Fire and have searched for a central thread that contains helpful information regarding gameplay. Since I was unable to find one I started this one.

Please post any tips, or strategies you have learned throughout your travels in the universe.

Here are a few I have gleaned from other forums...

1. Don't play chicken when you have no shields

2. Leading( ie. shooting ahead of) the shots you fire at an opponent is essential to victory.

3. Diving straight down helps avoid a head to head most times.

4. A quick backwards loop (pulling up) usually is sufficient to get behind an enemy that is tailing you closely.

5. Adjusting the sensitivity of tilt control (usually increasing) helps improve accuracy

6. Most people suggest using the tilt controls over the touch controls.

and so on...

2. Mohawk

Mohawk Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    tilt to your left or right and use boost to stay away from line of sight..this was helpful on mission 13...

3. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    Buy a shield asap.

4. yoman

yoman Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2008
    The Thermo Nemesis weapon seems to be very useful for the mine clearing, attack convoy and space junk missions.

5. davegobe

davegobe Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Chemist
    Cleveland, OH
    Just finished Mission 13 yesterday and started playing the open world. I've noticed that when fighting some enemies you can shoot down their incoming missiles, etc. That's been helpful when attacking the larger ships. For example, you can keep targeting an area of the ship while (hopefully) shooting any incoming fire ;)

6. Mohawk

Mohawk Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    how do I purchase new ship?.I have enough credits but cannot see "buy new ship option in store".

I'm loading Autosave and proceeding with game play.My status level is 6 and still riding Icarus with shield..

7. yoman

yoman Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2008
    You need to first find a system/station that allows trade of ships, then jump back and forth from the system in order to refresh the items for sale at the shop. Try using two close systems to save money. Eventually you will find the ship available for purchase hope this helps.

8. yoman

yoman Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2008
    About Upgrades:

It appears that there are two types of upgrades for each shop item:

Green items are the weaker/cheaper ones.

Orange/red items are the more powerful/expensive ones.

9. Mohawk

Mohawk Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009

Thanks yoman...another question is whats the strategy on selling your current ship?.sell the weapons first and then ship to get back most of your credits (I know shield will transfer to new ship but not weapons)..?

10. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I'm still stuck on the early mission(8 i think) where you have to take out the gun turrets on the huge enemy cruiser. Does anyone have any tips for that mission?

11. Mohawk

Mohawk Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Stay away from huge cruiser ...other members of your troop will take care of them....go after any individual ship flying and running low on health and do not take them headon..

12. dashzed

Mar 2, 2009
    ok, so i should just bide my time and take out wounded fighters?

13. Dom Broadus

Dom Broadus Member

Apr 8, 2009
    My tips would be to:
    1) When you first see their targeting reticle turn red from far away(before you can see it's health bar), shoot towards it. Hopefully by the time it gets close enough for you to see it's health bar, it'll already be half dead.
    2) Buy these upgrades as soon as possible (in order of importance): Proton Sheild, Meteor, Onyx.
    3) Don't be too quick to buy a new ship. Stick with the Icarus until you have unlocked the full map, then save up 100,000 credits. Now find a planet/station to buy the Wraith. When you buy the Wraith, use the money you got from it automatically selling your old ship,cargo, and upgrades to purchase a new Onyx and Helios. From then on, it should be smooth sailing! Also note that the Wraith comes with a new Proton Sheild, so purchasing one will be unnecessary.

Good luck to all and hoped these tips helped!

14. King Juice

King Juice Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    yea. in any mission that includes a cargo ship that you have to destroy always destroy any individual ships first...it makes things alot easier. alternatively if youre reckless like me you can just destroy the cargo ship first and get lucky. p.s.get a shield!!

15. Mohawk

Mohawk Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    thts right!!

16. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    are there any problems with ipod touch 1g?

17. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    Leading shots is definitely helpful.

The moment an enemy appears as a little red indicator, fire off missiles and shoot at the dot with a laser or plasma or photon. Using this tactic, it is possible to destroy a fighter before it is close enough for you to even see the health indicator. Depends on your weaponry too; I'm currently using the Vossok plasma and missile, both are the most powerful of their kind. If you don't believe me, compare stats with other plasmas and missiles.

The Thermo is a short range weapon. This is because there seem to only be a limited number or particles onscreen at one time. The faster they hit something, the faster another one is fired. Therefore, the closer you are to something, the faster they'll hit it, and the faster another one will come out. They also have certain homing properties, so they're good for the Space Junk missions. They also inflict a lot of damage at close range.

If you fire a missile at a bad angle, it'll end up orbiting the target because of the minimum turning angle.

Use a boots to get behind ships and fire at them.

I actually don't think photons are very helpful, but that's just my opinion.

When you get to later stages, you shouldn't be very concerned about cargo space when choosing ships, because your profit margin from selling stuff will be rather negligible compared to the payout of missions in the Vilessek and Solecci quadrants.

Since you can't really use more than one weapon at a time, I suggest you go for maneuverability over weapon layouts. Eg. choose a Wraith over a Drakken. You do, however, get the best of both worlds with the Vossok ship.

Missiles give you a tremendous tactical advantage. Preferably choose a ship with a missile slot, unless there's really no combo that suits you. I survived with a Hawk for a while, and it wasn't too bad.

18. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    You shield is not sold when you change ship. No ship comes with a shield. It's just transferred from your old ship to your new one.

19. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    #19 Wegmans, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
    I'm so bad at this game :( i can't even get past the early missions... i keep getting destroyed by other ships, and my pew pew lasers don't seem to do any damage!

Such a great game though

The save feature gives me trouble sometimes, it seems like it deletes my progress easily.

20. dashzed

Mar 2, 2009
    I finally beat the starting missions, but I found mission six(the one with the convoy) to be hard as heck. On that one I found that all you have to do is concentrate on the fighters(unlike what the game prompts tell you to do), and let your teammates take care of the mothership.

I just found that you have to start firing straight at incoming enemies the second you see them, even before their health bar appears, and if they are slightly weak, then sometimes you can kill them before they reach firing range. Then the key is to stay on your enemies tail, if they get on yours, a quick upward loop will get you behind them, and remember also to lead your shots.

This game is hard, granted, but it is actually a skill-based game, and like other skill-based things, if you practice you will get better. Leading your shots is pretty hard, but once you get the feel for how far ahead you have to shoot, it will get easier. Especially if you have a rapid firing gun.