Universal N.O.V.A. 3 - Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 9, 2012.

1. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I was a bit disappointed when I read the update description - Minor bug fixes, but I can confirm that all effects are now present on the new iPad by default, with an option to run the game in high quality.

2. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    Nice, I was just going to bash Gameloft for waiting more than a month to fix a few bugs. Downloading, going to take a while though.

3. jipiyilu

jipiyilu Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    1.5 gigabyte downloading and 1 month waiting just for minor bug fixes? what a bummer.

Has anyone finished downloading and given it a try? does they offer the option to switch to ipad 2 resolution and effects?

4. jipiyilu

jipiyilu Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Thanks for the news, that's what I'm looking forward to

5. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Here is a screenshot from the new iPad, if anyone's interested. (reduced by 50%)

[​IMG]

6. Sekelani

Sekelani Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Pizza maker, crust
    Australia
    I'm stuck on the ice and fire level. Any help?

7. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Can someone tell me how the game's running after the update? I'd deleted it because of the bugs, but if it's running better I'll reinstall it.

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    You can definitely see the resolution has been dumbed down (jaggies) but I am updating the game as we speak and report back when I've played the first level for the the other iPad 3 owners.

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    After finishing the first level and switching back to Retina in the second level it's very evident that you sacrifice a very sharp image for a more fuzzier one. However, I rather play with all the effects as they add enough to justify the loss in high resolution fidelity.

For those hoping there would be a huge boost in frame rate: sorry.
    Sometimes it even seems worse in some scenes due to all the extra effects happening on screen all at once.

Experimenting between the two new graphic modes is quite nice though. Unlike most apps, you do not have to restart the game.
    Simply toggle and load up any mission you want.

So far, I am very happy with this update and didn't run into any glitches while playing the first mission.

10. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I've replayed a few missions and the game definitely has more atmosphere with the effects added on the new iPad. The environments felt a bit lifeless without them, and the drop in resolution doesn't bother me at all. It's a thumbs up from me.

11. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Agree!

12. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Great update. Game got so much better on my iPad 3. I really want to see what mad finger is gonna do with DT. I really hope they can pull off full retina plus effects. That engine is no joke and it works great with ios devices.

13. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    The update even compressed some files. Thanks a bunch, Gameloft.

14. regkilla

regkilla Well-Known Member

NOVA 3 yeah

15. Mhunt190

Mhunt190 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    USA
    Gameloft just needs sometime to figure out how to use the retina display and the visual effects, but I'm in no rush rather have lower resolution and more eye melting visual effects. NOVA 3 just got more satisfying!

16. N0NAME

N0NAME Active Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Did anybody notice multiplayer gameplay changes since the update?

17. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I held off playing past the second level until this update hit, so far I am enjoying the lower res but with more effects on my ipad 3, thank you gameloft.

It's a shame that apple made the ipad 3 like they did, some more cpu would have solved this problem.

18. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    I will never trade the retina graphics for some fancy effects. It looks amazing without them anyway, why did I bother buying a retina iPad if I don't plan to use the screen? If you guys are so fancy for effects, go ahead, I'll stick to high def textures.

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Actually the CPU isn't the problem. It's the gpu. CPU just calculates AI physics, and tells the gpu what and where to render stuff. The gpu is the grunt that actually does most of the work.

And yes I'm finding that I actually prefer retina graphics to extra effects. However, I think there a bug in this build: has anyone been able to load and play the last level without the app crashing?

20. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Some games out there are amazing in retina, it's just that games like nova 3 as great as they are push too hard, thus in those games I prefer to run it at a slightly lower res but have all the glory. I do the same with GoF2 HD also.

Reading the web and watching HD video is a league of it's own on ipad 3, which I do more then 50% of the time anyway so it's not wasted.