Minecraft, Terraria, or Junk Jack X

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Fangbone, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    #1 Fangbone, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
    So I'm not sure why but I'm thinking about getting either Minecraft, Terraria, or Junk Jack X. These are games that I would typically not play but for some reason I would like to try one. Wondering which is your favorite and why.

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    They are very different games in their own right.

Minecraft is the only 3D one and I'm not sure what the latest updates brought, but it used to be quite far behind its desktop counterpart. If your focus is primarily on building and creating structures from the materials you gather yourself, this would be the better.

Terraria is 2D and while it has been described in the past as 2D Minecraft, it couldn't be further from the truth. The only similarity is that you can build something in both games. Terraria has a much greater adventure focus - there are enemies in the world, there are events, bosses, there are NPCs that will come and join you in a home you build for them. You can create all manner of items and arguably, the crafting system is more expansive than Minecraft's. You are able to build and furnish entire houses with more detail than Minecraft, but in 2D. If you're after more than just building - adventure, exploration, zombie invasions, Terraria would be the better choice. It is a port of a desktop title and while I spent hundreds of hours with the original, I can't quite comment how well it translated to mobile. By the time it released, I was burnt out.

Junk Jack X is... in the middle. It was created specifically for mobile and it's 2D like Terraria. It does use a larger tile set than Terraria - which means that you have less pixel-perfect freedom to create whatever you wish, but overall it shares traits of both the other games. I played this early on in the game's lifespan and it had many updates since, so you may want to get someone else's opinion on this one.

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    To confuse you some more ill throw in craft the world.

Eden is also a minecraft ish game you could try.

4. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Decided to go with Craft the World ha! I love TD games so it seems more of my type of game. Thanks for your help guys!

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'm not one for these type of games either,and I'll say I love jjx. It took me a while to get it but once I did I was hooked. It's my most played game ever. There's regular updates with new content too.

Terraria is a close second, I've got ios, PC, android and Xbox versions so don't play on ios as much anymore as I prefer the PC one.

I play minecraft with my daughter, she has android, ios, Xbox and PC versions of this too and greatly prefers the PC version, followed by Xbox as the multiplayer experience is better.

It's kind of hard to rec one as they all have their good points, but if I could only have one I'd choose jjx as it's made for mobile and feels more complete as the console and PC versions of the other two are ahead update wise.

6. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    good choice! Craft The World is something new and fun. You should still grab Minecraft, Terraria and Junk Jack X all 3 are fun in their own way.

7. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    What about survival craft? Saw minecraft was updated recently. Has it caught up with Survivalcraft?

8. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I should have listed Survivalcraft too as I play it more than Minecraft.
    Survivalcraft I would highly recommend to anyone as it has customizable
    skins, textures etc And yes new Minecraft update made it so much better IMO
    also Terraria's last update was big time and made a huge difference I now play it
    even more than before.

9. kingmog

kingmog New Member

Jan 21, 2015
  10. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I absolutely love terraria.. I don't find the controls to be that much of a detriment.. Yeah sometimes jumping and mining certain blocks could be a task but I still love it