Monster Ball - 3d turn based strategy for iPhone, PC and Mac this fall

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Thomas Lund, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    IT consultant and game developer
    Sweden
    #1 Thomas Lund, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
    Hi all,

We are pleased to announce Monster Ball is close to completion! The game is a fantastic 3d turn based strategy game with a gameplay as simple as checkers but a complexity of chess.

The monsters that live under your bed and the ones in your closet dont like each other - and at night they fight in deadly combat. Large monsters eat smaller monsters and absorb their strength, making the bigger ball grow in size and power. But beware - gluttony will rupture the monster, so you need to watch out. Lots of special tiles and a good dose sarkastic humour makes this game a unique and fun experience.

The game features
    * iPhone, PC and Mac versions
    * single player vs AI, head to head with a friend sharing the same device as well as cross platform online games. Sit in the bus with the iPhone and play vs. someone at home on a PC
    * 10+ build in maps to play right away
    * free downloadable extra maps being released often
    * domination and capture the base game modes
    * achievements
    * sarcastic humour :)

For more info and signing up for our newsletter please go here: http://www.monsterball.net/

The game will be released this fall. Price TBD yet.

Promo video is also here, and any comments are very welcome!!

2. DOG87

DOG87 Well-Known Member

looks really cool and i cant wait for release

3. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I wasn't totally sure what was happening in the video, but the concept and graphics look really fun.

4. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    well? any updates?

5. blikstad

blikstad Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Freelance artist and game developer.
    Uppsala, Sweden
    haha, great timing!
    We actually just submitted Monster Ball 1.0 to apple a few hours ago. So, it's in their hands now, hopefully (given no review-snags) it should be up on the AppStore in a week or so.

We're also going to release the game for windows and osx quite soon, look out for an announcement about that shortly.

[​IMG]

6. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    wow looks awesome, can't wait to download!

7. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    It looks very good! What will be the price for the iPhone and the mac?

8. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    cool, looking forward to its release

9. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    Sorry - missed that question.

We plan to have a launch sale at $0.99 and then the normal price will be $3.99 for the iPhone.

The PC/Mac version will be priced in the $12-15 range (the distribution platforms will decide the price in the end, but thats the indication we gave them).

We have been trying to find some way to bundle it, but its really hard to do with Apple on one side as a closed ecosystem and the digital distribution platforms on the other. Any ideas on how one could make a good bundle would be cool!

/Thomas

10. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    What are the limits for the number of promo codes you can give out? Maybe once someone registers via email, you can just shoot them back a promo code so they can DL the app at their leisure.

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I'm pretty sure they're gonna want more than 50 people getting the game per update :rolleyes:

12. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    Yeah - its not more than 50 per game build update. So a no go on that one (+ one needs some of the promo codes for reviews).

Other than that I could think of generating some kind of one time registration on the phone to get a discount on the Mac/PC game. But that required the distributor of the Mac/PC game to think thats a cool idea (him getting less money) and his system has to support it too technically to have a gazillion (hopefully) unique rebate coupon codes floating out there.

Not easy.

/T

13. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    Final PC/Mac price ends up at $9.95 for launch on Direct2Drive. Availability end of month (around the 27th +- a few days).

Will be great to see the game out in player hands! And shoot feedback the other way please, so we can improve the levels + the game with good updates.

The levels themselves are DLC (free), and we will add new levels ongoing forward. Crappy rated maps will slowly be filtered away based on the ingame rating you submit after playing.

/Thomas

14. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Sorry, I missed your answer. €0,79 for this game will be an instant buy for me. Much to cheap. €2,99 is more like I expected.

I think you can bundle your game by making the app free. The first time the game is opened the user creates an account. The user than has the option to purchase the game using an in-app purchase. If that is done you send an email to the user with the option to buy the Mac/Pc game on the website with a discount. The same is done on the site when you buy the Mac/Pc version.

I hope you understand the things I've written above. :D

15. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    Monster Ball is live!!!

Launch sale of the promised $1 - will go up to $4 once launch is over - so get it while its hot.

(And yes - we think $1 is too cheap too, but we invite you to take advantage of us and maybe give it a great review for our kindness - hehe )

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=335569823&mt=8

Give it a go and thanks for your support!!!!!

/Thomas

16. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    Oh - and Frog - it makes perfect sense. I cant think of any other way really than accounts to link these things together. Obviously now too late to implement for v 1.0, but we will figure out something :)

17. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Finally! just purchased, playing now :D

18. Mudkipz223

Mudkipz223 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlantis
    Can we get a quick review on the game? I'm on the border about getting this or not.

19. Tarzerix

Tarzerix Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Art Director/ Gamedesigner
    Wow...nice graphics and sweet soundtrack...reminds me a bit of the good old N64 Rare games :)
    cant wait to get my hands on this

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hey Thomas,

How are the game's difficulty levels differentiated? Is it that the Hard AI actually factors in more variables before making its moves or is it as simple as the game giving the Hard AI larger AI an extra piece?

Is there ever a map with multiple ghosts that actually ATTACK the two players' pieces (no longer neutral but ANGRY)? It might randomly flit about going after the closest piece at that moment (or random if tied).