Universal Machinarium - (by Amanita Design)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mashead2000, Sep 7, 2011.

1. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    I think there's a flash demo on their website if you're interested. Amazing game and worth every penny.

2. glowAndy

glowAndy Well-Known Member

As a game dev for the iphone - I can tell you first hand that even the iPad 2 could not come close to playing a game this complex with the flash air packager.

But you should also know this game was released in the mac app store. It's much more likely that the iPad version is a port of the mac version - and since there's no "flash air packager" for the mac app store, you can assume its definitely not a flash version of the game.

3. Jengelander

Jengelander Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Out in NL AppStore!

8AM and I am currently downloading this game from the Dutch AppStore, location around Amsterdam :) Should be out in Europe!

4. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Okay I don't know if it's just me, but I think my game is stuck. I'm at a part where there is a dog and some oil. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't get one of the things to work, I totally do NOT want to restart! :(

5. Fe1

Fe1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    I'm buying Machinarium on the TA buzz alone (also, have an iPad2 and I'm a sucker for having stuff only a few can have :D).

This won't go on sale, like, 3 hours later, will it, Mr/Mrs Developer? :eek:

6. Jengelander

Jengelander Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Just restarted because I am stuck in the boiler room, dont want to use the book! Great game, it pulls you immediatly into the world and story! Want to continue to know what's going on with the robot. Unfortunatly I cannot help you because i am stuck too!

7. Team Rocket

Team Rocket Member

Aug 26, 2011
    PC?

I think I played this on the PC a while back? I think it was a touch hard and you had to think to get through the levels!
    The visuals are way cool. I'll give it a try on the iPad:D

8. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    #28 Barcâ, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
    You are one funny can of pickles sir.

The iPad 2 specs have already been posted in this thread. No need for me to reiterate it...again.

It's quite likely (and when I say quite likely, I mean it does) that the game requires much more RAM and CPU power to run, that is why it will only run on the latest device. Makes perfect sense, and it is possible that legacy device owners (i.e. Not iPad 2 owners, I used legacy for simplicity sakes) will see an update that allows this game to run on their devices. Until then you are going to have to wait. It's not the end of the world you know.

9. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
  10. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

This game is awesome!!!!!!! Anyone with an iPad 2 should get it! Best game on my device! :)

11. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Cool, been looking forward to this one ever since I saw the video of it posted ages ago, will definitely be downloading this the second I get home.

12. mashead2000

Lol stuck on same part going to use the hint book again lol

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Nice game with one serious flaw: controls. And by controls I mean: tapping. It may have been very well to expect the player to pick out fine details from the scenery with a mouse pointer, but introduce fat fingers and a touch screen, and do nothing, apparently, to compensate, and you have a problem.

My personal experience with this game thus far has therefore been consistently punctuated with frustration, much as I am enjoying the actual game.

14. mashead2000

What thing?have you got the gun and plunger yet?

15. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    The game can be mind-bending, but you should never, ever restart your game.

16. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    It's a point and click adventure though...a perfect fit for touch controls. I'm having zero problems so far.

17. Nightshift Nurse

Nightshift Nurse Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    I have to agree with those complaining about the touch control. It's far less accurate in Machinarium than in either the 1112 or Broken Sword titles (and even those have their minor issues).

I hope this can get sorted in an update, because as much as I'm enjoying the game, it's frustrating to be repeatedly poking an area with zero response to show for it.

18. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    FYI, I had a problem in there and got stuck as well. However, I saved in that room then loaded the save and I think part of the puzzle had reset. At any rate I was able to continue.

19. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    The only real frustration I've had as far as touch controls would be when trying to change height while next to an object. This can be really frustrating. It was making me nuts in the boiler room, compounded by the fact that my initial attempt at the puzzle in there did not work and I ended up trying everything I could think of because I got stuck.

20. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    I think the touch control complaint is more that it's not always apparent what objects are interactive, simply because the world is so packed with detail and animation. In the PC version the mouse cursor would turn into a hand when you hovered over an interactive object, in the iPad version there is no cursor to move around, so you just have to tap on things until you find something that you can interact with.

On a slightly related note, the statement that there is no cursor is slightly untrue - when you tap things a mouse cursor in the shape of a hand with a finger extended (the generic "click on a link" cursor" appears underneath your finger. I'm actually finding this somewhat distracting and I hope it gets removed in an update, as it's not actually helpful, just weird.