Connected - Promo codes for feedback

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by made-up software, Oct 7, 2009.

1. #1 made-up software, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    Hi,

It's been a few months since I released my puzzle game Connected and I was wondering where to take it next.

I'd be really grateful for feedback from Touch Arcade members and have promo codes for anyone who'd like to take a look and let me know what they think.

I'm interested in first impressions as well so if you'd like a promo code, please take a look at Connected on the App Store and add a comment with your first impressions..

... Would you click the "Buy" button? If not what puts you off? ...

App Store Link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=318523038&mt=8

Then if you'd like a promo code let me know and I'll send one over so you can take a closer look.

Thanks very much for your feedback.

2. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I bought this connect-the-pipe game a while ago. It's not a bad game or anything but it's tough to compete with all the other pipe games in the store.

3. Thanks freedog, did you manage to complete it? how did you find the difficultly level? Any ideas to take it from 'not bad' to 'great'?

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I think you have a nice friendly app store description, however you need to change all the "stars" to something that displays correctly, either "*****" or "(5 stars) so there aren't all those boxes with the reviews.

The only thing I could think of would be to rewrite the nature of the description to something more serious, but I think how it is written fits the style/theme of the game.

If given a code, I would be happy to review it! :)

5. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    It needs more sound/music to go with it.

6. Thanks, I didn't know those stars didn't show up properly, I'll definitely fix that. I'll pm you a promo code now.

7. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Looks like a good game, I'd buy it for sure. I'm probally going to do like that soon. :)

8. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I don't own your game, but I'll share my initial impressions from looking at it in the app store.

I think one of the problems is that the colors look kind of drab. The textured brown color of the unrevealed tiles is not very appealing to look at. It reminds me of the fiberboard used in the construction of cheap furniture (like my computer desk!) Maybe a different background would be more visually appealing.

The same with the icon. In comparison, check out the icon for a similar game, [app]iPlumber[/app] It is appealing to look at (although the screenshots for the game itself are a bit too colorful!)

The reviews for your game are pretty good, so it could be that your game is just not eyecatching enough to set it apart from the others. I also noticed that your game did not come up when I used the search terms "connect pipes" but iPlumber did. So maybe that's another thing to consider.

Anyway, I'd be willing to write a review in the app store if you decide to send me a promo code. Hope my initial impressions help...

9. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I don't see any boxes with the reviews. It's displayed correctly on my screen...I see five stars.
    Just FYI.

10. Thanks for your first impressions, useful comments.. I did the graphics myself, but I was wondering if I should seek out some professional help to improve them. I'll pm you a code now so you can let me know what you think of the game itself.

11. intake66

intake66 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Napa, California
    #11 intake66, Oct 7, 2009
    The pipe game itself at just a glance looks pretty straight forward but fun. I think what seems to drive interest these days is an online achievement aspect to the game. I have not tried the game personally but games that are more straight forward puzzle games such as this tend to need something extra to hook people.

Maybe in your description tell people how many puzzles are included with the game. This shows the value of what you are paying for. Am i buying a game with 50, 100, or a thousand puzzles. If I saw something like 100 playable puzzles and more to come, for .99 I would think that is a pretty good bargain. *Edited- I missed that you do actually tell us there are 40 puzzles. Sorry bout that :)

I would also suggest a screen shot of the menu, show people some other features about the app. If there are no ads boast about a non ad aspect of the game. Do you have the ability to upload scores online? If so a screen shot of that might help as well.

Just my 2 cents. :) If you need any other feedback just holla!

12. chemist20

chemist20 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Feedback for promo code

This may not be something that could be changed without an update, but it would be nice if in the app and the pictures the pipes that are going to be connected are a different color. Also It should be more obvious how many levels there are. I had to read through the description to find it in the middle, would be better at the beginning.
    something like "Get ready for 40 challenging puzzles with hours of play..."

13. Thanks, There are actually 40 puzzles at the moment which might take about 5 or more hours to complete. I was thinking more puzzles would be good as 40 doesn't sound like much. As for the other bits, menus, online scores etc there aren't any! Again thinking about adding those.. would you say it's expected these days.. Not sure about the best way to do scores as there aren't any timers or move counters etc, perhaps just which levels are completed?

Anyway pm me if you'd like a promo code to try it out..

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

14. I was a bit worried that 40 isn't enough and puts people off (even though they represent lots of hours of play) so didn't shout about it. But really it should be more prominent whatever the number as it's a key bit of info. I will change that.

pm me if you'd like (can use) a promo.

15. intake66

intake66 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Napa, California
    #15 intake66, Oct 7, 2009
    I think .99 cents for 40 puzzles and 5 hours of game play as you mentioned is worth it. But that will be a selling point to people.

I would say just the fact that you are willing to hear advice and make changes based on feedback is a great start for expanding your developer reputation. :)

By the way Pm sent :)

16. I've had that comment a few times, so yes, I think it needs addressing. I'm not sure what kind of music would fit a game like this!! Suggestions welcome. But my brother is a professional musician so I don't really have an excuse for not adding some!