Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #1021 chris1a, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
    Bought iMPC, Samplr, Orphion and Gestrument last night.

iMPC doesn't have any way of editing samples already in your sample library. No slicing or anything. So at this point it's kinda what iMaschine should have been long ago with audio copy/paste and so on. For the money you get quite a big good sounding sample set, so if you want another drummachine/sample trigger its all good. Anything more and you should wait for some updates. One more thing is that it unlocks a copy of the same device inside Tabletop, so if you got Tabletop (basic package is free) it opens up a few more possibilities, but it's like having duplicates of the same iMPC app taking up another 500mb or so (tabletop went from 300 to 800mb in the latest update), so I hope they find another way to bring apps together in with tabletop.

Samplr is just awesome. So many ways to manipulate samples, making any sample into playable piano keys with pitch and all is just one of the things. Sure you've seen all the videos of it now tho so you know it's one of those must haves. FUN stuff.

Gestrument I need to try out more but it seems like a wicked midi controller, like a combination between generative music making and more controlled stuff with extensive settings for how you want to play your scales and a lot more. Or you can use it as a sampler/rompler with the internal sound font support or the (good) sounds it comes with. Oh and it's already Audiobus ready.

Orphion again need more time with it. Can be a really expressive controller or instrument with how the pads react to different inputs. IE they're velocity sensitive, the more space of your finger that hits the pad the higher the velocity. As opposed to Apples GarageBand that uses the accelerometer to determine vel, which never works that well anyway. This one also Audiobus ready.

2. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    and now comes Cubasis !

- will be interested to see some reviews, because its an impressive price at least

3. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #1023 chris1a, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    Definitely looks like Auria got some competition. Cubase is my main DAW on the PC and Auria on the iPad so gonna have to check it out later on after some reviews etc. If they keep adding effects (3rd party like Auria) and instruments IAP ala Auria and fully support iOS "standards" like Audiobus, ACP etc it's gonna be hard to beat I'm guessing.

4. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Btw, all Amidio apps are free at the moment. Just search "Amidio" if you want some ukuleles or dope Enya sounds in your sound arsenal...

5. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Strike all that. Apparently all the effects are really basic (IE EQ is just a treble and bas slider). It looks more like a higher priced FL Studio/Music Studio alternative then something coming anywhere near Auria.

6. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    (Reported on iOS Musician:)

NanoStudio Eden patches and TRG banks for free here.

Also nano, "Nanoloop" has dropped in price to just one buck for the first time in over two and a half years (from $2.99).

7. fumbles

fumbles Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Oh wow. Korg have delivered big time!

Background audio, virtual MIDI and Audiobus support added to iMS-20, iPolysix and iElectribe!!

iMS-20 and iElectribe have also been retina-ed.

8. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Dnt forget ikaossilator. That one also got widescreen treatment. The Gorillaz got Audiobus too, but that app is useless..

I'd like to see Sampletank next, but IK Multimedia aren't known to work fast on these kinds of things. They probably don't have the skillz to implement it anyways, even tho it's a 40 minute job.

9. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Sorry. NOT the US version.

TNR-i
    by Yamaha Corporation

TENORI-ON simulator with Game Center ;-) All time best price 8.99 Euro (was 17.99) for the first time and until end of the year. Link to Austrian App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/at/app/tnr-i/id406297563?mt=8

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Not sure how useful this is, but it's free! :eek:

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

11. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
  12. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    should i get sir sampleton?

it is a great app, it seems, for making but..

i already own..

too many music making apps,

so they say "better have few big apps that help you fight to make music --- then a lot of small apps for making music that fight you".

do i really need it?

13. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    I've looked at both koushion and sir sampleton and asked me the same question. Sampleton seems to be a really basic sampler, but with what looks like a really good and fun interface. It doesn't do anything I can't do in any other sample-able app tho, with or without Audiobus. So I don't REALLY need it, but it sure looks fun lol..

Koushion looks like a really good step based sequencer, great interface and all which makes me wanna get it. But I don't need it, I already have step based virtual midi apps and Genome sequencer. Or any midi able app for that matter.

They look like really fun toys, but I probably would just waste another 8-9 bucks if I got em...hmmMMMMMMMM...

14. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Thank you. That is very close to my train of thought. Just more expensive toys and nothing that really adds to my creativity . I'll just stick to my guns .. The ones I have installed at the moment

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Sir Sampleton is a blast if you just want to goof around - my daughter and her friends love it.

Plus, it's got support for SynthStation25.

16. Habakuk

Just wanted to tell that his awesomeness Animoog got Audiobus support. As well as almost all Korg apps incl. iPolysix, iELECTRIBE, iKaossilator and iMS-20 (updated along with Virtual MIDI, BG Audio, iCloud, and support for iPhone 5 and Retina screens)!

My posting about Audiobus previously in this thread:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2583013&postcount=1016

What a really great addition to the already outstanding sound producing features of our beloved devices. iPad 4 runs GREAT with Audiobus, one of the biggest new iOS features in 2012 (except Apple Maps of course ;)). Now if we only had more storage space. If you make lots of video and sound recordings you'll have to connect to USB/iTunes OFTEN.

All Korg apps on sale btw (all-time best prices, they never were cheaper).

17. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Yea Audiobus is great. I love how they've integrated it, making it look like a built in system wide iOS feature with that sliding menu ala the notification menu. Makes me wish it actually was, I've used lots of apps that I seriously looked for that sliding menu so I could record some audio cos Audiobus is so seamless with the apps that have implemented Audiobus. I hope Apple pays these guys mucho cash and makes Audiobus a system wide feature in iOS 7.

18. Habakuk

All of that is pretty unbelievable, chris1a. Look and LISTEN what they did with Animoog, even more awesome than before. That's what I call an update (only for iPad version for the time being; I am pretty sure that iPhone version will follow):

http://www.moogmusic.com/news/announcing-animoog-v2-ipad-powerful-4-track-recorder

Animoog for iPad
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id471638724

Price activity @ AppShopper.com:
    http://appshopper.com/music/animoog

Animoog for iPhone
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id490169960

AppShopper.com:
    http://appshopper.com/music/animoog-for-iphone
    (I got them both for $.99 each before but I am not sure if such a sale will happen ever again…)

Lots of people are buying now Audiobus for Animoog alone. The new and free (for a limited time) 4-track-recorder in Animoog is great!

Some more seasonal iOS music producing awesomeness. DigiEnsemble Berlin - Bach’s Christmas Oratorio:

Eigenharp Alpha Jamming on Animoog:

Some cool I/O equipment (1,000 Euros btw.)—Fireface works with iPads/CCK (will be showed in video):

24bit/192kHz ADC/DAC • 2x Mic/Line Combo In (XLR/6.35mm) • 2x Inst In (6.35mm) • 4x Line In (6.35mm) • 6x Line Out (2x XLR/6x 6.35mm) • 1x Stereo Line/Kopfhörer Out (6.35mm) • 1x ADAT I/O (optical) • 1x S/PDIF I/O • WordClock I/O (BNC) • Remote In • 2x MIDI I/O • 1x FX DSP • FireWire 400 Port • USB 2.0 Port

19. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Thanks for the Moog Animoog demo video. I actually picked up a thing or two from that. Plus, it's very inspirational watching it. The dude in the video uploaded that track to soundcloud if anyone likes what they're hearing!

20. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    omg, i want that same update for the iPhone version! :mad: