Why are some games with virtual dpads set to the wrong side of the screen? Argh!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Slothy, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Slothy

Slothy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    I like to play with headphones on and most games designers know other people like to as well and set the game orientation as to where the phone Jack is out of the way. But two games I love to play have the screen position flipped with the headphone Jack right where I put my hand to use the virtual dpad. Worst of all the games offer no screen change option. why do this? It makes me....not happy.

2. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    maybe the dev was left-handed. but anyway it's not the wrong side. other people may prefer the d-pad on the right side. it's really a matter of preference.

3. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    I think he means that they have the screen oriented so that the bottom of the screen is the right side when held vertical, so that the home button is on the left, whereas most games tend to have you hold the device with the home button on the right.

The thing is, while iPod Touches have the headphone jack on the bottom, iPhones have the headphone jack on the top. Likely the developer of the game used an iPhone and programmed it with that in mind. Many games include a "flip screen" setting, though I really wish it was universal.

4. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    oh ok i see

5. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I've got to comment that although I understand the op's dilemma still want to say that being left handed can be a problem using controls on some of these games and like to see reverse control options implemented in more games if can. iPhone/Touch games have come along way within 2 years and most are ok to play but a few are definitely geared for right handed people. Can't bring to mind any (just woke up......gotta make my coffee yet) just now but have a few on my device. I know, I know....some lefty's will say it doesn't matter but we've been doing ambidextrous moves since born and I've found to do things right- handed w/o thinking too much of it myself but STILL it would be more comfortable using left handed controls. Think I'm just not aware till I do it left-handed, if can. Sorry if off topic some but still thought to mention it.

6. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Yep. Lefty here too, and I hate having to use the d pad on the left.