Resident Evil vs. Silent Hill

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Somerandomdude, Dec 13, 2009.

?

Resident Evil or Silent Hill?

1. Resident Evil

66.7%
  2. Silent Hill

8.3%
  3. I really don't care

25.0%
  1. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Well, it's always been these two as the primary source of quality horror gaming. I was looking around to play an old game I had when I pulled out Resident Evil 2 today, then I started looking at that and then some Silent Hill stuff. Well, to make a long story short, I wondered what more people prefer, Resident Evil or Silent Hill. I'm not talking about the iPhone games because if so there's just no comparison. Strictly console games.

Oh yeah, my vote goes for Resident Evil. I've always liked zombies over an assortment of other weird creatures, although I do enjoy Silent Hill quite a bit.

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    What about RE vs Silent Hill movies? :p

3. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Sure, why not. I started watching Apocalypse once and it was pretty cool... although it was nothing like the games excluding the fact that it was Raccoon City and the T-Virus.

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I find Silent Hill scarier and generally more f***ed up.
    But I prefer Resident Evil.

5. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    I'm going to have to agree with that. The overall gameplay of Resident Evil has always just appealed more to me. The only one that really compared in how scary and atmospheric it was was Code Veronica X. The prison level... just holy crap that is one of the scariest places in gaming ever. That whole game is just creepier than any other RE game, but 2 comes in pretty close. I almost fell out of my chair when the hands busted through the window... holy crap. Plus the ways they scare you are completely different. Silent Hill is more atmospheric and tension, while Resident Evil has a creepy tone to it and has zombies everywhere, but gets you more when you aren't expecting it. Again, I bring up the example of the hands busting through the window. Veronica X again was scary and the tension of the prison area had me on edge to the point where everything made me jump.

6. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Resident Evil 4 > All the SH games combined

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Now, that's better. ;)

Silent Hill II is probably the closest a videogame from a major publisher has gotten to art. It's a game for grown ups in every sense of the word; by comparison, all Resident Evil games are fun carnival rides.

8. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Lol, how'd I know you were going to say that... And actually, I can think of a game closer to art than this and it's called METAL GEAR SOLID!!!! But yeah, on topic, that game is SCARY! I've only seen gameplay and it seems like it'd be one of the creepiest games of all time. Up there with the likes of Clock Tower and Veronica X.

9. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Where did you get that idea?
    Those two are very high quality, but doesn't mean nothing else is good. :rolleyes:
    One example would be the Zero series; there are probably a lot more quality horror games.

10. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    We need a MGS thread.
    I was trying to get my hands on a copy of MGS 3: Subsistence, but I found out that is pretty rare now and costs like £100 :eek:

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It's definitely creepy, but it's really the story that makes it special. Most horror stories in videogames are about things that are done to you -- monsters attack you, zombies are after you, etc. The horror in Silent Hill II comes from something far deeper and personal.

My best friend is a semi-famous horror writer, so I know the genre pretty well. SH II is the only videogame I would deign to compare with the best work of Neil Gaiman or Clive Barker.

This is all a matter of opinion, of course.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Actually, I can imagine that there's a ton of Asian horror games that don't make it to the US (or if it does, it doesn't make it big).

13. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Fatal Frame made it to other countries I'm sure.
    Zero = Fatal Frame btw.

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Does this count as an 'Asian horror game'? ;)

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Rapelay

15. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    clock tower 1 > silent hill 1 > resident evil 2 > whatevs

to be more on topic, silent hill 1 trumps any other resident evil game, but the canon resident evil games have stayed way superior in quality than silent hill's ridiculous downhill slope into shit. the latest silent hill, a despicable remake of my favorite, is the ultimate slap in the face.

16. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

17. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Oh yeah... I forgot about Fatal Frame... It seems just insanely scary but it always just to me seems like the two big ones it comes down to are RE and SH... which are both awesome.

And yes, it's time for the MGS fans to unite... Time for a Metal Gear thread.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I agree about the downward slope of Silent Hill, though in my view it started after SH 2. I've actually haven't really played SH1 -- downloaded it as a PS1 classic for my PSP, but I found the interface pretty much unplayable. Will have to check out Clock Tower 1 and Fatal Frame. Thanks Aurora and nodoctors for the heads up.

19. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Oh by Clock Tower 1 I hope they mean the SNES one. It was much scarier than the PSX version as far as I can tell, and I've seen/played both quite a bit. Both really scary, but the SNES one takes the cake.

Gotta give Fatal Frame a run one day. It seems like such a good game, I've just never gotten around to playing it. I'll see if one of my friends has it or something.

20. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I used to be a big fan of the original Resident Evil games, but lately it seems to have shifted direction toward an action game instead of a survival horror game. Take off the name and nobody would have the slightest clue that RE5 is a Resident Evil game.