Coldfire Keep: First-Person RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by geppetto, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Old-school RPGs like "Dungeon Master" are:

1. Awesome, I can't get enough of them!

167 vote(s)
    61.6%
  2. Alright, I can take them or leave them.

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. Dead, modern RPGs are far better.

37 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Who cares; all RPGs suck.

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. stevejarman

stevejarman Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Don't worry about the buttons - you'll be able to find them if you look for them. Trust me :)

Also, if you have a Rogue in your party, they have a chance of detecting moveable walls so sometimes you'll know there's a button somewhere in the area.

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Sorry, just saw this. Not sure it's simple to put a finger on exactly what makes an environment feel natural and believable as opposed to contrived. I think resisting the urge to symmetrise is a part of it. Adding detail is another. I also noticed the environment looking very "clean" throughout, as if a team of housekeepers just finished their job.

On a deeper level, I think what really helps is having some sort of background story or lore behind your creation. Even if the player is never made aware of it and it is solely for the purpose of providing a reference for yourself: what is this place you're building? How long has it been here? What was its original purpose and how did it evolve over time? It might be deserted now, or populated with monsters, but has it always been this way? What is the logic behind its construction? Why are the exits placed where they are placed? What used to be the function of this floor? Why was this floor designed with narrow corridors while this one has a wide open hall?

Lore and purpose would dictate how an environment is populated and (ideally) create a logic that the player can sense which assists immersion.

3. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    It's funny you should mention "housekeepers". You'll see the irony once you play the game :)

All of the environment textures will be redone towards the end of development. I'm also working on further decals and ornamentation such as the cobwebs you see around the place. I definitely agree with you that the environments are too clean if they were to stay exactly as they are currently.

Regarding lore and mythology, this is definitely fundamental to the world-building process. Coldfire Keep certainly has these elements all covered.

4. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Cool. Look forward to giving this a go when it's out. :)

5. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    This just keeps sounding better and better!! Can't wait!! :D

6. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Whatever happened to Descent RPG? Is it not on the app store anymore?

7. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
  8. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Thanks, for some reason no matter what I type in my search nothing pops up, but the link works, strange...

9. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    I can pull it up just fine in the App Store. Are you searching for Descent RPG (like you'd posted above) or Descend RPG (the correct name)? As close as those two names are, the App Store's search engine can't seem to connect the dots. :)

10. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Ah crap, that was my mistake, English is my second language! You would think the search engine would give me a break, anyway thanks!

11. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Hey, no problem. :) I was kinda hoping that the App Store search engine would get an overhaul after Apple aquired Chomp. Alas, nothing of the sort had happened. :(

12. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Well I wrote the thing and even I didn't notice you'd spelt it wrong, so all's forgiven :)

13. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    I've been struggling a little to come up with some great, unique names for a few of the inhabitants of Coldfire Keep. Up until now, I've been referring to them as Goblins, Ogres, etc, but I'd really like something a little different for these guys, even though they essentially fill some of those standard fantasy roles.

It occurred to me that maybe it would be fun to open it up to you guys to come up with the names? I could post a render of a creature and people could either suggest names, or +1 other people's suggestions, and I could pick something from the most popular ones.

Any interest in that? There's only about 3 or 4 that need naming.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sounds good to me. So you mean names as in, for a race/species of creature?

15. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep - that's right.

16. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Yes Steve,

Please post the characters so we can make suggestions for naming them.

That could be fun!

Thanks

17. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Alright. Let's give it a try with this guy...

It's a Goblin-esque creature. Quite unintelligent, but very sinewy and agressive. Their kind resolve all disputes and disagreements with violence.

They avoid other races - both good and evil - but were often conscripted into service as fodder by creatures even more foul than themselves. As such, they are a bitter and angry race that will show no mercy in encounters.

Name that creature!

[​IMG]

18. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    He looks pretty smart to me. Must be those Vulcan ears.

19. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    Well this guy looks like a Terrisian goblin so I say (boggarts) it's a good name!

20. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Terrisian?

Looks like Boggarts is some sort of Harry Potter thing though (according to Google). Also, you say Boggart, I hear Humphrey :)